The moment Pro Wrestling affected you the most.

The Gaffer

I'm sure this topic has been done in another guise before - and apologies if it has fairly recently - but I've just been thinking this over in my head after a night [one of those] of YouTube wrestling and I've come to the conclusion that Edge's farewell has probably got to me more than anything else after eleven years of being a fan. Not that it hasn't got to anyone else but the average UKFF age seems a bit above mine and I feel this was ... as absurd as it sounds ... 'my' first farewell given it was a guy I grew up watching and was there for his career evolution from start to finish.

It's unreal too that it happened this year. It already feels so long ago. I remember when he came out on Raw and J.R. said 'I hope this is not what I think it is' and pretty much from the word go when he started his speech I was choking up. It only took a few seconds for the kid in me to say 'fuck it just let it all out' and honestly it's the only moment as a fan where I genuinly cried. And I mean cried.

4-11-2011-Edge-Retires.jpg

Anyway be it as a kid or as an adult, as part of the drama or 'knowing' what is going on or whatever : The moment Pro Wrestling affected you the most.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'd say the death of Owen Hart. At that time (at twelve years old), nobody close to me had passed away so Owen was the first person I ever grieved for. Not having Sky at the time, I absolutely cried my eyes out at the Livewire episode on Sky One the week Owen died.

• Paid Members

I'm not someone who cries a lot. Especially over wrestling. I cried when Hogan lost to Warrior when I was 6, but that was it. Never cried over anyones death before. But, I shed a little tear when WWE played the Randy Savage video. I wasnt bawling or anything. Just had a massive lump in my throat. Its a wierd one. I've watched a million Savage matches over the years, and never got to nostalgic, but seeing him on WWE television in those outfits, with those manerisms, to that Coldplay song upset me a bit. I dont know if they did anything to the clips, but all the colours on his outfits were blindingly bright and beautiful. It looked so much better on Raw than the clips from the internet. I forgot who said it when he died, but Savage was a huge part of a lot of our childhoods. I dont think there's many on here who would argue that. He was so well known. My facebook (and many more on here I'm sure) lit up with references to him when he died. He was hugely famous. Not to sound all dramatic or clich

The Invasion when we saw the return of the "Old" Stone Cold.

By the time this came about i was pretty much in the loop as far as the inner workings of wrestling went but still everything about that episode from seeing Vince begging Austin to be a ruthless bastard again to seeing Undertaker, Bradshaw and Freddie Blassie give the WWF locker room some heart breaking speeches was fucking amazing and even to this day the sight of Austin sitting in the bar watching the WWF get destroyed by the Alliance on TV and then blowing his top and smashing shit up before driving over to the arena and beating the living shit out of everybody he can get his hands on makes me weep like a little girl.

I think this promo vid sums it all up and by the way if anybody watches this and they don't feel a little tug on the heartstrings, then they have no soul: WWF Invasion promo

EDIT: here's the video taken from the actual episode of RAW that it all happened on, listen to that crowd combined with JR's commentary.

Appropriate on this day:

The newest episode of IWantWrestling from Dave Lagana covers this.It's a cracking episode with input from JBL,Lillian Garcia and Paul Heyman.

I shed a few tears when Eddie won the WWE title back at No Way Out.The Raw and SmackDown! tribute episodes to him had me balling like a baby especially

seeing big Dave Batista sobbing in the ring and the video set to Johnny Cash's Hurt. Still think of Eddie when I hear this song

• Paid Members
I'm not someone who cries a lot. Especially over wrestling. I cried when Hogan lost to Warrior when I was 6, but that was it. Never cried over anyones death before. But, I shed a little tear when WWE played the Randy Savage video. I wasnt bawling or anything. Just had a massive lump in my throat. Its a wierd one. I've watched a million Savage matches over the years, and never got to nostalgic, but seeing him on WWE television in those outfits, with those manerisms, to that Coldplay song upset me a bit. I dont know if they did anything to the clips, but all the colours on his outfits were blindingly bright and beautiful. It looked so much better on Raw than the clips from the internet. I forgot who said it when he died, but Savage was a huge part of a lot of our childhoods. I dont think there's many on here who would argue that. He was so well known. My facebook (and many more on here I'm sure) lit up with references to him when he died. He was hugely famous. Not to sound all dramatic or clich

• Paid Members
Wrestling affected me in a very angry way on that show when Stephanie McMahon paid her "tribute".

Same here. Leave it to Stephanie to liken the events of 9/11 to the WWF recieving heavy criticism and investigation for being a bunch of sexual deviants. I think that's what she was on about anyway.

I'll be honest, Benoit and Guerrero at Wrestlemania XX. I should have known better but I didn't. Them two climbing the mountain probably marked the end of my time as a bitter miserable workrate nerd because the figureheads had actually made it, and then them two dying took me out of my personal transitional period and into a fan who wants to see people do as little as possible (especially if it even has the chance of hurting somebody) to get over. Their deaths completely altered how I watch wrestling to the point where for me, wrestling doesn't matter, Sports Entertainment being fun does. Cena, PG and no chairshots for a billion years over all the stupid cunts that end up dying and/or broke, mental and penniless.

Also though, I'm the type of person that likes loose ends tying up, and it honestly felt like the greatest Season Finale ever when Bret and Shawn hugged on Raw. The next day it was like I had shook off a cold or something that I didn't even know I had. I mean that too, them two still holding grudges stuck in me so much more than I realised, probably because they're my two all time favourtes and being enemies now was just so stupid.

I cried when Undertaker beat Hogan in 1991, but I wouldn't say that's the moment that most affected me. I'd go with either the Shawn Michaels "Tell Me a Lie" video (I'd just got my first VCR that Christmas and was mad on taping stuff, I think I watched that video on Longplay about ten times a day for weeks), or Edge cashing in his first Money in the Bank. I was a complete anti-Cena knob at the time, and the end of that show (which I'd missed most of because of a horrible lesbian) was as exciting as I can ever remember being. This was a few years after wrestling had stopped being interesting to most people, but my mate rang me straight after it finished. We were both chuffed.

• Paid Members

I cried a little when Owen died, but I cried my fucking eyes out watching Raw the next night. I don't know why I still watch it when Im occasionally spinning through 1999 TV, because it always renders me a useless wreck. Seeing and hearing the grief in his colleagues' voices/faces is too much for me, and especially the shots of him with Davey Boy. A bloke that seemed to bring joy to all that knew him, taken far too young, leaving behind fatherless children who he had been working to look after. What a horrible waste.

Conversely Benoit winning the World title affected me in other ways. He was my favourite at the time and the win seemed so improbable. Admittedly I was partially affected by the box of Spar wine I had consumed during watching Mania (ah, uni days) but when HHH actually submitted, I fell off my armchair and dropped to my knees in shock, cried tears of joy, sprang to my feet and instantly rang my mama, proclaiming "Chris Benoit is the fucking World Champion!" She didn't understand or approve of the language. Me and my bretheren then bounced out into the night to celebrate, downing cocktails and telling anyone that would listen "why aren't you celebrating? Benoit won!" before rolling up the hill to the Union. I was so full of joy I drank far too much, and allowed my hideous ex to drag my back to her lair, where I proceded to ruin her several times, every time thinking about the moment Triple H tapped out. Bit wrong, that.

• Paid Members

See, out of the two title wins, Eddie's got me much much more emotional than Benoit's did; I was screaming at the TV for HHH to tap out and celebrated wildly when he did but with Eddie, I must admit, I was welling up and even shed a little tear or two because of everything he had been through to get that title. Benoit was a great wrestler getting a title he'd worked 20 years for, but Eddie was an addict who fell so low and came back to rise so high that it's pretty untouchable. I balled my fucking eyes out when he died too. Asides from that, a few things have made me well up a bit but nothing hugely substantial asides from Flair's retirement on RAW. The moment that he gets tears in his eyes when his family gets into the ring still sets me off every time, because he's just so raw and open with emotion, and he's one of the best at getting you to emotionally attach yourself to him

Archived