UFC 133: Evans vs Ortiz 2 Discussion thread

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Surprised Hamill was ready to go so soon, he took a fair amount of hard shots from Rampage. I like this fight though, shame about Vlad :(

Fuck, even if they had asked Vlad to fight Rashad that would be off now aswell with Vladdy getting injured. Thank fuck Tito beat Bader quickly without getting banged up or they'd have pretty much no choice but to scrap the main event altogther for this one.

Tito winning was not only a cool moment but little did we know at the time it was gonna save 133 aswell.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Fucks sake now Little Nog is out. This is getting fucking ridiculous now :( They're looking for a replacement to fight Rich Franklin.

I'd love to see Machida vs Franklin 2 but if Machida wouldn't take a main event spot on short notice then I doubt he'd be up for a co-main event either.

Who else is there? Kingsbury. Maybe Bader?

Fucks sake now Little Nog is out. This is getting fucking ridiculous now :( They're looking for a replacement to fight Rich Franklin.

I'd love to see Machida vs Franklin 2 but if Machida wouldn't take a main event spot on short notice then I doubt he'd be up for a co-main event either.

Who else is there? Kingsbury. Maybe Bader?

Sozsynski? One of my favourite light-heavyweights, always comes to throw down. Or they could bring in Brandon Vera assuming he's not stuffing his face with ice cream. Not too bothered about this news honestly, not a big fan of Lil Nog, he's looked very average to me in his UFC run.

• Paid Members

Vera's fighting Eliot Marshall in October.

Maybe they could pull him out of that and convince him to take this fight? Franklin vs Vera is a decent fight. Soszynski would be good too.

On your second point, yeah Nog hasn't looked great but I think we've missed out on what would have been a cracking fight here.

Aside from Luiz Cane (who he obliterated in 30 seconds) he's been facing grapplers who all had the same game plan, take him down and stifle his BJJ. Good gameplan to win but not the most exciting viewing.

And he hasn't been outclassed in any of his UFC fights. Bader and Davis were very close fights and he showed good takedown defence and boxing in both fights. The Brilz fight was a last minute change of opponent, I watched it again recently and I thought Brilz slightly edged it but it was nowhere near the robbery it's made out as. You could easily give Nog rounds 1 and 3 in that fight. Round 3 really could've gone either way.

So yeah not his best career performances but Little Nog's got some good fights left I think. Which is why I was looking forward to this fight with Franklin because Franklin wouldn't be looking to grind out a decision. Their styles would have made for an exciting fight.

• Paid Members

this has to be the worst run of luck the UFC has ever had in terms of injuries. I bet they wished they'd never brought Hamill in now, the easy thing to do would have been to move Gustaffson up to fight Franklin and just scrap a fight.

Sozsynski? One of my favourite light-heavyweights, always comes to throw down. Or they could bring in Brandon Vera assuming he's not stuffing his face with ice cream. Not too bothered about this news honestly, not a big fan of Lil Nog, he's looked very average to me in his UFC run.

Pretty sure I heard Soszynski had knee surgery this past week.

Meltzer is reporting in his daily update that King Mo is lobbying for the fight with Rich Franklin.

Please let this happen

Another replacement that would be better than the original. I heard Franklin was a slight underdog against Little Nog in the betting stakes, that has to be if true one of the stupidest lines put out in a while in my opinion, I think Franklin would have won handily.

EDIT: According to MMA Junkie, Franklin has been scratched form the card all togeather.

• Paid Members

Nah I think Nog would've done fine for the reasons I've already gave a few times in this thread :) Franklin does't handle southpaws well imo, it seems to throw him off and Nog could've really let loose with his hands for a change cos he wouldn't have to worry about the takedown with Franklin.

King Mo would be great. Him or Machida would be my choice but Machida's not gonna happen.

• Paid Members
EDIT: According to MMA Junkie, Franklin has been scratched form the card all togeather.

I guess they'll just go with Belfort vs Akiyama as co-main. Maybe bump Mendes/Yahya to the main card and move Eberole/Hallman or Brown/Phan to Spike.

edit- they'be moved Ebersole vs Hallman to the main card

I'm still happy with the card overall, there's still lots that i'm looking forward to.

And yes Nog was the slight betting favourite for that fight with Franklin, I was going to back Franklin but I wasn't surprised to see him as the underdog in the fight.

Gutted King Mo wasn't given a fight against Evans or Franklin, it would've been great to see either of them happen.

• Paid Members

Yeah Ebersole/Hallman's deffo deserving of main card status. Both guys are coming off impressive wins and both are very underrated so it will be a good chance for them to shine.

Man this has gotta be the most cursed UFC card in history. Only one I can remember rivalling this was UFC 85 (which I attended). Aptly titled 'Bedlam'. I was fucking gutted when Shogun/Chuck got cancelled.

Fuck, the amount of times i've had to edit that first post, this card has changed more times than Heath Herring's hair style.

Archived