WWE RAW 29/08

Ron Simmons

Hmm, I think they've decided to go with HHH/Nash as the main feud and push Punk out of it now. Specially with Punk seemingly getting involved with Truth and Miz...it does seem to be more aboit Triple H losing control etc now than Nash just coming for Punk. I'm expecting Nash vs. Triple H at Survivor Series.

Also, with the brands uniting etc, I don't really see a need for 2 World Champions, thinking about it, they might even merge the belts at Survivor Series, with, dare i say it, Cena vs. Orton...

EDIT :-

Oh hang on, just seen this...

The creative staff, feeling under a lot of pressure to put together two strong television shows this week, was changing much of the script for Raw on Monday leading up to the live event. The plan was for Triple H to return to the ring at the Survivor Series, but obviously, an audible was called after it was announced that CM Punk would face Kevin Nash at the Night of Champions PPV. For an unknown reason, Triple H changed the match at the end of Raw to himself vs. Punk. The word backstage last night was that Nash’s removal from the PPV was due to medical reasons, but we should know more on the situation shortly.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Surely a Triple H win is on the cards then? After the way Punk's disrespected him recently, its against every single thing that we've come to know and love Triple H for since 1998, if he lays down convincingly after the way Punk's went on with him. I had my doubts over whether Kevin Nash was walking out a winner, but HHH isnt losing that one is he? Not talking about a "politics" thing either. I'm talking more from how against his character it would be to take so much abuse without retaliation and still do one in the middle. That isnt the way a star ever does or should do business.

the word backstage last night was that Nash’s removal from the PPV was due to medical reasons, but we should know more on the situation shortly.

But ... they only announced the Punk vs Kev match last night. Surely if it was medical reasons, why didnt they just say "your not under contract, your not fighting him?" Makes no sense to announce the match and then scramble around changing it.

• Paid Members

The real Kevin Nash is back, bitches. World class delivery on the mic, and the crowd were very hot for him. What a world of difference having theme music makes.

CM Punk pretending to be sick for about half an hour was beyond cringeworthy. I'm going to pretend that his jobber entrance against Miz was punishment for it.

AIRBOOM! is the worst tag team name of all time. The Vickie Guerrero show w/Ziggler and Swagger continues its pointless demonstration in how to not get new talent over.

The main event was great. Every interaction Henry and Sheamus have had so far has been fantastic, Sheamus is getting some great reactions as a face.

I'm not convinced the HHH/Punk announcement was legit. I think it's just a hook to tune into Smackdown tonight. I'm still confident we'll get Nash vs Punk at the ppv. In saying that though, I'd be happy with Nash getting involved in a HHH/Punk match, if it was setting up Nash/Punk for Hell In A Cell.

People should at least give it til past tonight before complaining. I'm honestly happy any way they choose to go with it. Either HHH returns to the ring, or Nash does. Win/win.

Maybe something happened between announcing the match, and then Triple H changing it. Nash hurt himself jacknifing Punk maybe? Maybe Nash came backstage and tripped over a cable or summat :laugh:

Fuck knows, it's very odd though to change the match like that, if having Triple H/Punk was the plan all along why even bother announcing Nash/Punk

Only seen the opening segment but it was car crash. Kevin Nash looks ridiculous, acts ridiculous and sounds ridiculous, nothing from him comes across as authentic whatsoever. Punk was embarrassingly bad during this, his character has changed for the worst since the week before Summerslam. Why Nash has been brought back in, in 2011 when he looked off the pace in 2003 is bizarre. Really lost interest in this one now.

• Paid Members

I really didn't mind the Punk/Mr. H's/Nash segment at the start. The crowd reacted to everything, Nash didn't stumble and look lost and Punk pretending to vomit summed up what I felt about the "best bud" exchange between Nash and Mr. H's.

I do fear for the worst though. WWE going back to the norm is exactly what they don't need. Punting Punk back down to the midcard, when nobody is producing numbers is incredibly short sighted.

Why did the end of Raw have to happen? It was going entertaining before that.

• Paid Members

I don't know how that opening segment managed to be so bad. You have three of the best mic guys of all time together in one segment - and it was shit. Nash seemed to be holding himself back again (although he was fantastic when he came out to Jacknife Punk later, his mannerisms were awesome), Punk needs to have the mic taken off him for a while because he's been well over the top the last couple of weeks, and HHH seemed to think he was acting in one of his crappy films again. Shite.

In fact, Punk was terrible all the way through last night, and I say that as a Punk fan. His reactions to Miz's promo were all wrong and enough with the fucking Steph gags.

• Paid Members

Yeah, he was doing the exact shit Cena gets hammered for. Like pretending to be sick, which seemed to last forever. His reactions were over the top and he was very unlikable in the segment. He actually reminded me of Mike Sanders in around 2000 time, where he comes across like he thinks what he's doing is getting over, but it isnt. For an angle littered with insider references, its amazing how contrived it comes across. The CM Punk of early July and the CM Punk of late August is night and fucking day. Its unbelievable how much momentum he's lost.

On the other hand, people just love Randy Orton. Its strange. I like Orton and everything, but he's just super over with the audience. He doesnt have any silly catchphrases, he doesnt have any cheap heat manerisms like Rock, Hogan, Cena and Austin and everyone else has, he isnt shoved down our throat, he isnt even on the main show and he just strolls to the ring and strolls out again. He's got the Batista thing, where even if he has obvious flaws, the fans just ignore them because they are into him.

It feels like Punk is being far too "face-like" at the moment. His first weeks of shoot style promos gave him a real tweener feel, but now that he's being presented as a face, the edge has gone.

I still think they should have made a far bigger deal of the new contract he 'signed' for triple H, when he returned with the belt. They should have kept his heelish stuff up by having a bunch of ludicrous stipulations in his contract, that Triple H had to bend to. For all his talk of "shaking things up" he's now back into an upper-midcard feud, while Cena is the number one contender again, closing the show.

I do hope they have some more decent twists in store for the whole HHH/Nash/Punk deal.

• Paid Members
Yeah, he was doing the exact shit Cena gets hammered for. Like pretending to be sick, which seemed to last forever. His reactions were over the top and he was very unlikable in the segment. He actually reminded me of Mike Sanders in around 2000 time, where he comes across like he thinks what he's doing is getting over, but it isnt. For an angle littered with insider references, its amazing how contrived it comes across. The CM Punk of early July and the CM Punk of late August if night and fucking day. Its unbelievable how much momentum he's lost.

On the other hand, people just love Randy Orton. Its strange. I like Orton and everything, but he's just super over with the audience. He doesnt have any silly catchphrases, he doesnt have any cheap heat manerisms like Rock, Hogan, Cena and Austin and everyone else has, he isnt shoved down our throat, he isnt even on the main show and he just strolls to the ring and strolls out again. He's got the Batista thing, where even if he has obvious flaws, the fans just ignore them because they are into him.

For me, the problem they have with Punk is that they seemed to have expected him to keep producing the same quality of promos that he was producing last month, but it's just not possible. You can't just keep giving him the mic and expect him to produce the same quality. But he has to be blamed as well, as he's been arseing around looking as if he's not treating it all seriously, which is clearly the wrong route for this storyline. He needs to go back and remember why his initial shoot and the latter stages of his exchange with Cena during the contract negotiations were so great - because he wasn't TRYING to be funny and he was largely being serious. That's when he's at his best.

But Orton is splendid, I have to agree. I'm thoroughly won over by him and his feud with Henry is so intriguing.

Ziggler's selling was incredible in that match, Orton's moves looked fucking amazing. Loved the intense DDT spot through the ropes, the set up for the RKO and execution was brilliant as well.

Never used to enjoy Orton's matches, and many of his new moves he did with Ziggler last night he won't be able to do to Mark Henry, but once he gets past Henry and works with a smaller more flexible guy again, his matches are gonna be a real highlight.

If only he could sort his promo's out. As a heel i liked him on the mic, but he clearly isnt comfortable talking as a face. He never has been. But yeah, really enjoying Orton at the minute and last night showcased that, good timing on his/WWE's part with his new DVD just round the corner...

I'm not entirely convinced, yet, that they've thrown in the towel with this; after all, Punk/Nash/HHH opened the show, Punk had a strong showing at the top of the hour and then fought off two 'top' guys and then the Punk/HHH announcement was the story as the show closed. I am willing to give them time, and obviously we haven't seen their hand yet, but something is starting to stink.

As for Punk, yeah he could probably do with toning his cocky shite act because I think he's in danger of turning the crowd on him but, and it's a big but, when he does serious he looks like the absolute man. Walking down to the ring to face Nash and saying 'i'm done talkin...let's fight' made him look a killer the other week, his staredowns always come across well and after mugging off Miz/Truth and shouting at Nash 'COME ON...LETS FIGHT' he looked like a superstar.

If the feud isn't done with, I hope that the match is screwy as shit and has Nash/HHH/Laurinitis/Steph playing happy families at the end so that Punk can rediscover his cross side...

• Paid Members

I really like Ziggler but I feel he's just lacking something, and I'm not sure what it is. He has a good look, has had great matches with all kinds of opponents, and he can usually go pretty well on the mic. It could just be a case of giving him a crack with the title at some point and seeing how he does and hope that ends up more like a Sheamus and less like a Swagger.

Archived