Are You Proud To Be British?

David

What about The British Empire where we invaded and murdered and stole other countries for all the work we did against the Nazi's once up on a time we were no better.

I am truly embarrassed about that past of the British past.

Can anyone really say that's a past to be proud of or it wasn't a disgusting part of our history what should never of happened.

Don't let it bother you, it happened 200 years before you were born. It sound as if you have to defiantly hold back the tears every time you pass a black person in the street.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Don't let it bother you, it happened 200 years before you were born. It sound as if you have to defiantly hold back the tears every time you pass a black person in the street.

Or every time he cleans his ears.

Personally I'm not too bothered about the whole slavery thing because without it I wouldn't have The Wire or Wu-Tang Clan which are two of my most favorite things ever.

:laugh:

I think I consider myself English. As opposed to a Taff, a Sweaty or a Paddy of the Northern variety. This only really applies when talking to anyone from within the British Isles though. In terms of my world view, I obviously consider myself British, as that is the passport I hold.

It's really a very common thing. A Californian will laugh and sneer at someone from Idaho, but he'll fight next to him on the battlefield as a fellow American. It's no different with the nations within Britain, or the United Kingdom to be precise. We're all distinct culturally, yes, but we hugely share more with each other than anyone outside these islands. We've been a single country for hundreds of years, and benefited immensely from the union.

I might make an exception here for the Kingdom of Barrow, which is clearly twinned with Baltimore :/

• Paid Members

I look at the Americans celebrating July 4th, it's a big deal to them, they have a great weekend (what happens when it's a Wednesday?) it'd one of their biggest holidays and it looks like fun.

I look at the Irish (and many other nations) celebrating St Patrick's Day, they also look like they're having a great time. The pubs get involved, guinness hats a plenty, it looks like fun.

I remember the Queen's Jubilee a few years back. The village I live in held a family day on the playing field. We had music, games such as skittles, the horse shoe throwing thing, the stocks, etc. There was a BBQ and a bar and in the evening a live band. It was fun for all the family.

These are are things in celebration of a nation, they don't have to be about saying we're better than you, they're about celebrating something about you're country.

I want Britain to have that, and if the rest of Britain isn't interested then England. Just a good fun day to celebrate who we are.

Sure we have a dodgy past, but so do a lot of countries, it's what made the world what it is today and some of that not all bad. I'd like to hope we are at least a bit more civilised than that now. Although I do sometimes have my doubts!

I would say the royal wedding was a beautiful example of the above.

It was quite interesting to see the amount of people who normally wouldn't give a toss about the royals wrapping themselves in the flag for that day (for myself, I'm a republican, but it would take an even more jaded cunt than myself to have any feelings of spite towards an essentially harmless posh baldy and his inoffensive wife on their wedding day). It even seemed to extend to patriotic wanking, judging by the amount of people working themselves into a frenzy over the thoroughly unremarkable Pippa Middleton and her bony arse.

• Paid Members
It even seemed to extend to patriotic wanking, judging by the amount of people working themselves into a frenzy over the thoroughly unremarkable Pippa Middleton and her bony arse.

THANK YOU. The way people have been going on you'd think she was the second coming of Alexis Texas.

I'm proud to be British (and English), for our traditional values and proud heritage, as well our creativity and music. I went to see the Magna Carta display for a family day out at Salisbury Cathedral yesterday, it reminded me it's something to be proud of as the foundations of liberty.

I'm not so proud when there are wars waged in our name, killing innocent women and children in order to grab more oil.

EDIT:

Tying in with this discussion, do you think the union flag is racist? I'm a member of the British Constitution Group, the group uses the British flag with white dove over it for the Lawful (Peaceful) Rebellion badge. If you are to use the Union flag do most people instantly associate it with the BNP and racism as a first impression?

My opinion is our flag has been hijacked by extreme right-wingers and via political correctness a lot of people are scared to be patriotic and display the flag for what others might think of them.

It was quite interesting to see the amount of people who normally wouldn't give a toss about the royals wrapping themselves in the flag for that day (for myself, I'm a republican, but it would take an even more jaded cunt than myself to have any feelings of spite towards an essentially harmless posh baldy and his inoffensive wife on their wedding day). It even seemed to extend to patriotic wanking, judging by the amount of people working themselves into a frenzy over the thoroughly unremarkable Pippa Middleton and her bony arse.

I didn't give a flying fig about "The Wedding" why should I care about 2 people I've never met will never meet and don't want to ever meet getting married.

I didn't even watch 1 second of it or look in the papers the next day TBH I still don't even know what her dress looked like

Archived