The Lucha Libre Thread

Vamp

Just announce for Dos legends on 03/18/16:

-Negro Casas vs Volador Jr. (hair vs hair)

-Maximo vs. Rush (hair vs hair)

I'm a few weeks behind but Rush/Maximo has come out of nowhere right? i thought we were heading for Rush/Cibernetico.

Both Hair matches will be infinitely better than a Thunder singles match.

I don't know, did Ciber 'cross over' to a CMLL show yet? Maybe he did a couple of Fridays ago. Defo, these matches be better!

The build to big matches is often non existent these days. It's really sad. They usually only give a few weeks, if that, to 'heat up' a match wheras they used to build up stuff pretty well long term. 

Strangely, they keep doing the old school build with, of all people, Thunder - then he drops out just before the match takes place. Nobody can understand Thunder. Yes, he is married to Satanico's daughter but even with those ties his push is bizarrely strong. I have no idea what else he can do for them unless he's got some scandalous photos of the boss or something. I mean, surely they can get steroids easily enough without importing from Oz?

I think Thunder might be the worst Luchador I've ever seen. For example, the way he always looks back at where he's going to fall first says he's in the wrong business. Can't promo. Can't be depended on at all to turn up for a blow off match.

Christ he's the shits.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know, did Ciber 'cross over' to a CMLL show yet? Maybe he did a couple of Fridays ago. Defo, these matches be better!

The build to big matches is often non existent these days. It's really sad. They usually only give a few weeks, if that, to 'heat up' a match wheras they used to build up stuff pretty well long term. 

I don't know if he's fully crossed over but he's had some fun relevos increibles matches on CMLL shows. Rush really brings the hate to him. Ciber's looked better in CMLL than he's looked in AAA for years, he's never going to be called good but i am strangely looking forward to Rush/Ciber.

I didn't know about him being with Satanico's daughter. Do they need help getting roids in mexico? i thought you went to mexico for roids? :D

Edit: i didn't mean to post them as vids. i guess you don't have to use the [media] thingy

I think LU is just in a holding pattern while we wait for Mil to 'recover' from his injury and for Mysterio to debut. There's also no Sexy Star wrestling and a bit too much PJ Black already. Most of season 1 was being introduced to new characters, mainly whom we knew nothing about (save for the few who watch Mexican wrestling regularly). It also had the ongoing highly compelling story of the Trios champs. And of course Dario. It'll pick up. Ladder match next week. That'll be the kickstarter because whoever wins is going to demand their title shot shortly thereafter.

I'm enjoying the build up of guys from all sides putting Mil in their crosshairs, he might be an unstoppable monster but the numbers game could easily change that. I'm personally hoping that Pentagon JR ends up being the one to dethrone him in a hellacious hardcore style match, not unlike the one with Vampiro and we've seen that Mil can go in those enviroments.

I think Thunder might be the worst Luchador I've ever seen. For example, the way he always looks back at where he's going to fall first says he's in the wrong business. Can't promo. Can't be depended on at all to turn up for a blow off match.

Is there any video evidence of this for those of us unfamiliar with his work?

Is there any video evidence of this for those of us unfamiliar with his work?

Is this for a court case? 

:) Luchablog posted plenty of GIFS in his reviews. About a month and a bit back. I think in Puebla vs. Rush he did it a few times.

The shits!

Yeah they're charging.

'Lucha Underground is now available to watch on iTunes the company announced in the last 24 hours.  

39 episodes of season one and a season pass for the currently airing season two is available for purchase on iTunes today.

The following press release was issued:

FactoryMade Ventures has announced the addicting original “Lucha Underground” is available exclusively on iTunes starting today. Coined by Slate as “one of the most riveting shows on TV” and “the best-kept secret in pro wrestling” by RollingStone.com, the action-packed, high-flying lucha libre wrestling series from Emmy Award®-winning producer Mark Burnett, MGM, Robert Rodriguez and FactoryMade Ventures and Skip Film is now available at www.itunes.com/LuchaUnderground for $1.99 SD / $2.99 HD per episode, $34.99 SD / $44.99 HD for Season 1, and $29.99 SD / $39.99 HD for a Season 2 Season Pass.

“Lucha Underground” content on iTunes includes all 39 episodes from Season 1, the first five episodes of Season 2, and additional new episodes the day after they air on El Rey Network (Wednesdays at 8PM ET/PT). Starting today through March 28th, fans can get the Season 2 premiere of “Lucha Underground” for free, and the Season 2 trailer will be available for free indefinitely.

Ancient tradition, extraordinary athleticism, and a flare for theatrics combine in El Rey Network’s wrestling series, “Lucha Underground,” currently in season two premiering every Wednesday at 8PM ET/PT. The riveting original introduces American audiences to the high-flying aerial maneuvers, slingshot moves, dramatic masks, intricate, rapid-fire combinations and distinctive wrestling techniques of lucha libre, one of Mexico’s most popular sports. Fans have a ringside seat as masked villains and heroes face off to battle for wrestling supremacy. The weekly series provides enthusiastic viewers with an incredibly visceral and explosive experience with a focus on the artistry, originality, intense action and over-the-top characters that have come to define this phenomenal fan-favorite. A celebration of lucha libre’s long-standing Mesoamerican heritage and culture dating back to 1863, this is programming that must be seen to be believed.

“Lucha Underground” is produced by MGM Television in association with FactoryMade Ventures for El Rey Network. Executive producers are Mark Burnett and Eric Van Wagenen (also showrunner); Dorian Roldán from Lucha Libre AAA; Alejandro Garcia and Antonio Cué Sánchez-Navarro; El Rey Network co-founder Robert Rodriguez; FactoryMade Ventures and El Rey Network co-founders John Fogelman and Cristina Patwa and Skip Chaisson of Skip Films and El Rey Network. The series airs on El Rey Network and is distributed internationally by MGM Television.'

Credit: wrestlingnewssource.com

A show of two halves this week. The first being a rushed set of angles/non-matches (including a contender for worst LU match ever between Sexy Star and Kobra Moon - good god what a poor addition to the roster) and too many vignettes, none of which added much. The second being a well paced stunt match - the type we all started loving LU because of. 

I feel that LU is really missing Dario Cueto. He's a fantastic character, and it just seems a bit empty with him gone.

That said, it also feels like everything is moving a lot slower than Season 1, but we are only 6 episodes in. I expect things will pick up at/after Aztec Warfare.

I've recently seen a picture of a man named Gronda/Gronda XXX/Groon XXX, and a few other varieties. I've only managed to find one match of his though, competing in a trios match against another Gronda. He looks the business, but I'd like to see if he can do the business in the ring. Anyone know where the best place to look would be? (obviously, I've tried YouTube etc). It's a shame he's retired, I think he'd fit in nicely with LU. 

• Paid Members

I feel that LU is really missing Dario Cueto. He's a fantastic character, and it just seems a bit empty with him gone.

That said, it also feels like everything is moving a lot slower than Season 1, but we are only 6 episodes in. I expect things will pick up at/after Aztec Warfare.

I've recently seen a picture of a man named Gronda/Gronda XXX/Groon XXX, and a few other varieties. I've only managed to find one match of his though, competing in a trios match against another Gronda. He looks the business, but I'd like to see if he can do the business in the ring. Anyone know where the best place to look would be? (obviously, I've tried YouTube etc). It's a shame he's retired, I think he'd fit in nicely with LU. 

Gronda is... the shits. He really is. Imagine the worst wrestler you've ever seen, inject him with steroids and put a devil mask on him. That's Gronda.

Talking of shit wrestlers, I saw Shane Strickland - aka Lucha Underground's Killshot - 3 times over the weeke3nd. He was ace. What is it about putting on the Killshot mask that makes him so bad???

Archived