Are You Proud To Be British?

David

• Paid Members
It was quite interesting to see the amount of people who normally wouldn't give a toss about the royals wrapping themselves in the flag for that day

There is a hell of a lot of people out there that really want some sort of national celebration, so for them the Royal Wedding was the perfect opportunity. That evening the vibe in town was so upbeat and positive. People in flags, silly hats. A real feel good party atmosphere. I expect the Queen's Jubilee next year will probably do the same.

you mean "horseshoes"?

Erm, yeah, that'd be the one.

I'm not so proud when there are wars waged in our name, killing innocent women and children in order to grab more oil.

I don't wanna take this too far off topic onto the war, but have we or the American's actually got control of the oil? I know people were saying at the time it was just about oil, but all these years on I'm not aware of that having happened.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a Welsh-language school round here that punishes pupils who are caught speaking English during their break time. Imagine the furore if it were, for example, two children speaking Urdu to each other, or Polish, in the playground. I suspect this policy is illegal, but the kind of parent that sends their child to a school like that actually wants them to be in such an environment. They are also taught French in Welsh, therefore requiring a French-English AND an English-Welsh dictionary for lessons. In fact the only lesson in which any English is permitted is English itself.

My wife has worked in a hospital where such children - not necessarily from the school I'm talking about, but similar ones - have been admitted as an emergency but are incapable of conversing in English, and therefore cannot convey what's wrong with them to the doctors and nurses*. You can strongly argue that it is a matter of time before a child dies or suffers a serious mischief because the education system in Wales has left them incapable of adequately conversing in English. We are not talking about toddlers either; there are pre-teens who literally cannot understand spoken English here.

I'm all for bilingualism, but those who implement the policies seem to have a cut-your-nose-off-to-spite-your-face approach to it.

* And let's not forget that for a sizable proportion of the doctors and nurses, English isn't their first language either.

I don't wanna take this too far off topic onto the war, but have we or the American's actually got control of the oil? I know people were saying at the time it was just about oil, but all these years on I'm not aware of that having happened.

I just did quick search and apparently BP and their Chinese partner have clinched a deal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/ju...lfield-contract

There's one example. A war is a huge investment, very expensive, these wars aren't waged to give people freedom that's all propaganda, a return is expected on that investment. I could go on about Libya but perhaps that's better saved for another thread.

I just did quick search and apparently BP and their Chinese partner have clinched a deal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/ju...lfield-contract

There's one example. A war is a huge investment, very expensive, these wars aren't waged to give people freedom that's all propaganda, a return is expected on that investment. I could go on about Libya but perhaps that's better saved for another thread.

Nah mate, Iraq was to settle an old score for the Bush family & the Oil was seen as a bonus, a spoil of war if you will.

And Afghanistan don't have any oil anyway.

Yeah a lot of the rebulding contracts went to us & america, but even that's proving to be a disaster in a bad economy and unstable countries.

Libya is a strange one though, I will say that, not sure what's going on there, bit shifty.

How do others feel about sporting events like The World Cup one thing I do have against England winning is the fact if England do win you never hear the end of it it's all over for months at least if England lose there is as day or so of moaning and it's over and done with.

Don't get me wrong for the most part I guess I'd prefer for England to win but I can't honestly say I care either way.

Archived