Raw 23/08/11

d-d-d-dAz

The silly part is that unless either of you take the effort to go and ask everyone who attended WrestleMania 22 if they booed Rey Mysterio and if so, why, nobody will know. The fact that four or five people on this forum have said they felt uneasy about the Eddie thing suggests it could've been that compared to only Ian and maybe Cleetus thinking it's because Chicago is teh smartz and deemed ReyRey unworthy, but in truth, nobody knows and they in all likelihood never will.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Apart from you of course:

incidentally, was bollock all to do with his size and was to do with the whole Eddie-sploitation story

The very fact is, the WWE do blame it on the fact he looks like a small child in a plastic mask for the reason the title reign bombed and not only that but also the reason he was booed in arenas across the country long after 2006. All the writers that are no longer with the company have all said this in public forums since then. Its the reason he hasnt had a title REIGN since. He cant carry a title run. They'll give it to Miz, they'll give it to Kane, but they'll not let someone who sells them countless shit and puts on consistantly brilliant matches the belt for longer than a three week transitional reign.

I'm not going to quote and re-quote everything because this is becoming way too long winded.

You seem to think that the Chicago mania crowd were smart enough to decide that Rey wasn't 'worthy' of being Champion, but you don't seem to agree that the same crowd might also have disliked and seen through the tacky "I love you Eddie" storyline, to the point of resenting Rey's big push.

You keep repeating your reasons why Rey isn't a permanent main eventer (and I mostly agree), but that has little to do with that particular night. It was Rey's first ever run to the Title. He hadn't been put in that position before, so his pedigree as a top-liner was unknown. Fans were excited at first, but as they got nearer to Mania the "Eddie" pandering got a bit much and the fans on the night voiced their opinions.

Having Angle in the match certainly played a part. I'm not arguing that. The fact that they gave them 9 minutes and stuck it in the middle of the show should be an example of the fact that WWE realised the Eddie shtick hadn't really worked, so they got the match out of the way quick.

This whole disagreement stems from you using Rey at mania 22 as an example of a little guy failing, because of his size. I still don't agree that was the over-riding factor in that match.

• Paid Members

I agree its became long winded. All your fault obviously, nothing to do with me and I hope you take full responsability for your actions.

Anyway, the Raw rating is in. It drew a 3.0 rating. Rounded up from 2.9. Apparently the teen male demograph was especially low this week. According to "those in the know", with the NFL season just started they are expecting a bad period coming up as far as ratings go when the big games start. The shows have been far better than they have in anytime I can remember in recent history, but the ratings are dead at the minute. Pretty shit considering. Its a shame people arent watching during this period.

• Paid Members
But Chavo's a nobody. Rey Mysterio's a fan favourite, who everyone respected and liked. Fair play, his uncle died, but that wouldnt be enough for me to turn on my favourite and embrance someone I cared nothing about. If it was that simple, Bruce Hart would have been IC Champion the night after they scraped Owen Hart off the floor.

If Lanny Poffo and The Ultimate Warrior did Randy Savage cash in angles, you do you think the fans would have turned on? The character they invested into? Or Leapin' Lanny, last seen reading shit poetry with the Brothers Beverly.

Not getting too much into this one, but this point stood out a bit. Chavo and Eddie had been closely associated for years. They'd feuded and teamed in WCW, and Los Guerreros had been popular as hell in the early part of the decade.

Most people didn't know that Lanny was Randy's brother as it wasn't acknowledged on TV, and nobody would be able to pick Bruce Hart out of a lineup.

Eddie and Chavo had been shown as very close for a long time on the TV show. People believed the connection.

• Paid Members

I remember a lot of people on here being bothered about reys 'eddie tribute' story at the time, I also remember a number forums kicking off at the under 10 min match, people wanted a speshy event and didn't really get it.

If the thoughts on the net at the time exist in live crowds, then that's the answers I'll go with. Also, I've never read about rey being unworthy due to his size. There seems to be a link with net fans getting angry With whoever gets a push based on their merch sales to kids though, (maybe I'm the only one who notices this)

Wonder how long it takes before people get annoyed with Ryder.

That last point is by the by and is probs me being over observant and talking shit

Anyway, raw was really good, majority of points have been made, looking forward to the next episode, wow great month for wwe so far eh?

Can always rely on the internet for 4 pages of tedious argument.

You're not wrong!

In my defense though, I did try to "agree to disagree" at the top on the 2nd page, before the argument went off on another needless tangent.

--

RAW was a pretty great show, overall. The combination of Michael Cole talking about managers having "stables" and lawler going on about trying to save the "Tag Team Division" gives me a double-dose of nostalgia and hope for the future. Kingston and Bourne need proper team gear and a team name now, to gets things rolling in the right direction.

Nash still isn't being as great as i hoped he would be. Not that he is being 'crappy' or the segments are bad or anything, just that he's normally really, really good, and it feels like he's still getting used to the big audience/live TV combo again.

• Paid Members
Has the mystery GM quietly been dropped?

Don't think i can recall him/her chiming in since HHH has "been in charge".

I dont think its been dropped. But you're right that he/she hasn't chimed in since Triple H became the COO. The stand with the laptop is still there though, which is what leads me to believe it hasnt been totally dropped. I think they're trying to get people to kinda forget about it, and then one day Triple H is going to be making a big announcement and get cut off by the chime out of the blue. Might provoke a decent reaction too after a long spell without it. I reckon it will soon be revealed who it is too, my money being on someone like Steph, HBK, Vince or Triple H all along.

• Paid Members
In my defense though, I did try to "agree to disagree" at the top on the 2nd page, before the argument went off on another needless tangent.

If you "agreed to disagree" and were above it all, why did you continue with the discussion and give the whole "your arguing with me for the sake of it" thing, like you always do with King Pitcos when he disagrees with you. You can say "In my defense" all you want, but it was only two people were discussing it. I dont see how you work out that it was an argument anyway. I'm not thin skinned enough to think it was an argument. An arguments stuff like the Amy Winehouse thread. Not whether Rey Mysterio is to small to draw or not or whether a group of fans thought he shouldnt be beating Angle at WrestleMania 22. Why do you feel the need to defend yourself? Its only a discussion about wrestling. No big deal.

If you "agreed to disagree" and were above it all, why did you continue with the discussion and give the whole "your arguing with me for the sake of it" thing, like you always do with King Pitcos when he disagrees with you. You can say "In my defense" all you want, but it was only two people were discussing it. I dont see how you work out that it was an argument anyway. I'm not thin skinned enough to think it was an argument. An arguments stuff like the Amy Winehouse thread. Not whether Rey Mysterio is to small to draw or not or whether a group of fans thought he shouldnt be beating Angle at WrestleMania 22. Why do you feel the need to defend yourself? Its only a discussion about wrestling. No big deal.

It was a boring 4 page debate that I was 50% of, that's all.

I'm just saying I can appreciate why people found it dull. I found it dull, which is why I tried to end the discussion a bit earlier. At the same time, I thought (and still think) I am right, so I continued the debate.

My "arguing for the sake of it" line was towards Cleetus, who jumped into are debate half way through with a really bad example. Everyone else in the thread seemed to agree more with me.

I get frustrated by Pity from time to time due to the way in which he argues. I realized this in the RIOT thread when I tended to agree with his points, but found myself angered by his patronizing tone. Just one of those things.

Of course it's not a big deal, I wouldn't have just dropped the point happily otherwise when you brought up the RAW ratings news. I don't ever get angry on here, and when people throw out "ooh, don't cry about it" it's normally a case that they are losing the argument.

I use the term 'argument' as in 'arguing your case' not 'having a row', by the way.

Archived