The WCW in 2001 Appreciation Thread

AshC

• Paid Members

the weird thing for me is, i only really followed WCW during the dark period towards the end...i always knew of WCW and read about it but it wasnt so easy to get hold of tapes when i was young so it was only from around 99 onwards i watched, then kinda worked backwards.

I've said it in a few threads on here, i loved WCW at that time, i even loved the fucking shitness of the stuff in 2000...there was something about it, i loved the whole unpredictable, car-wreck atmosphere to it all. I'd watch any of that stuff over the WWE's weekly product from this year anyday.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I know absolutely sod all about 2001 WCW because I pretty much wasn't watching any wrestling at that time, but I bumped into this absolutely cracking match from Greed between Kwee Wee and Jason Jett on my travels earlier:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DxcVrQy8K4

It goes about 13 minutes, which looks too long on paper for an opener but it's fucking ace! Kwee Wee's offence is fantastically unorthodox (like his hair), Jett's a bit goofy but really good fun, and his finisher is brilliant. The spot at 5:05 is brilliant as well. More recommendations please!

That was a brilliant match for an opener. I forgot how entertaining Kwee Wee was, as first time around I was blinded by my 10 year old homophobia.

"A guy in pink? He must be gay, and that's uncool."

What Ebb said.

I also loved their hardcore division - some classics with Norman Smiley, Meng, Crowbar, Bam Bam, Brian Knobbs, Fit Finlay and others. Awesome stuff.

No mention of 'Lightning Foot' Jerry Flynn and Tank Abbott fighting people in 'the Block'! Also when Tank got his buddy Big Al a gig with WCW and they went into business for themselves on one of the PPVs.

I say it whenever these threads come up, but I still think it was criminal that neither Kid Romeo or Jason Jett got a shot in the WWF. Boths contracts were picked up in the initial buyout and neither even received so much as a dark match.

• Paid Members

Yeaaaaaah, but neither were Buff, and it's a bigger tragedy that Vince, JR and the rest of the boys were blind to how truly The Stuff he was.

It was Booker that made that match shit. Clearly.

• Paid Members
Yeaaaaaah, but neither were Buff, and it's a bigger tragedy that Vince, JR and the rest of the boys were blind to how truly The Stuff he was.

It was Booker that made that match shit. Clearly.

And to make it worse he even had his mom telling them how great he was, and they still missed it.

• Paid Members
And to make it worse he even had his mom telling them how great he was, and they still missed it.

Not to go OT and talk about 1998, but I can't decide whether I am relieved or sad that the planned spectace of Steiner & Bagwell vs Steiner & Bagwell never happened.

Obviously it would have been horrific, but how hilarious would it have been to hear Penzer declare :

"The WcW World Tag Team Champions... the Dog Faced Gremlin, RICK STEINER... and JUDY BAGWELL!!!!"

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBC_GdQCmxE

Just reposting Butch's link to Nitro from the reboot onwards in 2001. It's great stuff.

It's interesting to see who made it into WWE and who didn't. It's almost inconceivable, seeing them here, that Kronik weren't huge in WWF, for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBC_GdQCmxE

Just reposting Butch's link to Nitro from the reboot onwards in 2001. It's great stuff.

It's interesting to see who made it into WWE and who didn't. It's almost inconceivable, seeing them here, that Kronik weren't huge in WWF, for example.

awesome just watchin it now unreal it holds up today

I think part of what makes latter day WCW so enjoyable is that, unlike today's WWE its rarely boring. Bad booking, yes, but boring...absolutely not. It really had something for everyone. Cruiserweights, star names, brawls, technical bouts, wackiness. And there was no generic 'WCW style or look' to conform to!

• Moderators

The short push of Jason Jett in WCW I enjoyed. He was only there for about the last 3 weeks, but got over with some quality matches, a unique finisher and he had a well good match against Kid Kash on (I think) the final Thunder.

• Paid Members

The renaissance of this thread is the best bumping since Curt Hennig. Dusty's ass, ROFL.

I still can't believe my eyes at this one -

Don't bring back the memories :(

Do you not like joy?

• Moderators

2001 were only good WCW memories. Also, it's good they washed out the shite of 2000 by putting everyone in their correct position on the card. Lance Storm, Hugh Morrus and Shane Douglas in the middle of mid-card, and shite like Reno and Mark Jindrak off TV.

Archived