Are You Vegetarian? Or Would You Consider It?

David

The last 3 meals I've eaten have all been delicious and vegetarian... 4 if you include Shreddies. All for vegetarianism on many levels.

Never quite had it explained to me though how simply not eating meat somehow gets you out of complicity in killing animals. Consuming the results of this killing doesn't seem a whole lot worse than funding it in any other way.

If you object to a company that uses child workers to make hats, lets say, then not buying hats from them seems like a good start. It seems fairly ridiculous though if you continue to buy glasses, lightbulbs and televisions from them. These may all be made without the need for child labour but by giving this company your money you're still quite clearly complicit in it.

Yet somehow it's viewed as morally superior, by some (i realise many do it for health or simply personal reasons), to not eat meat even though you continue to fund companies who are responsible for killing animals. Buying veggy products from Tescos or wherever is still clearly funding the killing of animals. I even have vegetarian mates who are happy to buy chips from McDonalds.

This is clearly an inconsistent position, so no thanks, but the demands that would be placed on you just in the interest of consistency are far too high. I realise some hardcore vegans grow all their own food and all the rest, and fair play to them, but this is too much for me.

I stick with the easier consistent position therefore, which is just that killing animals to eat isn't immoral.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
bbc 3 show about rearing then killing the animals yourself.

If anything "Kill it, Cook it, Eat it" made me even more of a happy meat eater. It all seemed humane and clean enough, and the cleanliness of the meat was my major worry.

Couldn't even consider it for a second and although i know i shouldn't, I look down on Vegetarians. I hate the people who do it to be ethical because they hate the way animals are treated... they don't seem to understand their abstaining from meat wont change anything. On the animal treatment, whilst i'd like to see all animals treated well, i don't care enough (probably because i dont have to see it) to stop going to KFC or eating cheap meat.

That's just bollocks. The less demand for meat there is, the more likely that there'll be a decrease in the amount of meat that otherwise would have been produced. There are a lot of vegetarians out there, after all.

It's really not bollocks though really, i was talking about an individuals choice not to eat meat. For instance, if i stop eating meat tomorrow as a lone person, i doubt there'll be any less chickens killed next year.

Anyway, as i said, i shouldn't look down on vegetarians i just find the idea of being vegetarian stupid - It's not exactly good for your health, the moral argument whilst i can understand holds no water (animals kill animals for food all the time - why is it so wrong we do this?) The animals we kill wouldn't even have their life at all if not for being farmed, i'm not saying that's an excuse to treat the animals badly, but surely a shit life is better than no life, the chickens don't seem to disagree, i've never seen one take a gun to its head and anyway, they look perfectly happy chilling with all their friends in mesh cages.

I hate Cows, me. Horrible nasty things. Nice eyes though.

Fucking right. Evil creatures. I feel I'm doing my bit by eating as many as I can.

A question: If you could taste human (seasoned/cooked anyway that you like) without anyone ever finding out, would you do it?
I'd have a go.

• Paid Members
A question: If you could taste human (seasoned/cooked anyway that you like) without anyone ever finding out, would you do it?

I'm sure I read something about this years ago and they said human flash tastes like Chicken

According to the movie "Alive" this is true!

I could never be a veggie for one reason...i hate eating veg! As a chef i have to taste things to make sure they are cooked properly/taste ok etc...but i cant bring myself to actually eat a portion. Only veg i will eat is mushy peas. Potatoes too, but everything else is meat with pasta, rice or tatties on the side. Been this way since childhood. Not done me any damage. But i can see the veggie appeal.

• Paid Members
I could never be a veggie for one reason...i hate eating veg! As a chef i have to taste things to make sure they are cooked properly/taste ok etc...but i cant bring myself to actually eat a portion. Only veg i will eat is mushy peas. Potatoes too, but everything else is meat with pasta, rice or tatties on the side. Been this way since childhood. Not done me any damage. But i can see the veggie appeal.

You're a chef? I can't imagine a chef who doesn't eat any vegetables, how odd.

Been a vege for 27 years now. Feel pretty healthy and have far more energy than most of my peers. Its as far as I feel I need to go. I wear leather shoes. I eat dairy. I never preach, unless some silly cunt claims to be a vege, but just has the odd bit of chicken or fish.

• Paid Members

I'm not a veggie nor do I think I could be, purely because my family are mostly farmers & I'd feel like I was doing them a disservice. Trips to the abattoir with my granddad were common when I was a little kid so the sight/prospect of slaughtered beasts doesn't worry me in the slightest, I do agree that you should try to eat quality meat & try not to be wasteful. The idea of eating solely veg doesn't bother me, I'm not a fussy eater at all & eat loads of veg currently so I don't think I'd struggle for meal options.

I've no problem with anyone choosing not to eat meat, I'd question that if you're doing it for moral reasons i.e.. You believe the rearing of animals as a resource is inherently wrong then surely going vegan is the only true alternative? As leather clothing products & dairy foodstuff fall into the exact same 'animal exploiting' category.

You can avoid super-farmed meat like KFC, only eat free range chickens & find yourself a good butcher where you know that the meat has been properly reared & not pumped full of roids if animal welfare is your primary concern.

Also, veggies who still eat fish are hypocrites

• Moderators

My mum is vegetarian so I'm used to eating a lot of vegetarian food. That said, I could never go totally veggie.

As neil has said though, Indian vegetarian food is probably the best vegetarian food there is, and that's what I'm used to; I guess it helps that my mum is a really good cook.

Archived