Are You Proud To Be British?

David

• Paid Members
What about The British Empire where we invaded and murdered and stole other countries for all the work we did against the Nazi's once up on a time we were no better.

I am truly embarrassed about that past of the British past.

Can anyone really say that's a past to be proud of or it wasn't a disgusting part of our history what should never of happened.

Not our fault they didn't have a flag.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are HUGE, incomparable differences between the British Empire and the Hitlers regime, for one, ours wasn't ideologically driven, we didn't have sick prejudices like that, not to that extent, anyway, it was strictly business, not personal, and really, back in those days it had to happen, do you think Italy is or should be ashamed of the Roman empire, I doubt it.

As for comedians, I don't really trust anyone who dosen't like big Berney, he was a likeable working Northern lad, who everyone could relate to in one way or another, and he was very good at his craft, he actually was funny, naturally. Davidson, on the other hand, i'm not a fan of, he's vulgar I find, makes jokes about disabled people, dosen't know where to draw the line.

• Moderators
As for comedians, I don't really trust anyone who dosen't like big Berney, he was a likeable working Northern lad, who everyone could relate to in one way or another

I can't relate to racist Northern Englishmen.

• Paid Members
There are HUGE, incomparable differences between the British Empire and the Hitlers regime, for one, ours wasn't ideologically driven, we didn't have sick prejudices like that, not to that extent, anyway, it was strictly business, not personal, and really, back in those days it had to happen, do you think Italy is or should be ashamed of the Roman empire, I doubt it.

Where's that Steve Austin gif from tough enough?

• Paid Members

I manage to both agree and disagree with you.

The British Empire expanded as, to put it very basicly, it was the way to be the healthiest and remain strong and safe back then. But at the same time we had a definite racist ideology going on, we saw other cultures as below us and we acted like they were children. That was regardless of the culture, Africa, Asia, Europe, America, if you werent British then you werent as good, as cultured, as smart, strong or brave.

TBH I do think they should be as should any country who has invasion and murder as a big part of their past and I don't see how it really had to happen it saw something we wanted and took it and brutally murdered anyone who didn't like it.

And business not personal doesn't come into it that's like murdering someone for financial gain then just saying don't worry it's nothing personal just business.

And you can't say prejudice wasn't part of it of course it was.

• Paid Members
TBH I do think they should be as should any country who has invasion and murder as a big part of their past and I don't see how it really had to happen it saw something we wanted and took it and brutally murdered anyone who didn't like it.

And business not personal doesn't come into it that's like murdering someone for financial gain then just saying don't worry it's nothing personal just business.

And you can't say prejudice wasn't part of it of course it was.

So, all of them then?

Seems a bit harsh to blame all of Italy for the Roman Empire, personally.

So, all of them then?

Seems a bit harsh to blame all of Italy for the Roman Empire, personally.

Yeah most countries have invaded somewhere else as part of their past and I would bet most people now are not proud of that past and I'm not blaming Italy but I'm sure like a lot of British they are not 100% proud of that part of their countries history.

• Paid Members

I don't think anyone can be ashamed of British history for invading foreign countries and killing the people who lived there. Every fucking country in history has done that. Please note that we were invaded by the Romans and the Vikings, and I'm pretty sure they didn't do it with a handshake and a bunch of flowers.

Countries invading eachother is how mankind as a species actually managed to progress because ideas, concepts and inventions were spread across the globe. Sure a ton of people got brutally killed but that's just how the world used to be. And to be fair to the British Empire, half the time we eventually would just buy out the country we were invading. There is a world of difference between the Nazi's and the British Empire and nay historian would agree with that. At the time of the British Empire there was plenty of other european countries invading and creating their own colonies.

I think it's fair to say the Roman Empire did a lot more good than the British Empire.

No doubt they did a lot of good it's just a shame it was achieved via a lot of unnecessary death.

A thing I forgot to say about my Nazi comment do you really think the people we invaded thought any different of us then the people who the Nazi's invaded thought of them.

I don't really "get" national pride. I might really like England, or parts of it at least, but there's still tons of dicks, awful things happening, and a shady history to boot. Which is pretty much the same as everywhere, so I really don't understand the mentality of over-patriotic flag-wavers and the like.

Archived