Raw Discussion Thread 11/7/11

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I cant stress enough, what I mentioned in my original post. Plenty of people are good promos, so its not so much the promos I care about. Its the way CM Punk handles himself and carrys himself through the angles and the promos. Shawn and Bret were never world class on the microphone back in the mid-90s. They were good, but never world class. But the way they carried themselves made turned them into what they were in the peoples eyes. They both knew how good they were, they both thought they were better than everyone else in the locker room and they both felt they deserved more than what they were getting (hense the problems and headaches they caused their gaffers). Its the same with Punk. Punk is excellent on he micrphone, but it would all mean nothing if he didn't walk about, smiling, doing silly manarisms and looking as confident as he does. He make the audience take notice and you believe he is the best in the world, by the way he looks like he believes it. Watching it live was something special I think. I thought the promo a few weeks ago was contrived and a ploy to work the internet and didnt think the follow up would be up to much. Last night was a sense of unpredictability. Unusually there is such a scripted tone to wrestling promos, where "he talks/then he talks/then the crowd cheers/then he talks" etc. But they were talking over each other, they were using facial expressions, Punk was bringing the crowd into it, as opposed to cheap popping the audience and waiting for the cheers to stop, as they usually do. Both X-Pac and Jim Ross (two veterans, who have seen it all and could be forgiven for being jaded and not buying it) said it was the best thing they've seen in years. We've seen a million great promos on Raw over the years. We havent seen much superstar aura, though. Which is what we saw last night. Great night for wrestling, in my opinion.

But we dont need Colt Cabana, unless its in a Punk's Beefcake type of role. We do want these though:

punkbar.jpg

Brilliant work again from Punk. Proof positive as well that Vince really does have his finger on the pulse. You know he will have been heavily involved in the scripting of those promos, and he obviously still has a brilliant awareness of what all fans think of him - from the internet dweebs to the Cena shirt wearers. Punk's words have ticked virtually all of the internet clich

Don't think iv ever been this excited about a b ppv in years. If this was ppv I'd buy it. Vince taking all of punks insults really sold it, as when Austin did it he got angry and answered bsck, that he took it all in first showed that punk is important. If I win euro millions tonight, I'm taking the ukff to mitb lol

re: Drew McIntyre, from pwinsider.com

Beyond CM Punk, by far the number one thing readers asked about following Raw was the condition of Drew McIntyre, who took a scary spill off the WWE stage when Mark Henry tackled The Big Show.

As we discussed on last night's Raw post-game show in the Elite section, McIntyre was shook up but was OK afterward. He did not need to go to a hospital for medical attention after being checked and cleared by WWE trainers and EMTS at the venue.

I am told his bump was unplanned as he was supposed to end up on the stage, not falling off.

• Paid Members

Green_Lantern_Sinestro_Corps_Special_800x600_1357.jpg That dastardly CM Punk.

All three were fucking brilliant. Cena turning up the boston accent was pretty good too, although his "ripping off Mcmahons face" line went a little bit too far. But at worst it was a very minor distraction from all three men being great. I love the line Cena is treading. He's still a face, but he's playin the antagonist role magnificently. Absolutely fantastic. Punk is Orton when he punted Vince in the head hot, except this time they seem to realise he's the ultimate face vehicle and still is. Excellent, excellent stuff.

Whilst i'd be absolutely flabbergasted if he is leaving, imagine what a let down it'll be if they go down the route of a Cena clean win and a humiliating exit.

The more I think about it, the more I can see CM Punk leaving the arena shocked he didn't get the job done, only for Vince to come out and be all; 'as we all know your contract expires at midnight tonight, well it's 10.15 and...YOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUU'RRRRRRRREEEEEE FIIIIIIIIIIIIIRED.'

That'd be beyond shit.

I'm 30, lived through cartoon/new generation/attitude and now PG era. As a man of my years, this is the best it has been since the attitude days (if not better, some of the smut was unnecessary back then but had a place with what was then the MTV/Jackass/Bevis and Butthead etc. trend).

Punk really spoke to me and for me is the next legit 'superstar'. He doesn't have the Hogan/Austin/Rock look but I believe that's what we need, someone we all can relate to this day in age. To me the massive muscular look is very 80's/90's. Look at fashion these days, heavily tattooed skinny guys in skinny jeans with attitude problems are allover the fucking shop (as much as I hate it!)

I admire the fact that WWE have seemingly given up on trying to re-hash The Rock and Austin (see Miz and Orton) and instead given us something unique. I applaud them for going against the same old tired formula to gain interest of the old crowd. I like how they are recognising the needs of the internet fan. More-so that this seems almost directly aimed at the smarter fan.

I really hope he isn't leaving. And I really hope they don't fuck it up! Recognising that they copped out of the firing storyline last time can only be a positive :thumbsup:

If I was having a go at booking this in the worst possible way. I am thinking...

Ref bump leads to New Nexus run in. Cena gets beaten up and then power-bombed on the concrete by Mason Ryan and thrown back in. Kicks out of a GTS, then immediately hits the AA then stfu for the win on Punk. He then fights off the whole of Nexus by himself. Punk disappears of into retirement.

ADR then comes out and cashes in the MITB he had won earlier. Only to be beaten clean by Cena in 3 mins.

I admit the crowd reaction to that could be rather entertaining though.

There is a ton of different ways this could go on Sunday, most of them being really good. First time in a while I am praying they don't fuck this one up.

As Del Rio did win the number one contenders match he could use that to get a title match at MITB and win the title but also win the MITB match then you would have the WWE Champion who also holds the MITB briefcase then they could play up the fact if he lost a title match he could immediately cash in and get the title back.

As Del Rio did win the number one contenders match he could use that to get a title match at MITB and win the title but also win the MITB match then you would have the WWE Champion who also holds the MITB briefcase then they could play up the fact if he lost a title match he could immediately cash in and get the title back.

This I like alot.

it is very rare to read 4 pages on UKFF with a unanimous opinion. Punk was that good and really does talk people into the building. I dont bother with PPVs nowadays except for Rumble and Mania yet I would definitely pay

I have loved Punk since the day he stepped into WWE and even a little before then. Being straight edge and always getting in trouble at work for standing up for myself, this storyline touches home more than most. Only my contract isnt finishing soon so i cant physically push the boss unfortunately. I am excited for the fact that punk is making straight edge cool.

On another note whatever happens from here has to be great. If he goes ROH, Impact or NJPW then we are in for some 5 star classics. If he remains with WWE then we are in for some epic storylines. We have the Vince feud, an already set up Triple H feud (doofus son in law), a Stone cold steve austin feud, and even a feud with The Rock. Punk in the space of 2 weeks has laid the ground work for 2 years worth of storylines and feuds for himself if need be. Something creative could never ever do.

Archived