SPIKE TV

Matt Hamill vs Alexander Gustafsson

Chad Mendes vs Rani Yahya

PRELIMS

Ivan Menjivar vs Nick Pace

Johny Hendricks vs Mike Pierce

Mike Brown vs Nam Phan

Rafael Natal vs Paul Bradley

Another very strong card top to bottom there. Dunno if we'll get the Spike fights this time, hopefully 132 was a one off. The other prelims will probably be on Facebook as usual I guess.

Really looking forward to all the main card fights. The 2 Spike fights should be good and I hope we get to see Ebersole/Hallman and Brown/Phan too.

Interesting to see how Rory MacDonald does. He's looked like a beast so far but Pyle's a crafty fucker. He's the one who stopped John Hathaway's unbeaten run

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Main Card thoughts

I am confident Belfort, Franklin and Macdonald will win.

I will lean towards Sakara, but that could be a back and forth barnburner.

The main event is a tough one. Rashad has a advantage standing whilst Davis is more atheletic, bigger, younger and possibly a better wrestler. It could be argued that this is a good match up for Rashad if he can stop Davis from taking him down. Rashad should then be able to light up Davis who is nowhere near as experianced standing as Rashad.

For know I will say that Rashad wins either on points or by TKO

Another excellent card, as Wandy said there.

Rashad is really in a no-win situation isn't he? If he wins, he's still the #1 contender for the 205lbs title, but if he loses I'd assume he goes out of the reckoning. Still, I fancy Rashad to be too savvy for Davis.

I'd also like to see the winner of the Franklin and Nogueira fight face-off against Tito Ortiz. Either guy would make that a decent co-main event for a future PPV.

I also refuse to look past Belfort in this fight, which will hopefully result in us seeing Wanderlei face Akiyama in Japan.

I'm going to this show in Philadelphia and the Hardy/Lytle show the following week in Wisconsin and I cannot wait.

I'm going to be putting money on Rashad, Belfort and Franklin, even though I'd love Akiyama to win

Good card, but nothing really jumps out at me as must see. Belfort vs. Akiyama is the closest to that. Speed and violent striking vs grappling technique. If Akiyama loses here it'd be 3 in a row, but no way would Dana cut him, he's too big a name, especially when they're trying to take the UFC to Japan next year. I reckon Vitor wins and Akiyama is fed a low level middleweight before the Japan card.

Echoing the surprise about Ebersole's card placement. Hallman is a decent name to put on Spike, I'd swap their bout with the Matyushenko fight.

• Paid Members
Echoing the surprise about Ebersole's card placement. Hallman is a decent name to put on Spike, I'd swap their bout with the Matyushenko fight.

Nah I think Vlad's earned the Spike slot by knocking out Jason Brilz in 20 seconds. Ebersole and Hallman do deserve a better spot than they have but this is gonna happen more and more now, the cards are so stacked since the WEC merger.

We'll most likely get Ebersole/Hallman streamed on Facebook along with the rest of the prelims anyway so it's all good.

• Paid Members

I think you are underestimating Gustafsson as well. I have him as a top 5 fighter in his division in the next few years. I'd like to see Davies win, but Rashad has a tendency to not lose. I can't see anything else but a Belfort win probably via Seagal Kick. Rivera/Sakara I'm scratching my head why this is on the main card. Other than Rivera getting himself a bunch of publicity from the Bisping debacle, to me he's a low level fighter. When Sakara's on his game he's one of the best strikers in the division. Although these days it's not that often, so Im hoping for a Sakara win. Im hoping for Franklin to win and then have him face Tito. I really fancy Mike Pyle to win and quick too.

Of the rest of the matches I ve already mentioned Gustafsson, the other fight im interested in is Brown/Pham which I expect to see a Brown win, but could be the sleeper of the card

• Paid Members

Yeah Gustafsson's a good fighter, a finisher and has an entertaining style. He's been quietly racking up wins on the undercards and I'm glad they're giving him a step up. I'm really looking forward to this fight.

If Akiyama loses here it'd be 3 in a row, but no way would Dana cut him, he's too big a name, especially when they're trying to take the UFC to Japan next year.

Also, all 3 of his UFC fights have ended up being Fight Of The Night.

I would've had Matyushenko vs. Gustafsson on the main card instead of Sakara vs. Rivera, but it doesn't matter too much since we get to see every fight on the night these days anyway.

I can't see Akiyama beating Belfort, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was another FOTN for him. It would be a third loss in a row, but he's facing high level guys. Maybe he could face Sakara or Rivera before the Japan card, I think he'd beat either of them.

• Paid Members

Anyone else really looking forward to Franklin vs Nogueira?

People have been writing Little Nog off but it's worth remembering he's been matched up with wrestler after wrestler in the UFC and they all pretty much beat him on scoring takedowns and staying out of subs. The one time he fought a striker he KO'd Luiz Cane in about 30 seconds. And Cane was on a tear before that. Franklin's not gonna be wrestling.

I think this has all the ingredients of a really awesome fight. Both guys need a win pretty bad to stay in the top end of the LHW division.

Means fuck all really but an interesting bit of trivia - Rich Franklin has fought 3 Brazilian southpaws in his career...

Lyoto Machida

LYOTOKOSRICHFRANKLIN.gif

Anderson Silva

Silva-knee_Franklin-nose.gif

23wa2hx.gif

Vitor Belfort

hqslomobelfortvsfranklin.gif

Good omen for Nogueira? :D

Nah seriously I see this as a pretty even fight. I'd say Nog's got the better boxing, Franklin's the better kicker, both can take a shot but both have been KO'd before. Nog's got the BJJ but Franklin's never been submitted. I think this is a great fight. Dunno which way I'm going predictions wise but I really hope Nog wins.

Anyone else really looking forward to Franklin vs Nogueira?

People have been writing Little Nog off but it's worth remembering he's been matched up with wrestler after wrestler in the UFC and they all pretty much beat him on scoring takedowns and staying out of subs. The one time he fought a striker he KO'd Luiz Cane in about 30 seconds. And Cane was on a tear before that. Franklin's not gonna be wrestling.

That's exactly how the Phil Davis fight went down. Nog was dominant standing, and had it stayed there I have little down that he would have defeated him. He was just unable to deal with Davis' takedowns and ground control which effectively cost him the fight.

Phil Davis is out injured:

Phil Davis has been forced to withdraw from his UFC 133 main event fight against Rashad Evans due to a knee injury, MMA Fighting has learned from sources. No word just yet on who, if anyone, Evans will now fight on the Aug. 6 card. UFC officials could not be reached for comment on Tuesday evening.

According to sources, the UFC is expected to announce Davis' injury and the new UFC 133 main event in the coming hours.

Archived