The Lucha Libre Thread

Vamp

• Paid Members

Always thought the Wyatts should have had someone like Matanza in the group. Someone they kept locked up in their hut for special occassions who doesnt feel pain. A Leatherface type character who destroys everyone but doesnt talk.

As far as the show, what else can be said? Its worth a tenner of your money if you had to pay for it. pay-per-view level quality on free television. Just a brilliant 60 minutes of TV, featuring a shit load of over characters. Loved it.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fuck Jack Evans is dead. Must be.

And what is Striker doing quoting Jebediah Springfield? I thought he was getting better but nope right back to his cringeworthy best.

Matanza looked great. Isn't the guy playing some sort of amateur champ or olympian?

• Paid Members

Matanza looked great. Isn't the guy playing some sort of amateur champ or olympian?

Yep, it's Jeff Cobb, who had a pretty standout round-matted wrestling career. He's been a regular on the Californian indie scene for a while now, and was seriously on WWE's radar at one point.

Just wow. That episode blew me away. I loved it, from top to bottom. Worries about how Matzana would look were gone the second he showed up, broader/wider than anyone near him, and just throwing people around like crazy. The reaction to Fenix being eliminated was great. Everyone was like "YYYEAAAAH!" then they seemed to realise it was Fenix and started booing. Dario has been missed, big time. His "Welcome Back" chant was exactly how I was feeling. Catrina's F Bomb, as mentioned, was brilliant. Proper 'in the moment' stuff.

Rey looked good, didn't he? He's getting on a bit, and I understand his knees are fucked? Moved around really well. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does against guys like Drago/Aerostar/Fenix etc. 

Aztec Warfare gave me goosebumps, twice, and I don't think I've had that in recent memory. 

Just imagine what Lucha Underground could do with a legit monster, like in the 6'4 - 6'6 range, holy shit, a Braun Strowman that can actually work, in that environment, with those guys bumping for him. Stick Matanza's mask on Strowman and im genuinely scared, and I'm 30 years old. I reckon he could pick up and throw someone like Drago over the border into Mexico.

Holy fuck. Whoever booked that show is a megastar.

Rey Rey looked like a new man - despite struggling with his mask (looked like he had two on), he put a stellar shift in. Loved the seated senton into armbar - a nice call to the kung fu Mr Miyagi vignettes he's been in with Dragon Azteca Jr. DAJ also looked surprisingly good, much smoother than I thought he'd be (is he someone I should know, like Hijo de Phantasma as Cuerno?) and I love me a buckle dive.

The gringos were marvellous dicks - Mundo trying to join in the beat down then getting set on was a great little moment. Taya is wonderful filth. RIP Jack.

Matanza is going to kill everyone, and in a really REALLY good way. Rumours were right that Aztec Warfare was where everything was going to kick off. Pentagon vs Muertes, while Matanza eats people. That's got me viewing for the next few weeks.

• Paid Members

Well that was definitely the best wrestling booking since Deadly Game. The sheer amount of character and storylines in this were amazing. So many good moments. It was only 40 minutes but I felt like I was watching some 3 hour epic movie. Simply incredible and the best match/show of the year so far and I don't see how anything could top it. I don't even know how wrestling as a whole could top it. It's wrestling at it's best really. 

How long has the Mantanza build being going on for? It's easily the longest built debut of the modern era. He didn't disappoint, the bloke is basically a fridge with arms that wants to kill you. Great stuff.

Thats easily my favourite match of the year so far, I can't see anything touching it

• Paid Members

Only really dipped in and out of LU but that episode was fantastic. Everyone seemed over, everyone got their character across and it was non stop. Is it Chavo that's booking / working as the agent for the matches?

Sami Callihan/Solomon Crow has been signed, he was pretty shit in NXT but I can imagine LU can bring out any positives he has.

Just to echo everyone else that show was amazing, I can def see Paul London being an agent behind some of the mad crap that goes on, he seems pretty out there with his ideas.

Archived