Anime

lightningxlock

• 1 month later...

I've gone back a few decades and started watching the original 70's Mobile Suit Gundam, it's surprisingly deep for a kid's show and isn't afraid to show the horrors of war and things like PTSD and combat stress.

It's actually got me looking at buying model kits of the original Gumdams, I really want an OG looking Char's Zaku.

On 11/6/2023 at 2:17 PM, LSM said:

This weekend saw the end of the 10 year run for Attack on Titan. 

It's the only anime that I've watched from start to finish and felt really invested in the show. Such a cracking finale as well. Anyone else here watch it?

Watched the finale the other day, was a decent ending and without spoiling I'd say it was a pretty true description of what people would end up doing after all of that. I enjoyed the show a lot at the beginning but the longer gaps between episodes and the last few seasons felt a bit harder to follow. Once the whole this is dubbed into English I'll give it another watch through. 

• 4 weeks later...

I moved on to the mid 80's sequel Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam and it's an improvement, they know their audience better this time around and how it's an older set of nerds who love political intrigue as much as cool mechs. But even saying that the mechs and fights are on a bigger scale, too, with slicker battle scenes that still feel weighty with a sense of realism.

But I'm not looking forward to the third series, I hear it's takes a huge 180 and is played for laughs compared to how gritty this one is.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I don't know whether it belongs in this thread, but I finally finished the Scott Pilgrim Takes Off anime on Netflix this morning. I like how it goes in a completely different direction to the movie, which is also wildly different from the comic, but with plenty of references to them both. It's great in that it explores the characters a lot deeper, and the cast from the movie is in it as well. It also gets delightfully meta and self-referential  a little nod to Edgar Wright and his little cinematic universe, and heaps of videogame and anime easter eggs. Anyway, if you like the books and/or the movie it's definitely worth a watch. Anamanaguchi's soundtrack is good as well.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

On 11/6/2023 at 7:17 AM, LSM said:

This weekend saw the end of the 10 year run for Attack on Titan. 

It's the only anime that I've watched from start to finish and felt really invested in the show. Such a cracking finale as well. Anyone else here watch it?

Been meaning to, but I can't afford CrunchyRoll and all my emails have been used to get free trials. They're on to me, lads! 😬

I've recently started re-watching Girls Und Panzer, a show that deserves way more love, in order to be caught up in order to watch the movies.

22 minutes ago, CharlesTuckerTheThird said:

Girls Und Panzer

I remember that coming out and while it looked like some daft fun it had the worst fanbase known to man it seemed, not saying you're one of them but there were big weirdos online around then.. Anime girls and German tanks made it a 4chan fav.

I started the classic Revolutionary Girl Utena recently, always heard that it was extremely forward thinking and deep in an Evangelion manner but didn't expect it to be so avant-garde in it's presentation, too. One of the most gorgeous looking shows I've seen.

Edited by Merzbow

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

So me and the missus began watching Komi Can’t Communicate last night and we were in floods of tears after the first episode.

It’s about a girl who begins high school but has extreme social anxiety, it’s on Netflix.

The scene in question that had us in tears.

My eldest has some of these books, and absolutely adores them.

Will try and watch that with her, thanks for the heads up.