The moment Pro Wrestling affected you the most.

The Gaffer

• Paid Members

I jumped for joy for Eddie, and even for Jericho at Vengence 2001, but Benoit got me more purely because he was my favourite wrestler.

I will admit, I never got that into the emotion of either Flair's retirement match, or his send-off, even though they were superbly executed, because I never doubted for a second he would wrestle again.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I've similar experiences here to others, so I'll go with a couple of others:

Ric Flair's retirement gave me a real lump in my throat. Thought his last match was an absolute corker and I was devasted watching 'Mania, and I couldn't help but get a little emotional after seeing such an epic send-off given to him. Even now since he's got back in the ring and had some more matches, it still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Fuck whether he had more matches or not, it's still a fucking awesome moment and fully deserved. It's Ric fucking Flair!

Many tears have been mentioned in this thread and I'm totally with folk on that. But in terms of something affecting me I'll also plump for something that gave me a tear or two of joy. Rock's return in February was one of the coolest, epic fucking things ever. Rock was a massive part of my childhood, by far my most favourite wrestler ever and I even like most of his movies. Everyone has a favourite wrestler/actor/sportsmen/entertainer and the like, well Rock ticked all of the boxes for me really. Even in the 7 years he'd been away I'd be bigging him up to whoever would listen to my nonsense. So after awhile, if Rock appeared on TV or at the movies I'd get no end of Facebook mentions tieing me to him, if that makes sense. It's like when people saw him, they thought of me and how I had a rather scary man crush on him. Or there'd be lots of piss taking, "He's never coming back mate! He's an actor now!" And all that. I remained absolutely convinced he'd be back in some kind of fashion on day, but it seems like I was the only one for ages.

Then WHAM, Feb 14th, his music comes on and I went legitimately fucking mental. My Facebook and phone the next day were filled with Rock references and weirdly I got loads of congrats about it, it's like everyone knew how mental I was going. Him coming out to that new music was absolutely boss. When that guitar riff kicks into gear and he finally walks back down to the ring and you see those lads in the crowd jumping up and down in ecstasy, you can't help but feel like bellowing "FUCKING YEEEESS!!!" at the tele. My childhood hero actually came back. A few days later I was on here talking to other UKFF'ers trying to put together a Wrestlemania trip and I then went on to have one of my best holidays ever. Best not mention the strip joint I visited on Powers Ferry Road near Atlanta though, Mrs Loco wouldn't be best pleased. Neither was my wallet.

Magic.

I've always said if I was in that crowd for The Rock's return I would've legit bawled like a fucking baby. I very nearly did when I was watching it live, and I can only imagine what it would've been like to be in the middle of that crowd. They were absolutely magnificent that night. It was built up perfectly, I got chills down my spine, and it was really something I thought would perhaps never happen again.

Eddie Guerrero's tribute video to the track of Johnny Cash's version of 'Hurt' really got me. I think because Eddie was a top star and his death was so sudden and unexpected.

Seeing Sunny during her 'cowgirl' phase when she was managing The Smoking Gunns really affected me a great deal when I was 14, but in a completely different way.

• Paid Members
Seeing Sunny during her 'cowgirl' phase when she was managing The Smoking Gunns really affected me a great deal when I was 14, but in a completely different way.

Yes. My own Sunny fixation was damaging to my health. Absolutely raw.

The Benoit incident, easily.

As a pretty fucking damn big WWF/E fan at the time of the tragedy, and with Benoit being head and shoulders above anyone else in the business in my book at the time of his demise, you can imagine what an impact the horrible, despicable, repulsive actions of that weekend had on my wrestling fandom.

After that, probably the Owen Hart tragedy. My Maa almost talked me into attending church to pray for him in the days following the accident.

I think the only time I ever shed a tear watching wrestling is when The Barbarian and Butch Reed FUCKING CHEATED to defeat Windham and Rhodes when I was about 7.

BUT IT WASN'T FAIR. THEY CHEATED.

Did you not shed a tear at the Macho man reconciliation with Liz after the retirement match at Mania 7? That was the first time I remember crying over Wrestling.

For me it was Shawn Michaels. But not thr Barber Shop nor Vs Martel Martel and not even The Ladder Match at WM, For me , it was Rumble 95 where you had a guy whod be crawling for years to be a main event contender *finally* get a chance to be one. Also, that first time I stayed up all night to watch a PPV and on a schoolnight as well!

• Moderators
Did you not shed a tear at the Macho man reconciliation with Liz after the retirement match at Mania 7? That was the first time I remember crying over Wrestling.

no. As a six year old I wasn't hugely arsed about Macho Man getting back together with someone I barely remembered. Again, I cried and threw a benny when Barbarian and Reed cheated, and that's the only time I have.

Not at the time, but I watched WM7 a few months ago and started blubbing at savage and Elizabeth's reunion. Brilliant stuff.

If they induct him to the Hall of Fame next year I expect I'll be bawling my eyes out. He was my absolute, absolute FAVOURITE as a child. It's lie a bit of my childhood went with him. I hope I'm not their token "crying fan in the crowd" they broadcast.

• Paid Members

They have to. Its in Florida. If he doesnt go in the year after his death, in Florida, he'll never go in. I dont think there's a doubt that he's going in this year. If its Rock vs Cena and Savage as the star inductee, WrestleMania 28's DVD sales will top anything previous.

And yes, I to will probably blub over it.

For me it was Shawn Michaels. But not thr Barber Shop nor Vs Martel Martel and not even The Ladder Match at WM, For me , it was Rumble 95 where you had a guy whod be crawling for years to be a main event contender *finally* get a chance to be one. Also, that first time I stayed up all night to watch a PPV and on a schoolnight as well!

I fell asleep and woke up at the end, gutted about Bulldog getting screwed over.

Archived