Raw 23/08/11

d-d-d-dAz

So yeah, this was a fun show I thought.

In particular, i'm enjoying the continuation of the Punk/Nash/HHH/Laurinitis/Stephanie arc and the fact that rather than have that exist completely independent of their WWE title feud they decided to intertwine the two. That was a clever move.

Couple of weird bits though;

Cena's 'i'm tired of making average look awesome...' was a bit weird, though I supposed it was an inferred catalyst for the later Miz/Truth segment. Which was funny.

Either way, Jerry Lawler deciding to completely bury Punk was very, very bloody odd. I mean, it's completely against the grain of what they've been trying to achieve. I mean, they've been pushing Punk to the moon, they've even got Cena saying Punk is the only man who can go with him, yet Jerry Lawlers busting out shit like 'I don't care about all his accolades...he's not that good! and 'Of course Del Rio wants to face Punk...he's easier to beat'. If those lines were fed to him then someone has lost their marbles, and if he went out on a limb then he deserves castrating because they were just catastrophically bad.

Funniest moment of the night was Punk's 'I'M FFFFLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG'

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big John's definitely playing a key role in this storyline and it appears to me as though Hunter's genuine when he says that he has no idea what's going on. If Hunter's going to do a surprise heel swerve later on then he's certainly playing his "caught in the middle" role well.

Miz cuts a wicked promo when he's in rage mode, the "let me say it slowly" part kinda killed the momentum he'd built up during the angry part but I'm interested in seeing where the Miz/Truth team goes from here.

I bet Otungacutty are shitting bricks after dropping the tag straps. I don't like duos who are blatantly thrown together because they have nothing else to do, but if the plan is the raise the profile of the tag titles then I guess Kofi and Bourne would be a good guy to hold them as Kofi always gets a good reaction from the crowd.

I've been trying to lay off Alboreto lately because I don't like him and there's no point in repeating it every week, but how has he managed to cut the exact same promo every week for this long? "Blah blah destiny blah blah [spanish] blah blah WWE... champion" *smirk*, that's Del Rio's entire routine in a nutshell. The guy has nothing to say, his facial expressions are limited to smug and angry, and worst of all his matches are so painfully boring, whoever thought that ADR was worthy of being the figurehead of the company needs to be shot into the sun. I think we can all agree that Khali was a shitty champion, but at least he could get by on the intimidation factor.

Lawler has pissed me off no end since Money in the Bank with his whole "Punk is brainwashing the people" bollocks and his constant referral to Cena as "John". The sooner a terrible accident befalls him to get him off television the better as his performance on Raw was simply attrocious

• Paid Members

He's only doing what he's told. All the announcers have that attitude. If WWE didnt want him to give off the "brainwashing" shite, he wouldnt do it. The only time Lawler sticks his neck out is when he wants to call Matt Striker a cunt. They tell him what direction to go in and he does it.

Another three segment show. But a brilliant three segments.

I enjoyed the opening with Del Rio, Cena, Punk and Triple H. I just wish they'd give Del Rio more credit and have the announcers and other top guys put him over more.

The Triple H, Nash and Punk segment was brilliantly planned out, especially the end with Punk's insult, Nash attacking and then Nash and Triple H arguing up the entrance way.

And what a main event! Much shorter than their PPV epics but just as bit as good as those matches. Punk's elbows and flying knee combo need to become part of Punk's regular repertoire.

I'm liking how Raw is structured around the opening, the middle and the ending segments. Now they just need to fix the bits in between. The segments that are revolving around the Punk/Triple H/Cena/Rock/Nash/Lauranitis storylines are perfect. Now they should use the other segments to bring Dolph, Miz, Kofi and Bourne to the level just below the main event. And it would be the perfect time to bring good pro wrestling matches to the forefront to give the show a better flow. Let Punk, Cena, Hunter etc do the talking and let the everyone else shine in the ring.

Another good show, but RAW is just on the cusp of becoming great. The Punk/Cena/Rio/HHH/Ace/Nash (and possibly Steph/Vince) deal is getting more intriguing by the week and may well be the catalyst for a new golden age of the WWE.

I'm optimistic about the future of the Tag division too, JR and King were going on about a revitalisation and how OtungaCutty were the drizzling shits. Kofi/Bourne got an extended victory celebration as well.

Punk/Cena seem incapable of having a bad, or even an average, match and Del Rio/Morrison wasn't too shabby either. The other matches were used to advance storylines instead of just being random inconsequential rematches, which is good to see.

Angry Miz is a monster on the mic and R-Truth is fried gold. Heel rap~!

"I'M FLYIIIIING!!!"

I loved that show top to bottom, the main event was amazing, Truth and Miz were hilarious (and the crowd's responses were on fire), the announcers were moaning about the shitty tag team division and not ignoring how crap those two NXT no bodies are, we also have new Tag Team Champions that the crowd are into (The longer post match celebration made it seem such a big deal, which is what I love), and I'm also loving this whole Nash/HHH/Stephanie/John L. conspiracy angle. Del Rio Vs Morrison was decent as well, so I'm pretty chuffed now.

I loved that show top to bottom, the main event was amazing, Truth and Miz were hilarious (and the crowd's responses were on fire), the announcers were moaning about the shitty tag team division and not ignoring how crap those two NXT no bodies are, we also have new Tag Team Champions that the crowd are into (The longer post match celebration made it seem such a big deal, which is what I love), and I'm also loving this whole Nash/HHH/Stephanie/John L. conspiracy angle. Del Rio Vs Morrison was decent as well, so I'm pretty chuffed now.

Could they be setting up Miz / Truth as a team to compete against Kingston / Bourne?

Anyway hopefully this is a positive sign of things to come. I've always felt that WWE ought to make more long term teams from semi established singles (as oppose to trying to create outright teams), as a feel it gives them more options with what they can do with people in the long run.

Hopefully this is the start of WWE using the tag belts as a legitimate tool to establish wrestlers.

Great show.

No love for Del Rio vs John Morrison? Fantastic match with some great near falls, hopefully people can finally realise JoMo is much better than "spot monkey" or "guy that does stunts".

I'm enjoying Del Rio way more, he's starting to look like he belongs and he been getting better heat especially in the last segment.

I still have no idea why John Cena thought he deserved a Title shot, didn't you lose at MITB and Summerslam? It ruined the angle a wee bit for me cause it was so heelish and out of character for him.He has no right to that title and in fitting with his character he should feel like he should earn it back again cause he's that goody two shoes twat. He's the most inconsistent character ever.

Kofi Kingston and Evan Bourne as Tag Team Champions is a great move, a fun high flying team which hopefully get on PPVs, and hopefully they add a few more teams and hey presto the Tag division we've always wanted. I was also really pleased for Bourne and the celebration in the ring and after made it look like a big deal for them so well done.

The Miz and R-Truth's promo was incredible "Don't start the what's!" it was all just brilliant, I hope Christian joins them (even though he's on SD) and it would be a really entertaining little group.

Swagger vs A-Ri was rather awful and probably the only blemish on the show, what on earth, is Dolph gonna turn face? Ugh it was all crap.

Oh and I love love love those promos they've started doing as people walk to the ring, first with John Morrison last week and with Beth and Natalya this week.

I like they mystery of the big Kev/Laurinitus/Steph/Hunter/Punk stuff, and i'm sure it might play out up until Night of Champions.

great show.

• Paid Members

I wish R-Truth was my mate and I got to rap with him. Life's not fair.

Same thoughts as last week really. Show flowed a bit better though. The CM Punk thing is still puzzling, braw!

Del Rio is class ("but you already know that"). He looks like Cristiano Ronaldo's cool/hard older brother, he walks/acts like he owns the place and he does that petulant kick thing when he's finished with the arm bar. WWE are finally giving him a proper feud for the first time in ages and I thought he didn't look out of place. I enjoyed it when this gentleman smacked Cena about for being a gobby shite, the punk deserved it.

On Cena, his line about Punk being the only person that can hang was an odd one (not that I think it was bad). It's pretty much what Triple H said to 'Taker but I noticed that nobody is destroying their keyboard over it. Even odder that Lawler then said Punk was crap.

I thought the commentary was FAR better this week. I think Vince and Dunn must have read the UKFF thread on the matter. Shame they don't take Ians advice and get Big Tone back.

I loved the Cena/t-shirt incident. Only because of Del Rio's reaction to it, he pissed himself laughing then started to egg the crowd to throw it back.

Cena/Punk must be the easiest match to work in wrestling. Both are so over right now, that the smallest thing has the crowd reacting. It was a fine match too. The ending was predictable but the right call.

Del Rio, Punk, Truth, Nash, Triple H, Cena & Tag teams. Heavenly.

Very good Raw this week. Great matches, great promo's, interesting developments.

The opening segment was good.

Nash attacking Punk was cool.

ag Title match was good fun, and Lawler said Bourne and Kingston were planning on a Tag Team name if they won, so I expect that to be announced next week, or maybe this week if they are on Smackdown.

Once again I am entertained by a Diva's match.

I would rather Vicki Guerrero have a stable than the obvious Ziggler V Swagger fued, with one of them turning face.

Miz and Truth segment was a little odd. Is this going to lead to them having a Tag Title run?

• Paid Members

Blinding Raw I thought. The opening segment, the Punk/Nash/HHH stuff and the main event were all kinds of ace. Great little match between Del Rio and Morrison and a top notch main event to boot.

Echo the positive comments on the R-Truth and Miz segment, the crowd was going absolutely mental for it even aside from the what chants. Truth stole most of it, but with Miz you really got a sense that he was getting a lot off of his chest. Winner in a Wrestlemania main event and then being reduced to picking fights with the Subway guy? No wonder he's fuming, at least from a character perspective. All kinds of win.

Think the crowd helped, but Raw had a brilliantly edgy feel to it tonight, totally gripping television I'm honest. I for one am loving Nash's involvement.

• Paid Members
On Cena, his line about Punk being the only person that can hang was an odd one (not that I think it was bad). It's pretty much what Triple H said to 'Taker but I noticed that nobody is destroying their keyboard over it.

My thoughts exactly. Where are all those people now saying the rest of the locker room was buried? Randy Orton has clean wins over both John Cena and CM Punk too, so he can obviously go toe-to-toe with Cena too.

Archived