WWE RAW 29/08

Ron Simmons

• Paid Members

So...did anyone watch it? Weird way to announce the end of the brand split if that's the idea, although I assume given the nature of it it'll just be a temporary thing.

Really enjoyed Orton/Ziggler, and I'm intrigued at Punk/Hunter at NOC although it's potentially an absolute hot-shot moment.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately for CM Pumk, I think the baby may have gone out with the bathwater.

The monday supershow seems to be anattempt at ratings shock treatment, which may mean different priorities at the top of the card if they feel that what they have isn't working.

Also, no Bertie...?

The HHH/Punk thing was a mahoosive curveball; and whilst i'm the first to defend a curveball, it does stink of (as I said earlier) throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Perhaps it is the reactionary nature of the 'Supershow' idea, but something stinks. Given there was no pre-advertising or hyperbole, the 'Supershow' idea in itself sounds like something that was rushed out the front door as a bit of shock treatment to spike ratings; given that they've been stagnant, if not falling, for ages. I imagine the fact that they've thought outside of the box with Punk and brought back Triple H/Nash and still not reaped the slightest of rewards has made them panic a bit.

This is why i'm worried that this thought process has led them to believe that the Punk/Nash/HHH arc is dead on its feet, and they're rushing that through the back door. Which is a shame, as i'm not sure that one feud has the power to be such a draw anymore; the sheer lack of star power, which is then divided amongst two shows, has probably been a bigger determinant of shite ratings (and, admittedly, they've done something to address that) and the fact that wrestling just isn't relevant to the mainstream anymore.

Worryingly, these thoughts aren't new to the WWE and, if i'm right, history suggests that they'll go back to their default position; using so-called 'big names' to massage the ratings. This will mean we'll probably get Nash w/ Vince vs. HHH w/Steph and John Laurinitis as the special guest referee. Which is naff.

I thought it was pretty good, and ending the split would be the best thing they could possibly do to freshen things up. Good move if they stick with it.

Really enjoyed Orton/Ziggler. Both looked good and Ziggler wasn't made out to be a pushover. Shame he's being saddled with a Jack Swagger feud.

Hunico looked ok, and the match was a fun little exhibition with some great looking flying. That said, Mistico would be crucified for that botched headscissors, not to mention blatantly pointing Swagger to the entranceway to take the dive.

Was half asleep by the end so can't say much about the main event, but I would be surprised if they gave away Punk/HHH so soon on a 'B' PPV. No problems from me if they do though.

Finally, that's the last time I watch an American stream when i'm Hank Marvin. Was good for getting a glimpse of upcoming movies though.

• Paid Members

I'm willing to remain optimistic about the Punk/HHH storyline. Austin/McMahon had a free match on Raw early on, that ended in such a way that it furthered the feud and you wanted more. Maybe they'll do something similar (although this is THE match of the PPV). It does however feel like they've panicked again, further damaging things long term.

The biggest fear is that Triple H beats Punk and the real angle is Nash v Triple H, like dAz stated. As much as I like Nash and Triple H, both men should not be wrestling in 2011 without the ultimate goal of getting younger talent over. TNA get shat on for having similar feuds.

I'd be 'Goldberg getting jobbed out at Summer Slam 03' pissed off if they kill Punk in the next wee while. It's pretty damning on WWE that they fucked up yet another story/push. Actually the more I think about this, the more I'm worried.

Hopefully this is the end of the brand split though. That thing has done more harm than good (thanks to WWE fucking things up) and is stupid now, given the lack of star power.

Also, I was more up for Punk v Nash than Punk v Triple H.

I'm with Jackson, in the short term I was far more interested in Punk/Nash. Though, saying that, the Punk/HHH staredown at the top of the show made me look forward to a slow build towards HHH/Punk.

I think at NoC, had Punk hoisted Nash up onto his shoulders and nailed him with the GTS then it'd have given him another little nudge over the edge.

That said, we've two more Raw's to go and it all could change; though I genuinely can't think of a credible tool at their disposal, that they could use to reverse the HHH/Punk announcement. At the minute, I think the best we can hope for is that it's a short match, that teases what's to come, but ends with a screwy finish such as Nash 'sticking' Punk and furthering the mystery as to who is telling the truth.

But, given the 'blurb' on WWE.com...

As revealed by WWE's Chief Operating Officer on Raw, the personification of anti-establishment clashes with the supreme WWE authority figure at Night of Champions when CM Punk meets Triple H.

...it does seem as if they're using the sort of terminology that i'd imagine they'd have used in a feud closing match. Cripes.

• Paid Members

Yeah, giving away CM Punk vs Triple H this early seems to suggest they've thrown their hands up with this one. Also, the inclusion of Orton, Sheamus, Mizark and a few others on Raw surely cant be good for his stock in the promotion. Even if this is part one of a feud with Triple H, there isnt a chance they'll drag this out until WrestleMania, which is what everyone thought was the way the angle had to, should do and would do. It isnt even like its a big PPV. Night of Champions is as much a B-show as any you'll find.

The ratings at the minute are terrible, the MITB buyrate was a shot in the ribs after all the build they did for it and early indicatons say the SummerSlam buyrate is rotten as well. On form, WWE usually would have jacked it in long before this. Wouldnt be surprised if Triple H moved his attention to Orton after this. When in doubt they usually moved to big star. Or many a Cena vs Triple H feud, before the Rock comes in.

Archived