Raw 23/08/11

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Del Rio is fucking awesome. I love that he's killing guys. I love that they are pushing a heel champion as a physical threat. He does all the little things right, his promos are simplistic but who cares? Leave it to Cena and Punk to talk big and be witty, Alberto just looks like he wants to maim and fuck them up. I love that no matter what, when he wins with the Cross Arm-breaker he never lets go once they tap and the ref has to force him off.

Alberto Del Rio is the WWE Champion and he loves hurting people, that makes him good in my book.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know its important to hook any fans they can, Ive never been a casual fan

Bollocks. You never went from "I've never watched wrestling" to "Mark Henry is getting too much of a push" without passing go. At some point, someone or something about wrestling hooked you and made you a fan.

so cant say but its unfair for a non or casual fan to moan about whoevers the champion if they dont know who or how he became champion.

What good does whinging that it's unfair do, though? The point is to grab fans, not moan that they're being unfair if you haven't grabbed them.

If it goes by a casual fans look Big Show, Khali or even Mason Ryan should be champion based on there size or muscles.

That's bollocks as well, at least in the case of Khali and Ryan. The champion is meant to attract new viewers with a first impression and retain them by being sustainably good. If all you've got going for you is you're a sideshow special attraction or a workrate-workhorse for the [redacted], you shouldn't be champion, at least not for any decent period of time.

Plus thanks to MMA, some fans might realise that the toughest guy isnt always the the biggest.

Maybe, but wrestling isn't MMA. Everyone knows it's fake. People watch wrestling for the camp fun and larger-than-life superstars. And a grubby little weedy-looking bloke in MMA will get people's attention by actually knocking fuck out of someone, not by name-dropping someone who drew up contracts for Royce Gracie once upon a time. I'm a big fan of Punk, but I've been watching wrestling for twenty years, reading PowerSlam for fifteen, and looking at wrestling gossip online for ten.

• Paid Members

The whole MMA thing is pretty ridiculous. They have weight catagories in MMA. A bloke of CM Punk's size isnt going to fight a bloke Kevin Nash's size is he? And if he is, MMA doesnt have rules which say the ref can fall over and the 7 foot bloke's best mate can run in with a sledgehammer if he's put in a key lock. Wrestling is a different beast as far as presentation in the ring. And boxing was around in the heyday of the mid-1980s. Sugar Ray and the Blue Blazer were around the same size. People werent saying "look at the tiny blokes in boxing, they prove a smaller guy can draw". This is a business where Rey Mysterio was booed because he beat Kurt Angle and Randy Orton clear at WM22.

Del Rio is fucking awesome. I love that he's killing guys. I love that they are pushing a heel champion as a physical threat. He does all the little things right, his promos are simplistic but who cares? Leave it to Cena and Punk to talk big and be witty, Alberto just looks like he wants to maim and fuck them up. I love that no matter what, when he wins with the Cross Arm-breaker he never lets go once they tap and the ref has to force him off.

Alberto Del Rio is the WWE Champion and he loves hurting people, that makes him good in my book.

Agreed, with the possible exception of Randy Orton before he brought in his group, most of the main event heels in the WWE over the last couple of years have all been your typical chicken shit. Unless they are big guys like Sheamus or Mark Henry, the average sized champion like Edge, The Miz, Jericho and even recently Christian have all been the type to get who ever is in charge to get them out of defending the title with something in their contract. Or cheating their way out of keeping the belt with the help of getting DQ'd or having someone with them screw the babyface. They never really look/ed like they had the physical edge over Cena, Undertaker, face Orton or whoever. Del Rio is actually looking like as you said, "a physical threat". It's a breath of fresh air from the usual format.

Really enjoyed Raw - think the strength of Raw is how storylines progress and make me want to see how it progresses next week. Where are they going with Punk/Nash/HHH? How will Vickie's stable develop, if it develops? Will Kingston and Bourne develop as a team?

If the WWE is serious about the tag team belts they've chosen wisely with Kingston and Bourne. They both are popular mid card babyfaces with similar styles. They even talked about Kingston considering a name for the team. They need to give them wins on Raw/Smackdown and, more importantly, pay-per-views. Having said all this, the WWE will have them lose to Miz and Truth at Night of Champions ...

I was impressed with John Morrisons's performance - feel everytime he puts in a good performance the WWE's attention always seems to be on other wrestlers (like The Miz or R-Truth or Del Rio).

Just a minor gripe with Raw - during the celebration with the champions (which was a great touch, made the title change seem important) Titus O'Neill and Derrick Bateman were in the group. Great! Except these two are fueding in NXT and Bateman (nonsensically, in my opinion) is a heel. Why's a heel celebrating with the faces? Consistency would be great!

This has probably been said but I admit I can't be arsed reading the whole thread. Anyone else think it was distastful doing a car accident angle right after Savage's death?

Random thought - anyone notice after the main event when Cena lay in the ring 1 of his legs was really scrawny compared to the other?

This has probably been said but I admit I can't be arsed reading the whole thread. Anyone else think it was distastful doing a car accident angle right after Savage's death?

It didn't even cross my mind and it has been quite a few months TBH I'd say if anything they did it more as a dig at Matt Hardy and I don't even think it was that.

Edited to add

Ok guess it was after all

Shit, Raw was great this week IMO

Glad to see them doing more with The Miz & R Truth after their tag a few weeks back, I thought they could be a good pairing and seemed to have some good presence together in their promo and tag match before they came out this week and started the wagon rolling

Arrrrrrgh so many interweaving storylines at once :D, Punk vs Nash, slowly simmering HHH vs Punk, HHH slowly turning on Nash, Rio vs Cena for a brief 4 week ppv run, Laurianitis presence slowly growing and becoming more apparent is his influence

9/10

. This is a business where Rey Mysterio was booed because he beat Kurt Angle and Randy Orton clear at WM22.

I feel you are somewhat twisted this fact towards your argument.

I don't think the Mania 22 fans boo'd Rey because he was small, they boo'd because his whole push at that time was about his dedicating it all to Eddie, and it all felt a bit like 'cashing in' on Eddie's death. There was resentment because the fans felt he was only winning the Title because Eddie had died.

• Paid Members

Part of it was that, but he wasnt getting booed on the road. He wasnt getting booed in the lead up to WrestleMania and that was when most of the tasteless shit was going down. Benoit also exploited Guerrero in a feud with JBL, but Benoit never got booed. Mysterio got booed on the night when he won the belt. Nobody took him seriously as champion. Not even the people who put the belt on him. It showed in how he was treated as champion.

Part of it was that, but he wasnt getting booed on the road. He wasnt getting booed in the lead up to WrestleMania. He got booed on the night when. Nobody took him seriously as champion. Not even the people who put the belt on him. It showed in how he was treated as champion.

I think you are clutching at straws trying to tie his size in to his reception at Mania 22 still. So, you think that the fans didn't boo him in the build-up (when he was being pushed as the top contender) but decided on the night he was actually too small, so they decided to shit on him? Seems a stretch to me.

The Wrestlemania audience is the most hardcore of their fans, they pay the most and travel the furthest. They are the most dedicated fans and so they tend to "know their stuff" a bit more than your average House Show crowd. There was definitely a bit of a backlash to Rey's 'tribute' push, and the hardcore 'Mania crowd picked up on it more than most. I don't think his size had much to do with that situation.

His treatment from the bookers after that though gave him no chance of getting over in the role.

• Paid Members
I think you are clutching at straws trying to tie his size in to his reception at Mania 22 still. So, you think that the fans didn't boo him in the build-up (when he was being pushed as the top contender) but decided on the night he was actually too small, so they decided to shit on him? Seems a stretch to me.

No its because the fans didnt want to see a midget beat Kurt Angle. Who was at a career height in popularity at the time. He was only EVER the champion because Guerrero died anyway. According to the writers at the time, Vince still wasnt convinced the very day. A lot of it was down to his size why he failed. There's only so much a little flyer can do against the heavyweights. If you put him against the Undertaker, you'd go home before the three count was made if Undertaker caught him with a punch. I'm not saying you have to be 6'8". But someone of Mysterio's size was always going to be a short term or a gimmick champion.

Archived