Are You Proud To Be British?

David

• Paid Members
We all live in a free, democratic society in where we still take care of the less fortunate and elderly in our society, our healthcare is great.

But above all, we Brits have always had a stiff upper lip resolve that kinda binds us all.

I do see your points but the whole democracy thing isn't just something that only Britain does, and given our past of stuff like locking the disabled away to rot out of the sight of the public, I wouldn't say we're built on much of a history of that asides from after WWII and that's still debatable

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
The straw that broke the camel's back in making me Welsh rather than British, is when tabloids would go on about how everyone needs to be proud to be british, and britishness, and then Wales play England in the rugby, and English players get proper player ratings and write ups and the meat of the article of the game is about them, and we get fuck all. Seemingly to be British is to be English amongst the "We must embrace Britishness" crowd.

On this subject, this is one thing that annoys me about the 'PC brigade'. Trying to kill the passion and rivalry in sport. Sport without rivalry is the daftest thing.

Fair enough some thugs take it too far, but the majority of people don't actually hate all of England. They just hate the smugness of the press, considering how shit England actually are at sport. Plus all the history that goes along with sport rivalries.

It's like when people boo a national anthem, who really cares? It's not 1946, do people really get their feelings hurt?

Maybe it's because the British are up there with Americans when it comes to be the cunts of the world?

What all of Britain and America?

The idea of national identity in general leaves me cold, personally, particularly in light of some of the people and things that are supposed to represent 'England' or 'Englishness'. I have about as much in common with David Cameron, The Queen or John Terry as I have with a homeless drug addict somewhere in America (that being that we're all humans who speak some form of the English language).

I have more of a sense of regional identity than I do of Englishness, partially because I think class divisions (and, to an extent, north/south divisions) are still rife in this country, and I'll always feel more of an affinity with your typical glaswegian or dubliner than your average Etonian with a multi-million pound trust fund and a Tory party membership.

To me, the idea of Englishness exists in as far as we share an island and a language, but for the most part I just wonder what planet all these cunts who bought Swagger Jagger and think Michael MacIntyre is the funniest man alive come from.

Let's face it, where would the world be without it, we abolished slavery, and the States eventually followed suit, without us all of Europe or even the world would be a Nazi empire, probably. We led the world in the industrial revolution and did more in a hundred years or so than about a thousand years previously. I don't do pride, but anyone who dosen't care about their nationality and dosen't defend it is just traitorous scum, IMO, same for those who think we have a discusting history, there should be laws against spouting stuff like that, but alas it's a free country.

Let's face it, where would the world be without it, we abolished slavery, and the States eventually followed suit, without us all of Europe or even the world would be a Nazi empire, probably. We led the world in the industrial revolution and did more in a hundred years or so than about a thousand years previously. I don't do pride, but anyone who dosen't care about their nationality and dosen't defend it is just traitorous scum, IMO, same for those who think we have a discusting history, there should be laws against spouting stuff like that, but alas it's a free country.

Have you met Mickey yet?

• Paid Members
The idea of national identity in general leaves me cold, personally, particularly in light of some of the people and things that are supposed to represent 'England' or 'Englishness'. I have about as much in common with David Cameron, The Queen or John Terry as I have with a homeless drug addict somewhere in America (that being that we're all humans who speak some form of the English language).

I have more of a sense of regional identity than I do of Englishness, partially because I think class divisions (and, to an extent, north/south divisions) are still rife in this country, and I'll always feel more of an affinity with your typical glaswegian or dubliner than your average Etonian with a multi-million pound trust fund and a Tory party membership.

To me, the idea of Englishness exists in as far as we share an island and a language, but for the most part I just wonder what planet all these cunts who bought Swagger Jagger and think Michael MacIntyre is the funniest man alive come from.

Could not agree with all this more. I'm far more proud of being a Mancunian than being English / British.

Belting post! :)

You could have at least quoted me, boyo.

• Paid Members

I'm not British, as from Northern Ireland but i'd probably be one of few Pro-Union Catholics, although I have noticed a big rise in this in the middle classes (which i'm part of) I don't feel any anti-english sentiment like many Catholics here do, though I do appreciate my (Republic of) Irish heritage aswell.

• Paid Members

I've always found the idea of national pride to be pretty strange. I get that if you're Scottish or Welsh you might prefer to be identified as such but that's not the same as national pride? I don't see how a person can take pride in something you've had absolutely no input in? Surely, you can be proud of your acheivements or proud of things your relatives/friends have done but being proud of a place, because that's where your mum gave birth to you makes about as much sense as being proud to have blue eyes, or the size of your feet.

same for those who think we have a discusting history, there should be laws against spouting stuff like that, but alas it's a free country.

We just have to be thankful that the likes of you doesn't write the rules then, eh? I have a feeling that you're probably one of the very people who make me embarrassed to be considered British.

Archived