UFC 133: Evans vs Ortiz 2 Discussion thread

wandshogun09

• Paid Members
Im suggsting that a lot of main events have been rematches. I'd rather see fighters fight people they haven't fought before in a main event. At worst take Rashad out of the main event and move another fight in there and then give Rashad someone else.

Rashad has been inactive for for too long as it is, the last thing he and the UFC want is another lay off. And I think putting him in with someone that probably isn't on his level just to keep it 'fresh' is a bad idea. It opens up a massive can of worms.

You might not want to see the fight between them again but if you think about it, it's the best option. I really think it will be a totally different fight this time round too.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a big Machida fan and dislike Rashad, I certainly care more about this fight than the original but am a bit nervous for Machida.

Rashad is very light on his feet and Machida has been exposed to a certain extent since they first fought. Machida isn't the mystery he once was before the Shogun fights.

I did have Machida beating Rampage and was impressed with how he dominated Couture, but Rashad as much as I dislike him is a top draw fighter and his trainer as much as a dislike him is a great gameplanner.

It is a 50/50 fight in my eyes, Rashad as the quickness and boxing skills to pull it out if he fights smart, hope he does'nt though.

There's only been 2 main events in 2011 that have been rematches. Edgar vs Maynard and Cruz vs Faber. There is no way in hell UFC would put Gustafsson in a main event of a PPV. Hammil is coming off a loss to the guy Rashad last beat, so Hammil is no way an option either. Best case scenario for this, Rashad vs Machida 2

Scratch what I said earlier, MMAFighting.com are reporting that Machida has actually turned down the fight and that Evans is still without an opponent.

What I posted earlier was what Kevin Iole had said on twitter but afterwards he said it was an error and he didn't mean to say it.

Personally I think this is a brilliant opportunity for a barely-known (in MMA mainstream) LHW to make a name for himself by stepping up. Imagine someone like Kyle Kingsbury or Krzysztof Soszynski taking the fight and pulling out a win, they'd be right up near the top of the division instantly - I can envision something like that happening.

If someone like Kingsbury or Soszynski step up and take the fight, I can't see it being the Main event personally. Although Franklin vs Little Nog is hardly gonna be a PPV draw either

Scratch the Franklyn\Little Nog fight and have Franklyn take on Evans. That you could just about sell.

Rashad vs Soszynski\Kingsbury would be a disaster plus I can't see Franklyn\Nog main eventing after all their losses recently.

The UFC are going to have pull some rabbits out of hats to save this one.

If someone like Kingsbury or Soszynski step up and take the fight, I can't see it being the Main event personally. Although Franklin vs Little Nog is hardly gonna be a PPV draw either

I'd prefer to see Belfort vs. Akiyama headline personally, Belfort is the most relevant when compared to Franklin having just fought for a title and Franklin coming off a layoff.

• Paid Members

It's just a massive clusterfuck now isn't it. An article from MMAFighting regarding Rashads situation Here

He's stated before that he doesn't wanna fight any body that is a step down (Davis was though to be honest)

Now he's in a position where if he doesn't fight somebody who is a step down, hes not going to be fighting anyone, going some 15 months without a fight.

I laughed at the idea of someone like Gustafsson earlier, but it could be on now because Rashad surely can't be too picky. He's had far too long out the cage and waiting round for fights he likes has cost him dearly. Can anyone else think of a LHW outside of Bonnar, Kingsbury and Sozynski that could be in with a shout?

How about some Strikeforce guys?

Archived