Raw 23/08/11

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

X-Pac, Kevin Nash and Shawn Michaels were together and Nash tore his quad the week before Triple H turned and did his big heel run. The Kliq were more or less already a group onscreen (Michaels referenced the group and they all had a group hug at the KOTR 2002). It looked like that's where the angle was going.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
X-Pac, Kevin Nash and Shawn Michaels were together and Nash tore his quad the week before Triple H turned and did his big heel run. The Kliq were more or less already a group onscreen (Michaels referenced the group and they all had a group hug at the KOTR 2002). It looked like that's where the angle was going.

It might have been an insider nod to the smarks though as well.

Either way it could have been interesting, Shame Nash fucked himself walking. Really threw the shit against the fan sadly.

• Paid Members

I always thought that was too obvious and they were going to swerve us

It seems people are insinuating that Punk is neither highly thought of, nor is he going to be around at the climax of this feud.

I haven't seen anything thus far to suggest anything other than the opposite, which is that he is quite highly thought of (at least by those who matter) and is going to finish this story with a feud against Triple H. It still doesn't seem likely that the net result of this is going to be Nash/Punk. They've invested way too much effort in this for Punk just to diddle off into the background whilst HHH/Nash have a feud no one particularly cares about, or is of neither short or long term benefit.

• Paid Members
It still doesn't seem likely that the net result of this is going to be Nash/Punk.

You dont invest someone costing you the WWE title, costing you a title shot and to weeks of promos if you arent leading to a match. Triple H is in the distant future. Right now, Nash is who Punk is feuding with. Like how McMahon was hinting at a feud with Austin while he was leading into a match with Shawn Michaels. Its obvious that Punk and Nash are going to wrestle. They've used up lots of TV time on it. You dont do that if it isnt leading to a match. Punk no longer has the WWE title, because of Nash. He has a massive headache because of a Nash elbow to the temple. He had a chance to get a title shot, but didnt because of you know who. You dont ignore that. If Punk moved on, after Nash has just out maneuvered him several times, it doesnt make you much of a babyface. Its something AJ Styles would do (and has).

Also, Triple H will probably go heel (even though he's pretty much justified in slapping Punk about for things stuff he's said about his wife) and we'll get Punk vs Triple H later on down the road. Unless they get sick of the angle and put all their interest in Rocky in November.

• Paid Members
It seems people are insinuating that Punk is neither highly thought of, nor is he going to be around at the climax of this feud.

I haven't seen anything thus far to suggest anything other than the opposite, which is that he is quite highly thought of (at least by those who matter) and is going to finish this story with a feud against Triple H. It still doesn't seem likely that the net result of this is going to be Nash/Punk. They've invested way too much effort in this for Punk just to diddle off into the background whilst HHH/Nash have a feud no one particularly cares about, or is of neither short or long term benefit.

I agree. If anything Punk is the type that Vince loves. He's eaten a lot of crap in his WWE career but has risen above it to where he is now. People say Vince wants people who scratch and claw for everything. He's won every major honour, except the Royal Rumble. He's clearly well thought of by the boss.

Also, while Punk isn't bumping the ratings or selling out venues, he is shifting a shit load of merchandise. I remember JR tweeted that his current t-shirt is the hottest selling t-shirt WWE have had in a while.

A 'World' champion is a better name than 'heavyweight' cos Flair, HBK, Hart etc were'nt heavyweights but are as respected as anyone theres been, the top champion should be someone that the fans want to pay to Cheer/Boo regartless of there size.

Who's the smallest WWF/WWE champion that's drawn good money? Probably Cena, at least in the last twenty years. Flair didn't even draw good houses there opposite Hogan. The Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels era nearly put McMahon out of business. Jericho always did shit ratings as champion compared to his contemporaries. It's not a good thing when first-time viewers see him and go "he's the world champion?" And most of the people you'll win over by referencing Jack Tunney and old WCW gossip are the sort of people who aren't watching anymore because they had a tantrum over the SummerSlam ending.

• Paid Members

I thought the King had went mental there for a second and I did a quick wikipedia search and Cena's billed height is 6'1" which probably means he's less. Thats smaller than Austin! For some reason I thought Cena was about 6'3" or 6'4". I thought he was much bigger than that. Vince must be right. Perception is reality.

Ian, your suggestion is exactly what I've been saying since SS; Nash/Punk will feud, but it'll be a vehicle to further the overall arc, and facilitate a HHH turn and match with Punk. I was refuting the fact that Nash would send Punk 'back to Smackdown' or that this would all lead to Nash/HHH.

Punk is still very much an integral figure in this whole dealio...

I know its important to hook any fans they can, Ive never been a casual fan so cant say but its unfair for a non or casual fan to moan about whoevers the champion if they dont know who or how he became champion.

If it goes by a casual fans look Big Show, Khali or even Mason Ryan should be champion based on there size or muscles.

Plus thanks to MMA, some fans might realise that the toughest guy isnt always the the biggest.

I'm loving the TV at the moment.

Cena getting the first crack at Del Rio suits me because chances are really slim that the title will change hands at NOC. To me it's natural to have Punk V Nash at the ppv. Punk should chase the belt all the way to mania IMO. Unless it's being kept for Cena v Rock - which isnt really needed.

Also Nash in cahoots with Johnny Ace is perfectly logical due to them having a meeting in week one and then the whole "accident" thing as well.

It's fucking compelling TV...for a change.

Glad to come on here and see a mostly positive reaction to the show. I thought the majority was really good, and everything seems to be building up pretty well.

Del Rio was the most interesting I've seen him in quite some time. If he carries on with that intensity, I don't care how repetitive he is on the mic. Not every single guy has to be Punk.

Im also happy that Punk put over MITB case for a change instead of wrestlers and announcers saying the winner is a fluke etc which kinda lessens the importance of the PPV and winning it, as Punk said the winner puts his body on the line to earn it so they can cash in how they want.

Del Rio looked great during the beat down at the end, he could do with another finisher maybe the backstabber which been using recently just to give his something different to finish guys with.

I hope they keep the belt on him til Mania, Punk can stay busy with Nash, XPac?, HHH til winning the Rumble then winning the belt at Mania, thats got a classic build up feeling to it.

Archived