Are You Vegetarian? Or Would You Consider It?

David

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't even consider it for a second and although i know i shouldn't, I look down on Vegetarians. I hate the people who do it to be ethical because they hate the way animals are treated... they don't seem to understand their abstaining from meat wont change anything. On the animal treatment, whilst i'd like to see all animals treated well, i don't care enough (probably because i dont have to see it) to stop going to KFC or eating cheap meat.

Hmm, not sure. On the one hand I love meat, on the other animal cruelty makes me angrier than just about anything.

I suppose if I was more convinced me giving up meat would result in any less animals being killed, I'd consider it more seriously. Unfortunately I'm not convinced it would make any difference.

• Moderators
Im not veggie although I do enjoy veggie foods. However you couldnt pay me enough cash in the world to eat a KFC after:

Fried-Chicken-Head.jpg

That's nothing, you should see the fried chicken from the local Kebabby. Mind you, I'll eat anything other than Gherkins, Ice Cream and sweets.

• Paid Members
The KFC stuff, particularly the mini-documentary PETA put out, turned me vege for six months. Then I got drunk one night and the next day my body desperately craved a Burger King. It's been downhill ever since...

I've always tended to ignore anything PETA has to say since they went after some friends of mine and made a lot of stuff up. That basically opened my eyes to the fact that since they have an agenda (a misplaced one if memory serves) their stuff is too one sided.

On topic though, I'm a meat eater, I eat meat practically everyday usually with veg or salad and I wouldn't even consider changing! I love a good steak and while I'm not really eating fast food right now, I do love KFC on occasion.

Im not veggie although I do enjoy veggie foods. However you couldnt pay me enough cash in the world to eat a KFC after:

Fried-Chicken-Head.jpg

I'm pretty sure that image was debunkt some time ago, no doubt someone will clarify.

• Paid Members

I could if it wasn't for Steak and Fresh Chicken. I could live happily without stuff like Bacon, Sausages, Pork, Turkey, etc and can't remember the last time I ate stuff like that anyway. I eat tons of fruit and veg so aside from Chicken and Steak my diet is very pro-veggie anyway.

Couldn't even consider it for a second and although i know i shouldn't, I look down on Vegetarians. I hate the people who do it to be ethical because they hate the way animals are treated... they don't seem to understand their abstaining from meat wont change anything.

Don't be so patronising and naive. Just because an animal is going to be subject to cruelty and death regardless of your lifestyle choices, that doesn't make it OK to be complicit in that cruelty if you disagree with it. If paedophillia was legalised in this country and everybody did it, to the point where every kid in the country was getting fiddled with on a daily basis, would you pop down the local primary school and join in? No, because your personal morality and ethics would still find it reprehensible, and you would have no desire to do it.

Even if we accept that the goal of every ethical vegetarian is to end cruelty to animals and the consumption of meat (which is not a given - vegetarianism is a personal ethical choice, not necessarily an attempt to influence society and the wider world) then each meat-eater who becomes vegetarian is one step closer to a vegetarian society which will put an end to cruelty. That is a pipe dream that is 99.99999% certain not to occur in our lifetimes, but that doesn't make our ethical beliefs not worth fighting for. Social change is only ever affected by the few people who stand up for what they believe is right, against the majority opinion or status quo.

Also, from a purely economic basis less demand will eventually lead to less supply - in the long term, the meat industry will suffer and decrease in size if the popularity of vegetarianism continues to grow. It's no comfort to the herds of cattle alive now who are going to be slaughtered regardless, but sometimes in life all you can do is work towards long term goals, and try to affect change for future generations.

• Paid Members

I've never thought about it but I think I consume far too many sausage and egg McMuffins to contemplate it.

That deep fried bird head above is going to give me nightmares too, thanks for that!

• Paid Members

I considered for a while when I was skint, as a veggie diet can be dirt cheap. In the end though, I just couldn't do it. Even a tasty veggie curry can't match up to something's flesh. I lived off dirt cheap mince for a while instead.

Archived