Are You Vegetarian? Or Would You Consider It?

David

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a vegetarian, but I think I'd find it quite easy. I prefer Quorn to meat, a lot of the time. I don't give a fuck about the "rights" of the cows and chickens being farmed, but sometimes I do get a bit disgusted (not morally, mind) at the idea of eating bits of dead animal.

An interesting article I was reading;

How humans are not physically created to eat meat

Although some historians and anthropologists say that man is historically omnivorous, our anatomical equipment

• Paid Members

You could also argue that we arn't designed to eat 90% (if not more) of what is sold in your local Tesco, i think that obviously goes without saying though really. When was the above info gathered, is it based on modern research, or is evolution taken in to consideration? im just curious.

Personally, i eat a lot of meat, i eat a lot of veg. I tend to find they work in harmony with each other. Ive been generally living by the Paleolithic diet for quite a while now, never felt better.

Also, below is a very interesting thing ive read (from multiple sources, all of which are written by accredited doctors/scientists. Its about certain blood types having reactions to certain foods, the moods & health scenarios that can occur when certain blood types eat particular foods. Very interesting read:

http://www.drlam.com/blood_type_diet/

Been veggy for coming up to 4 and a half years now. Can't understand when people sneer at vegetarianism as a moral choice, I don't think the killing of animals for their meat can be morally justified in a developed country though I'd like to see someone try in this thread if they think they can (something less inane than 'it's in our genes' though, please).

Physically I feel fine for it. I take a supplement for vitamin b12 and iron, but it's only as a fail-safe these days. After a 3-month transition period of eating pasta 10 times a week I've settled into a varied diet which I'd imagine is healthier than the one I had before making the change. It's definitely encouraged me to become a better cook as well. Once you learn a few things it's easy to make plenty of tasty stuff on a modest budget.

• Paid Members
Been veggy for coming up to 4 and a half years now. Can't understand when people sneer at vegetarianism as a moral choice, I don't think the killing of animals for their meat can be morally justified in a developed country though I'd like to see someone try in this thread if they think they can (something less inane than 'it's in our genes' though, please).

Physically I feel fine for it. I take a supplement for vitamin b12 and iron, but it's only as a fail-safe these days. After a 3-month transition period of eating pasta 10 times a week I've settled into a varied diet which I'd imagine is healthier than the one I had before making the change. It's definitely encouraged me to become a better cook as well. Once you learn a few things it's easy to make plenty of tasty stuff on a modest budget.

I don't sneer or judge people who choose to be vegetarian, but I fucking hate it when vegetarians do it to me.

• Paid Members

I've been vegetarian for eighteen years. I dislike vegetarians who try to push their choice onto other people to the same degree that I dislike people who get on vegetarian's cases for being vegetarian.

I'm not preachy about it though - it's my choice, not anyone else's. That said...

Couldn't even consider it for a second and although i know i shouldn't, I look down on Vegetarians. I hate the people who do it to be ethical because they hate the way animals are treated... they don't seem to understand their abstaining from meat wont change anything. On the animal treatment, whilst i'd like to see all animals treated well, i don't care enough (probably because i dont have to see it) to stop going to KFC or eating cheap meat.

That's just bollocks. The less demand for meat there is, the more likely that there'll be a decrease in the amount of meat that otherwise would have been produced. There are a lot of vegetarians out there, after all.

• Paid Members

I've been Vegetarian for a few years now. Decided to give it a go when I kept having nightmares after watching a documentary about an abattoir, and it became hard to eat meat.

It's no effort, really. I feel much better because of it and I lost a chunk of weight. The only issue was explaining to my friends and family that I turned Veggy, some didn't care, some treated me like I commited some minor crime.

I too hate preachy people, so I never bring it up unless someone else does. Even then I find it such a chore because you tend to go over the same topics.

I also agree that Quorn produces some lovely food.

• Paid Members
Hitler and Gatso were vegetarians.

Hitler was one of those vegetarians that enjoyed a sausage or bit of ham.

If there was a decent meat-free substitute for all the meaty things I enjoy, then I'd consider it. Quorn lamb tastes almost right, but the texture is way, way off and so I still need my proper lamb.

I could probably substitute all chicken products for Quorn though.

Anyway, if we all turned veggie, cows and chickens would take over the planet. Is that what you want? Is it?

• Paid Members

If you are going to eat meat, then honour the animal by eating as much of it as you can. A friend of mine raised some pigs for the meat, but when the time came to take them to the abattoir he could not do it. I did, and I watched them as they were killed. Those pigs had a good life and they tasted great as well. I know that the last sausage I ate came from a pig called Silvia and that she had a good life. If you are veggie from an ethical standpoint then good luck to you, but it is not for me.

I went veggie a few months ago. Due to wanting to get heathier and thinking about some bbc 3 show about rearing then killing the animals yourself. I'm actually surprised that I don't miss meat at all. And I don't even eat quorn! The only issue is you're gonna have to learn how to cook and use flavour much more. Or you'll crack or just eat tortilla chips all the fucking time. Like I did at first

Archived