Are You Proud To Be British?

David

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure how much it's been brought up in this topic.... But who calls themselves British? I'm English, I'm not British. It's like calling a man from France 'European'. You have to put up with it from trolling Americans on awful forums, who have very little idea what Great Britain actually is... So much so that now, we are British, and we come from the United Kingdom... Despite most people in the UK hate each other...

Well, it is the same difference. I've been called European. I've been called British. At the end of the day, both are collections of countries. Alright, Europe is a continent. I know a lot of Cornish people who hate even being called English, because they want independence. An awful lot of hate for national identity, that isn't helped with all of this.

The English tendency for fake patriotism pisses me off, the fact that come a football tournament there are flags everywhere, hanging from buildings, little ones on cars etc.

Then once the team of overpaid nobs get beaten, they quickly disappear, not to be seen again for another couple of years.

I consider myself human first and foremost, thats the important bit. After then its British-English-Yorkshireman. I try to avoid the Doncaster bit that comes next.

Don't blame you - lived there for a year and even in the 'nice' part, it was still pretty horrific.

I think of myself as English rather than British.

I am English born and bred and have no link or affiliation with Scotland, Wales or N.Ireland, so I really don't see any benefit to referring to myself as British.

• Paid Members
I'm Welsh. I like the Irish, Scottish and the English (well, most of them).

I don't feel proud to be British at all. It just feels a bit outdated to be honest. Most people care a lot more about their home nation than the union.

I agree with this. I think we'd all probably get along better if the Union didn't exist and we all lived happily as equal neighbours to be honest.

I feel Welsh and nothing else, but there are obviously different facets to everyone's identity. For example, I also grew up on an Island (Anglesey, not the place from Lost) and we're often told we're a bit different to those on the mainland. Not to mention the not too obvious divide between North and South (although we're all friends).

I also grew up speaking Welsh as my first language, which is something we're fiercely defensive of (and is a pretty toxic subject to be honest).

But I could definately relate to some things British, such as comedy etc. Don't feel anything when I see a Union Jack though.

I don't think anyone can be ashamed of British history for invading foreign countries and killing the people who lived there. Every fucking country in history has done that. Please note that we were invaded by the Romans and the Vikings, and I'm pretty sure they didn't do it with a handshake and a bunch of flowers.

Countries invading eachother is how mankind as a species actually managed to progress because ideas, concepts and inventions were spread across the globe. Sure a ton of people got brutally killed but that's just how the world used to be. And to be fair to the British Empire, half the time we eventually would just buy out the country we were invading. There is a world of difference between the Nazi's and the British Empire and nay historian would agree with that. At the time of the British Empire there was plenty of other european countries invading and creating their own colonies.

Yeah, we progressed well, into a species that destroys it's own home more and more every second of the day.

Archived