Raw Discussion Thread 11/7/11

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched Raw, i think the last segment was excellent, Punk can really talk - Heyman esque. Looking forward to seeing where the storyline goes. I would bet my house on CM Punk not leaving the WWE. I know some people are saying maybe Punk being the new corporate champ, but i don't see this. How could he be anymore corporate than Cena? When Rock turned corporate champ Austin was an anti hero and that's why that suited that storyline. I would hope Punk would continue in the role he is currently playing. As he said with reference to the ice cream bars, there's a load of wedge there with the CM Punk likeness on them.

• Paid Members

Looking at it from a different point of view, isnt it best if CM Punk leaves now? He's at his hottest. He's built a superstar aura which will only grow when if he leaves until about January time, for the WrestleMania run in, his stock would be far bigger than it even currently is. The show would miss him if he left, but in the long run his star would be massive when he returns. Piper mastered the art in the 80s and 90s of leaving them wanting more and return later. Hogan continued the trend in the 2000s, which gave his drawing power a bit of an Indian Summer. If he leaves people will miss him. That isnt a bad thing.

Looking at it from a different point of view, isnt it best if CM Punk leaves now? He's at his hottest. He's built a superstar aura which will only grow when if he leaves until about January time, for the WrestleMania run in, his stock would be far bigger than it even currently is. The show would miss him if he left, but in the long run his star would be massive when he returns. Piper mastered the art in the 80s and 90s of leaving them wanting more and return later. Hogan continued the trend in the 2000s, which gave his drawing power a bit of an Indian Summer. If he leaves people will miss him. That isnt a bad thing.

You mean leave legit or stay at home under contract? I can't see WWE not using him while he's white hot.

Or, you know, Punk doesn't draw. I'm not saying it is that personally, but its funny how when wrestling fans don't like an act at top they'll point to the ratings as proof they don't draw but if its someone like Punk there's suddenly 'competition'.

I feel like now is the best chance to strike if they want to push Punk to Cena\Orton levels. The momentum is with him and I think he is good enough to keep things hot till Summerslam if the booking is kept on the right path. A break might kill it.

Things have changed alot since Piper's run.

• Paid Members
Things have changed alot since Piper's run.

Yeah back then, if you could maintain your drawing power. In 2011, things dont mean much anyway. Ratings haven't improved since Punk started doing his inside reference gimmick, and PPV's like MITB never do well. Its not the worst thing in the world, to come back when business is strong, to reap the rewards of a better period for WWE business wise.

Or, you know, Punk doesn't draw. I'm not saying it is that personally, but its funny how when wrestling fans don't like an act at top they'll point to the ratings as proof they don't draw but if its someone like Punk there's suddenly 'competition'.

I wouldn't really say anyone draws anymore, maybe except for the top top guys like Cena and Orton. I really find it hard to believe that so many people, especially after the praise he's getting for it, would stop watching because of one wrestler.

Yeah back then, if you could maintain your drawing power. In 2011, things dont mean much anyway. Ratings haven't improved since Punk started doing his inside reference gimmick, and PPV's like MITB never do well. Its not the worst thing in the world, to come back when business is strong, to reap the rewards of a better period for WWE business wise.

Everything is going to get buried by Cena\Rock in the run up to Mania.

At the moment he is the main angle in the WWE. This is their chance I feel. They could run this storyline involving Cena\Vince\Punk all the way to Summerslam if booked right and make a huge star out of CM Punk.

Punk leaving now and coming back around the same time as the Rock would be ? I don't think that would work out to well for him.

• Paid Members

The most interesting thing to happen would be Punk winning, but I see Vince going down a pretty safe route, and have Cena beat Punk clean.

The way they have been talking about the M.I.T.B winner being guaranteed a win means suggests somebody is going to cash it in and lose for the first time, and probably pretty soon. I forget who is even in the matches, but It wouldn't be too good to be the guy who wins M.I.T.B, possibly cashes it in on the night, and then loses. That's pretty much a career killer right there.

• Paid Members
At the moment he is the main angle in the WWE. This is their chance I feel. They could run this storyline involving Cena\Vince\Punk all the way to Summerslam if booked right and make a huge star out of CM Punk.

We thought that in 2009 when Randy Orton did that hot angle where he booted Vince in the head. And the Nexus angle last SummerSlam, where we all thought the idea of Nexus losing the SummerSlam main event was ridiculous (and they ended up losing :(). Call me a miserable twat, but I dont have much faith. Really looking forward to seeing what they do on Sunday dont get me wrong, but its a worry to see what the final outcome of this will be.

Archived