Are You Proud To Be British?

David

A topic that I thought may be interesting following a discussion I had with a few mates in the pub during the Scotland game on Saturday.

Basically, the discussion was based on the feeling of people who are part of the United Kingdom but don't feel any real allegiance to Britain, or who don't feel British at all. I imagine that the views of some people from England would be different, but it would be interesting to hear from our Irish & Welsh forum members, and also from those who do feel proud to be British.

Personally, I don't feel any real pride in being British. I'm Scottish of Irish descent (my father was born in Eire) and feel closer to my Scottish/Irish heritage than I ever could towards my British heritage.

To be honest, I think it's a bit of an embarrassment when I'm abroad and foreigners classify me as British.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
To put it bluntly, yes.

Elaborate, coz I wouldn't be proud to be Irish or British...and I've a mix of both.

I guess I'd be more proud to be Irish, if pushed though, purely because of the underdog throughout periods of history tales - which admittedly, has long since vanished from our mindset and culture - but it's a very interesting history to have, nonetheless.

I'm with David there, when it comes to being classed as British on holidays. I remember going to Kusa Dasi in Turkey and some Tommy McGurks flew past on a mophead screaming "FUKA YOOO ENGLISH WHORE!" which sounded more like "PPPPNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Uhooooooo".

Discrazed and discouraging.

• Paid Members

I consider myself Welsh more than anything. Being British is very much an English mentality to have in my opinion. The classic thought on this is that as soon as an athlete becomes succesful he stops being Welsh/Scottish/Irish in the media and becomes BRITISH.

• Paid Members
I've never really got why Scottish people get so defensive when people refer to them as British. I'm not nationalistic, as it's a bit fruitless in the modern world, but I'm certainly not ashamed of being British.

I've never got this either. I'm proud to be English and British, but yet I feel the English have less national pride than the Scottish/Welsh/Irish.

• Moderators

The straw that broke the camel's back in making me Welsh rather than British, is when tabloids would go on about how everyone needs to be proud to be british, and britishness, and then Wales play England in the rugby, and English players get proper player ratings and write ups and the meat of the article of the game is about them, and we get fuck all. Seemingly to be British is to be English amongst the "We must embrace Britishness" crowd.

Archived