Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
On 12/24/2019 at 12:04 PM, Stylin_and_Profilin said:

Haven't seen that for years, i think it was one of the very first nasty things i saw when the internet was a baby on dial up 20 odd years ago but it was in grainy black and white footage over dial-up modem (Bud Dwyer video was the other one 🤢 that springs to mind).

I'm not going to watch it now but is the shooter pretending to be on the phone when he walks past and then shoots him? I've seen that somewhere on a legit VHS release somewhere and I can't think where.

Don't Fuck With Cats

It's OK. It's an interesting story, and one that I had no idea about, but it doesn't need to run 3 hours, and the biggest bugbear I have is that the two main interviewees are really fucking annoying, and don't add well to the documentary (think the lawyer in The Staircase and how great he was and added to the series).

Way too many instances of "And then we found out X and were just like...HOLY FUCK/SHIT". It doesn't sit up there with the top tier Netflix docs...your Evil Geniuses, your Staircases, Your Making A Murderers (Get Redknapp on one of these)

14 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Don't Fuck With Cats

It's OK. It's an interesting story, and one that I had no idea about, but it doesn't need to run 3 hours, and the biggest bugbear I have is that the two main interviewees are really fucking annoying, and don't add well to the documentary (think the lawyer in The Staircase and how great he was and added to the series).

Way too many instances of "And then we found out X and were just like...HOLY FUCK/SHIT". It doesn't sit up there with the top tier Netflix docs...your Evil Geniuses, your Staircases, Your Making A Murderers (Get Redknapp on one of these)

I haven't watched it so correct me if I'm wrong, but I find it strange that the focus of the documentary is the cat killing which is something they discovered after his arrest. 

I'm surprised the focus isn't on

the fact that he murdered a bloke with an ice pick, fucked him, cut his body up and fed some of it to a dog. Filmed it all and uploaded it onto the internet. Then posted a dismembered foot to a political party headquarters and a hand to a primary school.

That seems like more of a documentary worth story.

Edited by wordsfromlee

• Paid Members

I’m highly looking forward to watching this when I get home.

“Learning To Skateboard In A Warzone (If You're A Girl)' is currently on the short list for an Oscar!
It follows a class of girls at @skateistan which is a nonprofit org that began as a skate school in Kabul in 2007 & grew into a multinational educational initiative.”

121A439B-9DEE-4BE9-B63D-16E48FE8EF61.jpeg

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Don't Fuck With Cats

Watched it for 10 minutes.  Not sure if they showed what he did to the kittens, but couldn’t risk it.  Too fucked up for me.

you don’t see any of what he does in full but they show it in a blurred/off kilter way of the videos if that makes sense. Like say, the bottom left of the screen but you can kind of still make it out. But warning you do see stills of the kittens dead afterwards, it is rank. Gave my Nova a massive hug after I’d watched it, and a whole bag of dreamies

3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Hide contents

you don’t see any of what he does in full but they show it in a blurred/off kilter way of the videos if that makes sense. Like say, the bottom left of the screen but you can kind of still make it out. But warning you do see stills of the kittens dead afterwards, it is rank. Gave my Nova a massive hug after I’d watched it, and a whole bag of dreamies

Hide contents

Yeah, I regret watching it. I don’t really see any need for that documentary to exist, it effectively gives the perpetrator the notoriety he clearly craves.

It’s from 2016, but I highly recommend Tickled. It’s a bizarre story about a journalist’s attempts to cover what claims to be a competitive tickling league. It may not sound like it, but it actually ends up showing how wealth and power can shut down legitimate journalism, and protect people who don’t deserve protecting. Give it a go.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I recommend the new Aaron Hernandez docuseries on Netflix. I knew little about the guy going in other than knowing that he'd supposedly killed someone and was a big American Football star. Just an absolute barmy story, i put the first hour on before bed and ended up doing the 3 hours on the bounce, i was hooked.

kille-rinside.jpg

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

I recommend the new Aaron Hernandez docuseries on Netflix. I knew little about the guy going in other than knowing that he'd supposedly killed someone and was a big American Football star. Just an absolute barmy story, i put the first hour on before bed and ended up doing the 3 hours on the bounce, i was hooked.

kille-rinside.jpg

Watched this last night. The story just isn’t interesting enough, apart from him being an elite athlete. 

Felt like this is a story replicated hundreds of times a year across the States, which clearly isn’t a good thing, I just feel that this was the most generic one that Netflix had done recently.