WWE RAW 29/08

Ron Simmons

Here we go :-

Credit: PWInsider.com

WWE officials made the decision some time in the past week or so that Kevin Nash won't be wrestling for them. It's likely Nash will stick around for the time being and participate in the occasional angle but unless something changes, he won't be having a match. This is why CM Punk vs. Kevin Nash at Night of Champions was changed to Punk vs. Triple H. WWE knew going into RAW last night that Nash wouldn't be wrestling.

Nash recently went to Pittsburgh to do physicals for the company and something happened there that made them decide that they don't want Nash in the ring taking bumps and doing something as physical as a whole match. There is still some chance that Nash could end up wrestling but something happened after the physicals that have put a roadblack in front of Nash's return match.

The decision to put Triple H in the match with Punk wasn't made until yesterday. The original plans had Punk going over Nash at Night of Champions.

Doesnt sound great for Big Kev, health wise, if they didnt want him in a match at all i guess, we'll see. Still begs the question why announce Nash/Punk if there was never any chance of it happening.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Meltzer, said thats the rumour, but he has his doubts about whether any of this is true according to the Raw audio show. PWPopup also reported that MITB drew 240,000 of whatever the mental number was, so best wait until someone credible reports it.

If he had his medical, why announce a match, why say he's signed to a contract, why give him music? If they knew the result before hand, why do all that? Nash wrestled for TNA for years without a major injury. Its not like Nash is doing house shows and working TV every week.

If that's true, and I hope it is, and they haven't put the brakes on Punk/HHH then I can only assume that either Nash is going to nigh on kill Punk in the coming weeks, and take the match off the card, or they're going to go down the super screwy route to drag the feud out. Either way, the estimated longevity of the feud has to be revised if they're pulling the trigger on the first meeting so soon.

Meltzer, said thats the rumour, but he has his doubts about whether any of this is true according to the Raw audio show. PWPopup also reported that MITB drew 240,000 of whatever the mental number was, so best wait until someone credible reports it.

If he had his medical, why announce a match, why say he's signed to a contract, why give him music? If they new the result before hand, why do all that?

Ian, please stop being logical. It's dampening my spirits.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I liked the promos too.

I loved Punk in that whole segment, even if the Family Guy vomiting joke was a bit overdone. He wasn't as likeable, but frankly, I don't care about that. I don't look to like CM Punk - I look to find him interesting. That entire segment came across as him goading and goading and goading.

If there's not a backstage reason for the change in card, my guess is that HHH will change the match again tomorrow night, back to Nash/Punk.

Everything should hopefully become a lot clearer tonight on SmackDown, but I can't see anything too big going down, as i'd imagine they'll close the show with Orton/Christian, so any blockbuster happenings with Nash/HHH/Punk will probably have to wait till next week's RAW.

WWE have booked this angle, on the whole, pretty damn good so far. So it's worth not giving up hope on them just yet for hotshotting etc. Im still terrified we're going to get Cena/Orton main eventing Survivor Series in a unification match though.

• Paid Members
I loved Punk in that whole segment, even if the Family Guy vomiting joke was a bit overdone. He wasn't as likeable, but frankly, I don't care about that. I don't look to like CM Punk - I look to find him interesting. That entire segment came across as him goading and goading and goading.

It didn't come across like that to me, nor, by the looks on their faces, did it look as thought it came across that way to HHH and Nash. There were so many ways he could have conveyed those emotions without resorting to what he did, he's just capable of so much better. It was just really irritating and not at all funny.

As Ian pointed out, if Cena had done that he would have got shat on for it. And rightly so.

• Moderators
As Ian pointed out, if Cena had done that he would have got shat on for it. And rightly so.

Exactly, and that's what really annoys me at times. Favourites get a pass. WCW putting an addict Hall on TV was them being stupid pushing a dirty addict, WCW putting an addict Eddy on TV was WCW pushing a brave man trying to beat his demons. If a Nash doesn't draw it's because he isn't a draw, if a smaller man doesn't draw it's because they didn't get behind him. I'd rather consistency.

Anyway, as regards Super Nash being off the PPV:-

WWE officials made the decision some time in the past week or so that Kevin Nash won't be wrestling for them. It's likely Nash will stick around for the time being and participate in the occasional angle but unless something changes, he won't be having a match. This is why CM Punk vs. Kevin Nash at Night of Champions was changed to Punk vs. Triple H. WWE knew going into RAW last night that Nash wouldn't be wrestling.

Nash recently went to Pittsburgh to do physicals for the company and something happened there that made them decide that they don't want Nash in the ring taking bumps and doing something as physical as a whole match. There is still some chance that Nash could end up wrestling but something happened after the physicals that have put a roadblock in front of Nash's return match.

The decision to put Triple H in the match with Punk wasn't made until yesterday. The original plans had Punk going over Nash at Night of Champions.

From PWInsider

• Paid Members
It didn't come across like that to me, nor, by the looks on their faces, did it look as thought it came across that way to HHH and Nash. There were so many ways he could have conveyed those emotions without resorting to what he did, he's just capable of so much better. It was just really irritating and not at all funny.

Really? Were you watching the same show as me?

The looks on Nash and HHH's faces were frustration and annoyance. HHH - again - had to restrain himself from just laying Punk out.

They both look like they want to kill him, and they do it partially because he's a cocky, annoying little shit. And I don't see that as a bad thing - if I want to see them in a match, I want them ready to kill each other. And I believe (as a viewer) that Punk has got WAY under Nash's skin and knows it. And I believe that he's goading HHH just for the sake of it.

And what are 'those emotions' that he could have conveyed? I didn't mention any emotions.

• Paid Members
because he's a cocky, annoying little shit. And I don't see that as a bad thing

Its definitely a bad thing. Tweeners never do anything in the long run. If he comes across as unlikable, it leads to audience confusion. Its definitely confuses me. One minute he's "The Voice of the Voiceless" and trying to be the every man and all that and the next he's slagging off a man's wife. And not just any man. A man who people like and respect. People can relate to someone getting their wife slagged off. It if was some bloke from Atlanta with a Magnum TA shirt on watching Raw, he's going to want to see Triple H knock Punk out for slagging his wife. So I have no idea what he is at the minute. I knew what he was pre-MITB. He was a heel about to take off as a babyface. Now he's a babyface who isnt endearing in the slightest, and worse still is trying to match wits with an established star that the fans actually buy into.

• Paid Members
Exactly, and that's what really annoys me at times. Favourites get a pass. WCW putting an addict Hall on TV was them being stupid pushing a dirty addict, WCW putting an addict Eddy on TV was WCW pushing a brave man trying to beat his demons. If a Nash doesn't draw it's because he isn't a draw, if a smaller man doesn't draw it's because they didn't get behind him. I'd rather consistency.

The Cena thing is different though - he's been doing that for years. I mean, literally. For years. He's lost titles and responded with comedy immediately.

Punk's not been doing the comedy stuff that long. If he's still doing it in 2015, then I think he'd be treated similarly. I don't think many people say that Cena's bad at comedy - just that they're sick of it. Hell, do you remember how Rock got turned against back in 2002?

Meanwhile, the Hall/Eddy thing was totally different, and more based around the booking than the people. They weren't pushing Hall as trying to get past his vices. They were pushing his vices, and actually mocking him for them. Eddy got pushed as someone who had beaten his vices (unless I'm missing your specific reference).

• Paid Members
Really? Were you watching the same show as me?

The looks on Nash and HHH's faces were frustration and annoyance. HHH - again - had to restrain himself from just laying Punk out.

They both look like they want to kill him, and they do it partially because he's a cocky, annoying little shit. And I don't see that as a bad thing - if I want to see them in a match, I want them ready to kill each other. And I believe (as a viewer) that Punk has got WAY under Nash's skin and knows it. And I believe that he's goading HHH just for the sake of it.

And what are 'those emotions' that he could have conveyed? I didn't mention any emotions.

Emotions was the wrong word. What I meant was that he could have put across how he felt about what HHH and Nash were doing without resorting to some shitty comedy routine. He's shown recently what an absolute magician he can be on the mic - use fucking WORDS instead of stringing out a really painful routine that no-one in the crowd appeared to like, either.

Archived