UFC 133: Evans vs Ortiz 2 Discussion thread

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Something i've heard recently is that MMA fans have 'what have you done for me lately?' attitude, and its so true. No better example than Tito Ortiz. He's gone from a guy who many people believed no business being in the UFC anymore to being talked about possibly getting a title shot off the back of one right hand and a guillotine choke. Its absolutely bonkers.

It is one reason to love MMA because the sport just seems to create these unbelievable storylines and most them by accident. The fans can tickle at times though, i can't wait to hear the reaction if Tito gets smashed (which is what i think is likely to happen).

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah on Tito, my thinking is pretty much the same as Rashad's in this quote

"I'm not on the Tito hype train yet, man. I was excited to see him get that win (over Ryan Bader) because he got to stay in the UFC but at the same time, I'm not like... I'm not buying it, man. He got him with a flash knockdown and then he caught him with the guillotine choke. And I don't want to take nothing away from the dude, I mean that's great that he got the win but at the same time, I don't know how that make you back just because you've got one win in five years."

Tito beating Bader was a really cool moment but realistically you can't say he's back off the back of one win in a short fight. If he does somehow beat Rashad, and I don't think he will, then he would have a strong case for a title shot imo if only because he'd have beat the top contender, and the man who was meant to get the shot before Rampage. As nuts as it would be I think it would make sense if Tito pulls off another upset.

• Paid Members

Watched the countdown show last night. The UFC have done an exceptional job of making something out of nothing with the Tito & Rashad situation. Tito's make a good decision taking the Rashad fight, even if he takes a pasting (which I fully expect him to) he's going to get another couple of fights off the back of it & it wont hurt his 'career' any as he'll be used as a 'special attraction' fighter/stepping stone. I wouldn't be surprised to see him used on a couple of foreign cards in the future as his name value is still an attraction even if he's nowhere near the title hunt.

I'm also interested in seeing how Rashad looks after moving from Greg Jackson's camp.

I think Tito's best chance of winning is submitting Rashad

Tito does have underated submissions, he almost caught Machida one of the best BJJ guys at Light Heavyweight in a triangle. Plus no one has ever really tried to sub Rashad, decent submission artists like Griffin, T Silva and Tito himself didnt go for any IIRC.

Rashad is the favorite for good reason, but Tito does have a legit chance on Saturday night, espicially if Rashad is rusty.

• Paid Members
I think Tito's best chance of winning is submitting Rashad

Tito does have underated submissions, he almost caught Machida one of the best BJJ guys at Light Heavyweight in a triangle. Plus no one has ever really tried to sub Rashad, decent submission artists like Griffin, T Silva and Tito himself didnt go for any IIRC.

Rashad is the favorite for good reason, but Tito does have a legit chance on Saturday night, espicially if Rashad is rusty.

Now you mention that, Tito actually had Rashad in a pretty tight guillotine in their first fight but the round ended and saved Rashad. So maybe you're onto something their. Saying that Rashad is a much improved fighter since 2007.

I'm expecting Rashad to win a fairly comfortable decision. Tito's always been tough to finish and I think Rashad will just outpoint him switching between striking and wrestling.

Now you mention that, Tito actually had Rashad in a pretty tight guillotine in their first fight but the round ended and saved Rashad. So maybe you're onto something their. Saying that Rashad is a much improved fighter since 2007.

I'm expecting Rashad to win a fairly comfortable decision. Tito's always been tough to finish and I think Rashad will just outpoint him switching between striking and wrestling.

Fucking hell, how did I forget that, I watched the countdown the other day with it on.

• Paid Members

weigh ins are done and dusted

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)

Rashad Evans (204.4) vs. Tito Ortiz (205.8)

Yoshihiro Akiyama (184.6) vs. Vitor Belfort (185.4)

Brian Ebersole (170.6) vs. Dennis Hallman (170.8)

Constantinos Philippou (185.2) vs. Jorge Rivera (184.6)

Rory MacDonald (170.6) vs. Mike Pyle (170.8)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

Alexander Gustafsson (204.4) vs. Matt Hamill (206)

Chad Mendes (145.8) vs. Rani Yahya (145.2)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)

Ivan Menjivar (138)* vs. Nick Pace (135.8)*

Johny Hendricks (170.8) vs. Mike Pierce (171)

Mike Brown (146) vs. Nam Phan (145)

Paul Bradley (185.2) vs. Rafael "Sapo" Natal (185.4)

* - Menjivar missed weight, and Pace has agreed to fight him at 138 pounds

• Paid Members

weigh in video

few predictions

Rashad - decision

Belfort - KO/TKO round 2

Hallman - decision

Rivera - TKO round 3

MacDonald - decision

and I fancy Hamill and Mendes to take points wins on the Spike prelims.

I was tempted to go for the underdog points and pick Akiyama. I think that fight will be fun and I've gotta favour Vitor but with Belfort sometimes being inconsistant and Sexyama fighting to stay employed maybe he could pull off a surprise win. Belfort should win this though imo.

• Paid Members

If you got a spare 40 mins, here's the video of Friday's Q&A with Mike Goldberg and Chael Sonnen :)

Good watch, Chael's on form but I will warn you the amount of fucking Hockey chat from Goldberg and some of the crowd is fucking annoying if you're like me and don't give a shiny shite about Hockey.

Loved this bit from Chael on the lack of trash talk for the Brian Stann fight

"Well, look I don't manufacture conflict and I'm not gonna go out and create something with Brian Stann that isn't there. Brian Stann is a great guy. I wrote him in and voted him for the President of the United States in 2008, I will write him in again in 2012. And when he becomes the legal age of 35 by 2016, per our constitution, I hope that you ALL vote for Brian Stann. He is an outstanding human being. Look, this isn't 1984. This isn't the Iron Sheik vs Sgt Slaughter, I'm not gonna walk to the ring in curled up boots looking for a camel clutch. I'm not the bad guy here. He's an American, I'm an American too. He loves the USA, I love the USA. But on October 8th in Houston, Texas there's gonna be a red, white and blue ass whippin'."

and this

Fan: "Chael, after you face Brian Stann..."

Chael: "Right, the first defence of MY Middleweight championship. The people's champion. The linear champion. Undefeated and undisputed. Best there is, best there was and best there ever will be thankyou Bret Hart. Go ahead young man, what were you saying?"

Something i've heard recently is that MMA fans have 'what have you done for me lately?' attitude, and its so true. No better example than Tito Ortiz. He's gone from a guy who many people believed no business being in the UFC anymore to being talked about possibly getting a title shot off the back of one right hand and a guillotine choke. Its absolutely bonkers.

It is one reason to love MMA because the sport just seems to create these unbelievable storylines and most them by accident. The fans can tickle at times though, i can't wait to hear the reaction if Tito gets smashed (which is what i think is likely to happen).

another way of saying it would be.. you are only as good as your last fight?

devils advocate/

Had a little bet.

Your selections UFC Matches Vitor Belfort v Yoshihiro Akiyama

07-08-2011 02:40

Match Betting

Vitor Belfort @ 1.30

UFC Matches Brian Ebersole v Dennis Hallman

07-08-2011 02:05

Match Betting

Dennis Hallman @ 1.72

UFC Matches Mike Pyle v Rory Macdonald

07-08-2011 01:35

Match Betting

Rory Macdonald @ 1.33

UFC Matches Alexander Gustafsson v Matt Hamill

07-08-2011 01:15

Match Betting

Matt Hamill @ 2.50

UFC Matches Mike Brown v Nami Phan

06-08-2011 23:15

Match Betting

Mike Brown @ 1.40

Comes in at just under 10/1. I'm surprised at Hamill's odds. I know he didn't look good in the Rampage fight, I still think he'll take this one though. Decided to stay away from the Evans/Ortiz match.

Archived