UFC 133: Evans vs Ortiz 2 Discussion thread

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Wonder where this leaves Machida?

Fannying about the way he has won't do him any favours with the management. Guess he could rematch Franklin if Franklin beats Little Nog?

I'd like to see Machida vs the winner of Shogun/Griffin actually. Either Machida vs Forrest or a rubber match with Shogun would put him in title contention with a win.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Changed again? This'll be a good rematch though, the fight they had before werent too bad, but Evans was twicthing like he was having a fit. Evans striking has vastly improved from his TUF days. And Tito's striking has been great forever. Cant wait for this, whoever Evans would've faced, the choices are great. I love watching Rich Franklin. His striking always impresses me, and all round a great fighter. I dont get why Rivera is on the main card, I've never seen him win a fight. everytime I see him he gets beaten, rather badly too. Bisping was right, Rivera talked his way to fight against a much higher ranked fighter and then blew it. Cant wait for the return of Vitor. I dont care what Silva did to him, Vitors still a beast

• Paid Members

Honestly surprised Tito's stepped up for this, maybe the lure of a potential title shot was too much? Either that or a deal for a another few fights regardless of the outcome? Rashad's one of my favourite fighters, I think he'll beat Tito within a couple of rounds but it's certainly a lot more interesting than the Davis matchup imo.

Sometimes the UFC/Dana's attitude absolutely sucks & the Machida thing is one of those times. The UFC have been absolute bastards in the past with regards to fighters signing away their likeness rights etc (a sticking point for Couture IIRC) & given they've essentially monopolised MMA with the Strikeforce buyout, as soon as the power shifts slightly & a fighter is a strong negotiating position Dana sees his arse & starts slating Lyoto, who's coming off one of the most spectacular KO's in the sport

• Paid Members
Honestly surprised Tito's stepped up for this, maybe the lure of a potential title shot was too much? Either that or a deal for a another few fights regardless of the outcome? Rashad's one of my favourite fighters, I think he'll beat Tito within a couple of rounds but it's certainly a lot more interesting than the Davis matchup imo.

Sometimes the UFC/Dana's attitude absolutely sucks & the Machida thing is one of those times. The UFC have been absolute bastards in the past with regards to fighters signing away their likeness rights etc (a sticking point for Couture IIRC) & given they've essentially monopolised MMA with the Strikeforce buyout, as soon as the power shifts slightly & a fighter is a strong negotiating position Dana sees his arse & starts slating Lyoto, who's coming off one of the most spectacular KO's in the sport

I can see Ortiz pulling off the win. His record is shocking since his 3rd win against Shamrock but he has been competitive against everyone not named Hamill. Ok, he wasn't great against Machida but he almost pulled off the win and no one had looked good against Machida at that point. He's never been a favourite of mine but it would be an amazing story if he won 2 fights in 2 months and got himself either a title shot or a match with the likes of Shogun etc.

• Paid Members

new poster for UFC 133

newUFC-133-poster_large.jpg

and Rashad is already starting :)

Rashad_Evil_large.jpg

"@TitoOrtiz lent me a pair of his shades. Is it me or r they way 2 big?! Lol Tito's head might b bigger than Pages! Lol ... his head is so big when it rains his shoulders don't get wet! These r just jokes! Tweeples don't get all hurt!"

• Paid Members

Tito's locked into a fixed contract that's why he's still getting paid mega bucks.

As for Machida turning it down, i think people are gonna shit on Machida for asking for extra money but i don't hold it against him. It's a situation where the UFC were in a desperate situation, Machida has 3 weeks to prepare for a massive fight, he might as well get compensated for it. The UFC have showed many times that if you do them a favour they will repay you, but Machida's in the kind of position where he's already in a great spot, there's no need for him to risk it for little reward. I just hope Dana doesn't hold it against him.

I'm so glad Tito's in the fight though, it's a great story. Davis/Evans was always gonna be cool, but Davis has plenty of time to get back there. The UFC has a habit of having problems and have something superior come out of it. Ortiz/Evans has a kind of Rocky story to it. Ortiz has gone from a laughing stock to being on the verge of having his career end, to being thrust into a PPV main event in what could potentially be a no.1 contender fight....plus of course, there's unfinished business between the two. Sucks for Rashad though in that he's probably gonna have even more fans against him come August 6th because everyone's loving Tito at the moment.

• Paid Members
I'm so glad Tito's in the fight though, it's a great story. Davis/Evans was always gonna be cool, but Davis has plenty of time to get back there. The UFC has a habit of having problems and have something superior come out of it. Ortiz/Evans has a kind of Rocky story to it. Ortiz has gone from a laughing stock to being on the verge of having his career end, to being thrust into a PPV main event in what could potentially be a no.1 contender fight....plus of course, there's unfinished business between the two. Sucks for Rashad though in that he's probably gonna have even more fans against him come August 6th because everyone's loving Tito at the moment.

Yeah Davis has time. It kinda seemed to me like his moving up the ladder was happening too quick anyway. I'm not sure he was quite ready for the position of headlining a PPV vs Rashad yet, it was only circumstances (Jones getting injured) that put him there in the first place. Even the fight with Little Nog wasn't meant to happen it was gonna be Tito vs Nog.

I think this will benefit Davis in the long run. I'd give him Matyushenko or Luiz Cane or something if they win their next fight and see how he looks. People compare him to Jones and wanna see them fight but Davis is not the finished article imo, he's still putting his game together and his striking in particular needs working on. Give him another year, 2 or 3 fights and I think we'll have a better sense of where he stands.

What happened to Phil Davis?

Injured his knee and had to pull out.

Archived