UFC 133: Evans vs Ortiz 2 Discussion thread

wandshogun09

Deffo PEDs yeah but I think a lot of it is just down to ware and tear aswell. Them 3 have been fighting in some form or another for like a combined 30 years or something. It's gonna take a toll.

I'm certainly not in denial about it. None of them are what they were, especially Big Nog and Cro Cop. Wand doesn't have long left in the game and Shogun is so injury prone it's hard to see how he will ever reach a consistent run of good form like he had years ago.

I honestly think Little Nog, Shogun and Rampage have some good fights left. Not saying Lil Nog's gonna be a contender or anything like that but I genuinely think he has some good performances left in him. I don't see why he'd suddenly go shit between the Cane and Brilz fights. He just needs a fight like a Franklin or Bonnar. Someone like that to show he can still go.

Rampage in 2007 was a better fighter than he ever was in Pride. People can slate his trainer, who to be fair is a dick but he brought out the best in him, this new team he has had seem the Machida fight have gotten him a title shot I will give them that. I do agree there is mileage left in Rampage he seems to have kept himslef in fairly good condition over the years.

I will reserve judgement on Shogun until I see him against Griffin. I think Shogun in 2005 was the best LHW in the world barring maybe Liddel but he did regian that form for a year from when he fought Liddel until he got injured again. I hope he regains consistency but as you pointed out that is hard to see as he has been inconsistent for years.

I will agree with wear and tear, Big Nog and Wanerlai espicially. Maybe the game has caught up as well, the Heavyweight division in paticualar in the UFC is a million times better than it was 3 or 4 years back.

Lil Nog against Bonner would be a great fight to make. :thumbsup:

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah agreed. I'm not even necessarily talking about them getting title shots or anything like that, just that I think there's good fights to be made for all of them. Little Nog vs Bonnar, Little Nog vs Shogun 2, Shogun vs Franklin, Wand vs Akiyama. Who wouldn't wanna see them fights?

Couldn't agree more on your point on the HW division aswell. It's amazing to think just a few years ago the HW division was so lacking that guys like Paul Buentello and Justin Eilers were getting title shots. The division has never been as deep as it is now.

• Paid Members

watching the Pride staples continuously underachieve or completely fail in the octagon has been upsetting me for years, it aint nice to watch. So many people try to cling onto Pride though (im one of em) and will always argue the cast that Pride fighters 'in their prime' would have beaten UFC fighters, and whilst i think it may have been true when the two promotions were running i think it's getting to a point where you have to think that whilst the fighters are slowing down it may also be something to do with the standard of fighting being just simply being better these days.

• Paid Members

What happens to Rafael Natal now? He was meant to fight Phillipou. Probably just scratch him from the card altogether now. What a fucking mess.

Gotta be the new health insurance policy. It was great they did that but all these pullouts are gonna be even more of a common occurence from now on I guess. We're just gonna have to get used to it I suppose.

Ideally I wish they'd have left Phillipou vs Natal and brought back Maiquel Falcao to fight Rivera. That would be a great scrap and main card worthy still.

• Paid Members
Gotta be the new health insurance policy. It was great they did that but all these pullouts are gonna be even more of a common occurence from now on I guess. We're just gonna have to get used to it I suppose.

it has to be something to do with this, guys aint prepared to fight if they aint close to 100% now that they can get the financial support. It makes sense to the fighters but it is f'n annoying.

• Paid Members

Man, with all the fight changes to this card that first post on page 1 might be the most edited post in UKFF history :laugh:

Wouldn't mind them switching a few fights around now. I'd stick Mendes/Yahya on the PPV, Mendes could be next for the winner of Aldo/Florian with a win so it makes sense to have that fight high up. Then I'd move Brown/Phan to Spike with the Hamill fight. I'd rather see that fight than Rivera/Philippou to be honest.

Brown/Phan could be the sleeper on this card imo,

• Paid Members

Yeah man UFC are desperate, They've got David Mitchell fighting at UFC 134 aswell,

I fancy old Nigel to beat Natal. He was sparring with Grant and Phil before the other lad even thought about winning his first Wimbledon,

• Paid Members

UFC 133 nearly lost another main event, Tito was in a car accident at the weekend according to MMAMania.com. He's ok though and the fight with Rashad is said to be still on.

0725-tito-car-subasset_large.jpg

Fuck. Glad he's ok. Tito's got a cracking excuse ready this time if he loses though eh? :cool:

• Paid Members

Just been looking up past UFC cards and while this card has been raped by injuries I don't think it is the worst. I forgot just how cursed UFC 108 was. Have a look at this list

All these fights were scheduled for the Jan 2010 card at one point or another

Brock Lesnar vs Shane Carwin (Brock couldn't fight cos of his dodgy gut. Didn't happen till July 2010 at UFC 116)

Anderson Silva vs Vitor Belfort(Silva not recovered from elbow surgery in time. Finally happened over a year later at 126)

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs Cain Velasquez (Nog got staph again. Postponed a month until Feb 2010 at UFC 110)

Junior Dos Santos vs Gabriel Gonzaga (Gonzaga pulled out with an illness. Ended up on UFC on Versus #1 in Mar 2010)

Carlos Condit vs Paul Daley (Condit pulled out with a hand injury. Hazelett replaced him. Still love to see Condit/Daley)

Tyson Griffin vs Jim Miller (Griffin got injured. Sherk stepped in but then he got injured. Ended up as Miller vs Duane Ludwig)

Martin Kampmann vs Rory Markham (Markham knee injury. Jacob Volkmann stepped in to fight Kampmann)

Vladimir Matyushenko vs Steve Cantwell (Cantwell pulled out days before 108, no time for replacement so Vlad was scrapped too)

Fuck me. As it turned out 108 ended up being a really fun show full of exciting fights and cool finishes.

As for the curse, I'm blaming Rashad. Look back at the most injury plagued UFC shows in history you'll notice Rashad was or is usually lurking on the card somewhere. UFC 85 (he was meant to fight James Irvin, the card was full of pullouts), 108 (he ended up as the main event vs Thiago Silva), and now 133. Not to mention the fights with Jones and Shogun falling through.

someone photoshop Rashad's mug onto this

Grim-reaper.jpg

2uzuf48-300x248.jpg

:D

• Paid Members

a leaked video of some of the hype Ranger Up! did for the Sakara/Rivera fight. It's pretty funny, can't believe they got Sakara involved too. Quite possibly the strangest approach to fight promotion ive ever seen, haha.

I hope Riveria gets smashed.

I still can't believe that Ortiz has such a great opportunity. I'm a massive fan of his and really can't believe how he has got into this position. I think Evans would of beat Davis easily and I very much doubt Ortiz will beat Evans but I think as of now he has a much better chance that Davies did. Momentum and knowing he wont be cut if he looses has got to help him massively. Plus what happens for Evans if he does loose?

Archived