The WCW in 2001 Appreciation Thread

AshC

Been watching a load of the last months of WCW TV today, and apart from the production, which was pretty much falling apart, it holds up really well.

Among the stuff that's been more than watchable...

The Crusierweight Tag Team Tournament

AJ Styles, Jason Jett and Kid Romeo debuts

O' Haire and Palumbo vs Storm and Awesome mini feud

The Magnificent Seven and Flair's documentary~

The Keibler/Stasiak baby angle

Jeff Jarrett and Ric Flair dressing up as Dusty Rhodes

Scott Steiner vs DDP feud

A load of good Shane Helms matches

and an impromptu six-man with Page, Booker and Cat vs Steiner, Luger and Bagwell which tore the house down! Really!

Show some love for the flickering light!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those were the times where Scott Steiner got his big run at the WCW Championship and I loved him as the slightly deranged world champion along with Midajah (?).

Actually, I geuninely thought WCW was going to come back watching 2001, I loved the whole show. My highlights were:

Scott Steiner in general,

Lance Storm wrestling,

Sugar Shane Helms and his Cruiserweight quest

Cruiserweights in general

Chavo Guerrero's WCW Cruiserweight title run

Booker T's return from injury

Sean O Haire and Chuck Palumbo

DDP and the Insiders

Kwee Wee's angry man

Hugh Morrus wrestling

Luger and Bagwell getting loads of heat

Jason Jett's debut

Jeff Jarrett and his Dusty Rhodes tribute

• Paid Members
The one where he then went on to say virtually the opposite about WCW during his WWE run?

Pretty much. Flair said over and over again in interviews during his WWE tenure that you were nothing in the industry if you didn't work for Vince McMahon or words to that effect. Look at him now. Flair is one of those for whom "the greatest company in professional wrestling" is the one that's paying his salary.

Fair play to him. It's a work, after all.

A lot of people seem to forget that WCW was actually getting it's act together in the last few months before they were sold to Vince McMahon. I definitely remember watching an episode of Nitro for the first time in a while and being surprised at how well put together and how entertaining it was.

• Paid Members

Myself, Butch, Cleetus and Air_raid may have spoke more about 2001 WCW than anything else on here and we are filled with constant praise of it. Johnny Ace and Eric Bischoff had it down. Johnny Ace as a booker was tremendous, and Bischoff has always proved with the right partner he's an big asset to a promotion. Bischoff's fist act of business was to re-introduce a high flying division both as a singles and as a tag team division. He sacked the likes of Vampiro, Major Guns and Daffney and all the supermodels who he thought had no place anywhere near a wrestling ring. And with the money (he could only hire if he fired people until the sale went through), he brought in Mike Modest, Christopher Daniels and a load of independent talent for his cruiser ranks. Ace and Bischoff had a class tag division at the time with Awesme and Storm and Palumbo and O'Haire leading the way, they brought back Kanyon and they took all of the stars off television so they could return with more star power on a heavily promoted return PPV. WCW's future looked awesome from the way the promotion was put in place. Jerry Lawler, Rob Van Dam, Steve Corino, Sabu and probably all the useful ECW wrestlers were either signed or agreed to sign before he sale went through as well. Bit of a shame really :(

Also Fileserve is back up and running, which is always good. Which means WCW's whole library can be viewed online again.

Myself, Butch, Cleetus and Air_raid may have spoke more about 2001 WCW than anything else on here and we are filled with constant praise of it. Johnny Ace and Eric Bischoff had it down. Johnny Ace as a booker was tremendous, and Bischoff has always proved with the right partner he's an big asset to a promotion. Bischoff's fist act of business was to re-introduce a high flying division both as a singles and as a tag team division. He sacked the likes of Vampiro, Major Guns and Daffney and all the supermodels who he thought had no place anywhere near a wrestling ring. And with the money (he could only hire if he fired people until the sale went through), he brought in Mike Modest, Christopher Daniels and a load of independent talent for his cruiser ranks. Ace and Bischoff had a class tag division at the time with Awesme and Storm and Palumbo and O'Haire leading the way, they brought back Kanyon and they took all of the stars off television so they could return with more star power on a heavily promoted return PPV. WCW's future looked awesome from the way the promotion was put in place. Jerry Lawler, Rob Van Dam, Steve Corino, Sabu and probably all the useful ECW wrestlers were either signed or agreed to sign before he sale went through as well. Bit of a shame really :(

Also Fileserve is back up and running, which is always good. Which means WCW's whole library can be viewed online again.

Not a lot of seeders on this torrent, how fast is Fileserve?

A lot of people seem to forget that WCW was actually getting it's act together in the last few months before they were sold to Vince McMahon. I definitely remember watching an episode of Nitro for the first time in a while and being surprised at how well put together and how entertaining it was.

Yup, damn straight. Still obviously it wasn't perfect but during the last few months when they re-invented themselves you could ignore the flaws and enjoy. Sin, Superbrawl Revenge and Greed are all decent ppvs.

The most gutting thing for me, was never seeing Jason Jett get his chance at the wcw cruiserweight championship!

• Paid Members

I'd have been very much in favour of a three-way feud between Misterio/Kidman, Romeo/Skipper and the emerging Air Styles/Air Paris. In fact, I'm not convinced Romeo & Skipper would have dropped the titles to Misterio and Big Billy if it hadn't been the last episode of Nitro, it felt a little bit like getting Rey Jr and Kidman in the shop window. I liked the Skipper/Romeo team, and for some reason I loved "Last Kiss" as a name for the finish of "Kid Romeo." Stuff like that really appeals to me. I mean, "Skull Crushing Finale" for instance is such a dull generic name, "Go To Sleep" while a decent name has nothing to do with Punk's gimmick... I could go on.

Much the same as Scotty dropping the big belt to Booker T, with it being widely assumed at the time that Booker might accept a buy out of his AOL Time Warner contract and want to work for Vince, whereas Steiner was thought to either be willing to stay at home and collect the money for nothing, or not be seen to be worth a punt for Vince anyway, what with his rumoured "foot's about to fall off" problems and penchant for getting into a fracas with fans/swearing/occasionally going into business for himself.

EDIT -

Jason Jett! On a similar note to above, "Crash Landing" ! Because his name is Jett! A bit like "Jet"! I'm easily amused.

• Paid Members

I know absolutely sod all about 2001 WCW because I pretty much wasn't watching any wrestling at that time, but I bumped into this absolutely cracking match from Greed between Kwee Wee and Jason Jett on my travels earlier:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DxcVrQy8K4

It goes about 13 minutes, which looks too long on paper for an opener but it's fucking ace! Kwee Wee's offence is fantastically unorthodox (like his hair), Jett's a bit goofy but really good fun, and his finisher is brilliant. The spot at 5:05 is brilliant as well. More recommendations please!

Archived