Raw Discussion and all that

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Because you think Barbie doll look-a-like girls are the be all and end all. Taste is subjective. Because (some) footballers like barbies doesnt mean thats the kind of bar we should all be setting for ourselves. You might think a plastic ring rat is the top of the tree, but plenty others dont.

EDIT: Aimed at Legace, obviously.

If Triple H cuts the same promo, it gets the complete opposite reaction.

Of course it would. Triple H character doesn't lend itself to a promo like this. The segment and script was perfect for someone like Punk.

It seems that the "cool" thing to do is to rail against the so-called internet favourite these days, eh? Why not just enjoy the fucking segment for what it is?

Not this argument again. Seriously, how often is the UKFF going to have this argument? It would help if there was any sense to it, but the fact that there isn't and people seem to regurgitate it all the bloody time when someone doesn't like their favourite is getting incredibly boring and, actually, odd. No one's railing against the 'internet favourite', or the internet fans or any of this other bollocks that keeps being said on here. There's no us vs. them mentality, there's no conspiracy where some of the UKFF memers have decided to pretend to like stuff which isn't 'good' to piss off the 'smarks' its just that the UKFF is a varied forum that doesn't take the typical smark thoughts as gospel. On other forusm there's a sheep mentality where everyone thinks the same things are good. The UKFF isn't like that, its better than that. So can this argument and the branches from it be put away for good now?

No? Oh, alright then...

• Paid Members
I don't doubt it was all planned, but all it takes is a bit of adrenaline and just one wrong thing said to end up getting cut off the way he did. I can imagine the guys in the production truck watching, and saying to each other as he went on: "Whoa, he's frying up gold...uh, he's getting a little close to the knuckle here...right, think we'd better cut him off now, he's gone too far."

Right, but if that wasn't always the intention, how do you think it was meant to end? Just on an "I'll see you in three weeks" kind of line and Punk's music playing?

Not sure, as there are plenty of ways any wrestling segment or promo could end. I'm not saying it definitely wasn't the intention, I'm just not getting the absolute assurance with which people are saying "Oh, that was ALL so clearly planned, and anyone who even speculates is a mong".

All I'm trying to say is that I think people should leave themselves open to the possibility that this was the case, and that, even if they don't, they shouldn't lambast people who do. And who knows? There's even a possibility that Punk fucked up, in addition to the other possibility that he intentionally went off-script.

• Paid Members
I don't doubt it was all planned, but all it takes is a bit of adrenaline and just one wrong thing said to end up getting cut off the way he did. I can imagine the guys in the production truck watching, and saying to each other as he went on: "Whoa, he's frying up gold...uh, he's getting a little close to the knuckle here...right, think we'd better cut him off now, he's gone too far."

Right, but if that wasn't always the intention, how do you think it was meant to end? Just on an "I'll see you in three weeks" kind of line and Punk's music playing?

Not sure, as there are plenty of ways any wrestling segment or promo could end. I'm not saying it definitely wasn't the intention, I'm just not getting the absolute assurance with which people are saying "Oh, that was ALL so clearly planned, and anyone who even speculates is a mong".

All I'm trying to say is that I think people should leave themselves open to the possibility that this was the case, and that, even if they don't, they shouldn't lambast people who do. And who knows? There's even a possibility that Punk fucked up, in addition to the other possibility that he intentionally went off-script.

The camera angle cuts when he broke the fourth wall and waved to colt cabana seemed awfully smooth if it wasn't all planned, don't you think?

You are such a MARK, Carbomb ;)

I think if you're going to run an angle like this, you clearly define the limits, and Punk's a professional who I doubt would jeopardise his future relationship with WWE be going beyond it. And if he DID decide to go off-topic, he'd have actually said something insulting or contentious, which he basically didn't. He didn't even call HHH a bignose, or say that he's only important because he's sleeping with the bosses' daughter. Even Heyman said that, IIRC. Or he could have mentioned Steph and Randy Savage, or Warrior, or many, many other great and embarrassing internet-driven things.

But he didn't - he carved a very clean path through the promo, dropping in enough insider references to make it seem shoot, and then started in on some story which coincidentally tied in nicely with Raw having to go off the air.

We'll never know of course, and it's cool that people are getting into it. I still think it's a stale concept, the work-shoot, but if something good comes from it then it will have been worth it. Otherwise, it's just this year's Nexus.

• Paid Members

The camera angle cuts when he broke the fourth wall and waved to colt cabana seemed awfully smooth if it wasn't all planned, don't you think?

Again - not saying it was all unplanned. I'm saying there is a possibility that the end bit, just the end bit, where he got cut off, might have been a case of him going a bit beyond his remit.

Not sure, as there are plenty of ways any wrestling segment or promo could end.

Yes, there are. But do you really think that it was meant to be any wrestling segment or promo? It was very clearly meant to shake things up and get the Internet up in arms going "SHOOT!" It was never going to end with "If ya smell what the Punk is cookin'!" and the WWE production team hitting his music on cue like a standard wrestling speech. That would've completely gone against what they were trying to achieve.

Was Raw a lot longer than normal this week? I noticed the end of show graphic came up about halfway through the Cena vs R-Truth match, which is unusual. Though they may have just placed it there to avoid putting it during the Punk speech, so that came across more real with the "abrupt" ending.

Because you think Barbie doll look-a-like girls are the be all and end all. Taste is subjective. Because (some) footballers like barbies doesnt mean thats the kind of bar we should all be setting for ourselves. You might think a plastic ring rat is the top of the tree, but plenty others dont.

No I said barbies are the most marketable and they are. There would be no point having a natural girl on Raw because she simply wouldn't draw. You have to cater to the mass audience. You don't see a 10 stone WWE champion do you? No because they simply would not sell. It's the same with the Divas, a pale non glamour girl wouldn't sell it's that simple my friend. I understand people have different tastes, of course they do but that has nothing to do with the business point I was making, hell look at Trish Stratus, tanned, platinum blonde with big fake boobs, went on to become the mose successful female wrestler in WWE history. If she was "natural" looking would that have happened? No Chance. And how is Maryse a ring rat? It's a called a gimmick. Would you really turn girls like her and Trish down? If yes then you are the cretin, which is a shit insult by the way!

• Paid Members

Yes, there are. But do you really think that it was meant to be any wrestling segment or promo? It was very clearly meant to shake things up and get the Internet up in arms going "SHOOT!" It was never going to end with "If ya smell what the Punk is cookin'!" and the WWE production team hitting his music on cue like a standard wrestling speech. That would've completely gone against what they were trying to achieve.

I never said that was the ending they were going to go for. When I mean "there are plenty of ways", I meant in terms of making it look like one of those "uncomfortable" moments, like when Nexus destroyed the ring.

Once again - not saying that it wasn't completely planned, I'm just asking that people keep an open mind and not insult or patronise people who might do. We're talking about a few seconds of footage here, whereby it could've been a complete work, it might have been a guy going into business for himself (unlikely), or it might have been a guy fucking up by getting over-excited and misunderstanding the boundaries of the remit he was given (a bit less unlikely). None of us know what goes on in WWE - we're always telling that to the Tug-Tugs(©King Pitcos), so I think the anti-smarks would do well to remember this too.

• Paid Members

I never said that was the ending they were going to go for. When I mean "there are plenty of ways", I meant in terms of making it look like one of those "uncomfortable" moments, like when Nexus destroyed the ring.

Once again - not saying that it wasn't completely planned, I'm just asking that people keep an open mind and not insult or patronise people who might do. We're talking about a few seconds of footage here, whereby it could've been a complete work, it might have been a guy going into business for himself (unlikely), or it might have been a guy fucking up by getting over-excited and misunderstanding the boundaries of the remit he was given (a bit less unlikely). None of us know what goes on in WWE - we're always telling that to the Tug-Tugs(

Was Raw a lot longer than normal this week? I noticed the end of show graphic came up about halfway through the Cena vs R-Truth match, which is unusual. Though they may have just placed it there to avoid putting it during the Punk speech, so that came across more real with the "abrupt" ending.

I noticed that too, it's normally at the hour and at the end. It made sense when Raw ended how it did.

• Paid Members

No I said barbies are the most marketable and they are. There would be no point having a natural girl on Raw because she simply wouldn't draw. You have to cater to the mass audience. You don't see a 10 stone WWE champion do you? No because they simply would not sell. It's the same with the Divas, a pale non glamour girl wouldn't sell it's that simple my friend. I understand people have different tastes, of course they do but that has nothing to do with the business point I was making, hell look at Trish Stratus, tanned, platinum blonde with big fake boobs, went on to become the mose successful female wrestler in WWE history. If she was "natural" looking would that have happened? No Chance. And how is Maryse a ring rat? It's a called a gimmick. Would you really turn girls like her and Trish down? If yes then you are the cretin, which is a shit insult by the way!

It was this part of your post that made me think you were a cretin.

Why do you think millionaires and footballer types go for girls like that? Because girls like that are at the top of the tree and only wealthy people can get them. Wealthy people can have any girl they want and they go for barbies, that should tell you all you need to know.

Archived