Raw Discussion Thread 11/7/11

IANdrewDiceClay

Punk was great again, as was Vince and Cena didnt ruin it at all, added yet another layer to a compelling story, excellent stuff. Did anyone else think Drew McIntyre wasnt supposed to fall off the stage? As they showed Big Show you could see a ref in the background near Drew giving the 'X' but whether that was to add effect I dont know.

Also, The Rock to cost Punk the match? a. to keep the title on Cena for WM and b. to saaaaave the WWE?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've just watched the two segments from Monday and am I the only one who immediately thought of a Corporate-Rock style heel (re-heel?) turn for Punk at the PPV? Vince helps Punk to win the belt and reveals he re-signed Punk during the week on the guarantee he would be champion. Punk comes out all suited up the next night as the ultimate hypocrite and the same fans who just found their "voice" are outraged that their saviour has been corrupted and Cena's been screwed so there's your rematch for next month.

*EDIT*

That is of course if Punk isn't actually leaving. These Punk segments and the Rock's initial return are the only segments I've watched this year so I've not been following things too closely.

Yeah I very briefly mentioned before that it'd be quite cool if something like that happened, but I thought more towards Punk being in control and being the one who manipulated Vince. Vince knows now that Punk is a hot commodity and for WWE to lose him it would be bad. Write that into the storyline saying Vince turned on Cena, helping Punk to win as without Punk WWE would die and shrivel up with Cena as the face of it, so why not kill two birds with one stone, fire Cena and write up a brand new contract for the man who has being saying he is the greatest wrestler in the world and who Vince and the fans now know is the greatest wrestler in the world and have him as the WWE Champion too. Perhaps have someone bring Cena back in after a few weeks, maybe Stephanie, then later in the year Triple H can get involved with the whole doofus son in law comment after Cena and Punk's feud comes to a close.

The only thing I'm not sure about with Punk becoming Corporate Champion is that he will be controlled by Vince, what he wants and what has made him so great at the moment is how his character has become a bit of a loose cannon who speaks his mind, this type of person is more likely to manipulate others and would be more entertaining manipulating his boss rather than being controlled by his boss. Saying that though I wouldn't mind if that did happen, it'd be very reminiscant of Survivor Series 1998 which I enjoyed.

• Awards Moderator

Just watched the segments, really enjoyed them and MITB should be electric. I might even get a chance to watch it live as I'll be in a hotel room that may/may not have Sky Sports on Sunday night...

If they keep up the momentum (and I truly hope they do) I could actually see them going the way of Punk vs. McMahon at some point... it'd be a really interesting twist on the usual McMahon match, because he certainly seemed like the underdog of the situation on RAW...

It felt to me like one of those angles where, in a few years' time, people will point to it as the catalyst for a boom period in wrestling. We can but hope. Bring on the PPV! (And when was the last time you felt like that about a PPV that wasn't WrestleMania?)

It felt to me like one of those angles where, in a few years' time, people will point to it as the catalyst for a boom period in wrestling. We can but hope. Bring on the PPV! (And when was the last time you felt like that about a PPV that wasn't WrestleMania?)

I'm looking more forward to this PPV than any in years, Wrestlemania's included!

Hell, i can't think of the last time that either a WWE or TNA PPV had four matches that I as really looking forward to. Two, maybe three, tops, is the usual for me. Both MITB matches should be a lot of fun, the Christian/Orton match will be great (even if the finish is likely to annoy me) and one way or the other the Cena/Punk match is a total must-see situation.

How refreshing is it to look forward to a PPV and genuinely not know exactly how things are going to play out!

In other news, I thought Mark Henry died

Is that sarcasm? It was comical how he dived off the stage.

I'm gutted I'm going to miss Money In The Bank because I'll be at Latitude festival. Really underwhelming headliners and forecast to rain there too...why am I even going? Like someone else said, watching this you feel like this could be a moment that's played over to point out the catalyst for a boom period. I don't want to think too much into the match though. Some of the finish suggestions that have been pointed out here have seemed pretty deflating. Vince coming down and getting the interference sounds plausible like The Miz (the UKFF user that is) said and The Rock coming down to 'save' WWE also sounds logically quite sound. The only thing is that it might inadvertently turn The Rock heel as he'd be doing it in front of a hot, pro-Punk crowd and I don't think they're going to go down that road if Wrestlemania's in Miami.

I agree Punk was great with that promo possibly one of the best promos I've ever seen.

On a side note I'm kinda shocked they admitted Cena is married given his fan base is largely built up around women who fancy him.

Most of the girls in Cena's fan base would be too young to marry him, even in Louisana :)

• Paid Members
Punk was great again, as was Vince and Cena didnt ruin it at all, added yet another layer to a compelling story, excellent stuff. Did anyone else think Drew McIntyre wasnt supposed to fall off the stage? As they showed Big Show you could see a ref in the background near Drew giving the 'X' but whether that was to add effect I dont know.

Also, The Rock to cost Punk the match? a. to keep the title on Cena for WM and b. to saaaaave the WWE?

The Rocks busy filming a major budget sequel to GI Joe. I doubt the insurance company will let him touch a wrestling ring during filming.

I thought that Punk would win the title Vince has one of the MITB winners come in probably be The Miz or Alberto Del Rio & they win the title, so Cena is fired then The Rock makes a suprise appearance on Raw demanding Vince reinstate Cena so they can have their match at Wrestlemania, thats how I see it happening.

CM Punk is on fire at the moment but then again I've said that since his commentary stint. His opening promo and contract negoations had that old electric feel from the crowd as if something big happening or about to.

I also though McIntyre wasnt meant to fly off the stage like that. Didnt look right.

That was tremendous.

You have to hope that this won't fall off the rails like The Nexus storyline did.

I really hope Punk does win the title and return to ROH. It would be huge and its the only way they can follow up the awesomeness of Vince getting punked by Punk and that segment in general.

Not saying I'll be disappointed if it doesn't happen but I think a double turn or Punk teaming up with Vince is the way forward from this, the double turn would be quite easy to do given where the PPV is and Punk teaming with Vince would make sense and also open up a load of scenarios for the future

Also, have to agree with what Ian said about being good on the mic not being enough. Punk's mannerisms and the way he carries himself generally is what is giving him that star aura, on top of the good promo's and good matches, one of the problems I had with Jericho (who I'm a fan of) during his "Honest Man" phase was that a lot of the promo's, though the content was good, felt forced and looked like he was playing a character, whereas Punk seems completely natural

Archived