Raw Discussion *Spoilers* 7/3

Super Cena

I'd say I still love wrestling but not as much as the 80s and 90s where they had vampires, barbarians, dead people and proper gimmicks. I'm a little bit tired of WWEs muscle bound guys.

But also the same way I was bored with Bret Hart hugging people and Stone Cold just punch kick stunner all the time. I never really liked it that's all. Where as mentalists like Hogan have done stuff that has kept me interested, even now wondering if he is going to die in the TNA ring.

Where are the barbers? Snake owners? Macho Kings? Vampires? Clowns? Natural disasters? Tax inspectors?

*sigh*

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A pretty enjoyable show on the whole. The Austin/JBL/Cole stuff was obviously the highlight.

It is still rather worrying though that so much focus and so much of the better stuff is coming from the old crowd...

Rock

Austin

Triple H

Taker

Michaels

Or non-wrestlers cutting better promo's and getting better heat than the actual wrestlers, with Cole and JBL.

It is weird how suddenly 'ass' and 'bitch' seem to be OK, as well as hyping up a show (Jersey Shore) that seems to be entirely about getting drunk and fucking stupid people. Who exactly are their target audience these days???

Cena promo was painful to listen too. Just really, really bad and un-funny. Knock-out blow? Yeah, right!

Sunny in the Hall Of Fame is awesome.

I have a theory on this.

I believe its possible that they focus on 'a' generation. I started watching in the late 80's early 90's, i was a youngster at the time and lots of my chums were also wrestling fans, because they were aiming it at that generation. Parents who didnt really know about the steroids thing or didnt see the WWF as harmful were happy for us to watch it as it was basically crazy characters running around pretending to hurt each other.

When i was a teen, the attitude era hit, again, my generation (and a lot of yours) were now teens and got a kick out of swearing and tits, its fair enough, WWF may have thought 'lets not lose this generation of viewers because they in fairness have made us what we are'.

Eventually, they ended up losing some of that generation, late teens/early 20's... people move on, some of us dont, but you know, a lot of these young adults put wrestling behind them. WWE may have thought, 'right lets start again.. lets aim it at the kids and grow up with them'.

If this is the case (which i believe loosely, it could be) then maybe the generation they have been aiming at for the last 4 or 5 years are hitting that teenage 'attitude' part of life, WWE could simply be targeting those people, much like they did with us.

I could quite easily be very wrong, but it seems quite believable.

This is 100% correct. I remember reading in the 'Business Page' of Pro Wrestling Illustrated in about 2008 a quote from, possibly, Donna Goldsmith, who said that a big reason for the WWE's new PG direction was to attract a group of young fans who could be groomed to be loyal WWE fans. So, it would definitely make sense that in time, the maturity levels of the WWE content will rise to reflect the increasing age of that young audience that was first targeted a few years ago.

The good thing about this for WWE is that if this is indeed the case, then it will also have the effect of possibly enticing back the lost audience of older viewers put off by PG viewing. Maybe, as said, we are starting to see this already, with Cena seemingly being less juvenile in recent weeks and some mild cursing creeping back in, and also things like the Snooky vignette and her involvement with the company.

It's like bringin a knife to a gunfight

I'm pretty sure jay Z didn't "make that up".

It's a pretty standard phrase, probably goes back to the days of Cowboys in the Wild West or something.

Yeah, and a pretty standard rap phrase long before Jay-Z uttered it. Master P of WCW-fame was the first person I heard 'spit' that line, and that was long before 2001.

Cena's promo on RAW really was awful this week, I thought the first one he did was actually quite good but it's as though he has totally ran out of material about one guy. The only bit that was at all funny was the t-shirt in my opinion.

Part of me is hoping that with Stone Cold, The Rock, HHH, Undertaker all having big roles at Wrestlemania that maybe what they were hoping to do was bring in the viewers and the buy rates with the big names then use that as a way of exposing Ziggler, The Miz, Sheamus, Daniel Bryan etc. etc. to a huge audience and trying to get them to tune in each week to see what's going on with them.

I mean there's no doubt The Rock being back has been massive for ratings in the UK, something I thought weird was that after playing 5 a side with some of the guys from work last week two of my mates that had never mentioned wrestling in front of me ever started talking about how they heard The Rock had came back to it so had both looked it up on youtube and were going to watch RAW on TV that week.

Maybe, as said, we are starting to see this already, with Cena seemingly being less juvenile in recent weeks and some mild cursing creeping back in, and also things like the Snooky vignette and her involvement with the company.

I've not noticed him being any less juvenile. He's still talking about turds all the time. WWE haven't had any problem using guest stars from dodgy-content TV shows, either. Jeremy Piven is best known for his extremely foul-mouthed sitcom character. The Osbournes went mainstream by swearing all the time. Snoop Dogg and Cheech and Chong aren't particularly family-friendly. Johnny Knoxville's claim to fame is as contentious and morally-bankrupt as Jersey Shore. WWE are never shy about getting someone famous for naughty stuff in.

Maybe, as said, we are starting to see this already, with Cena seemingly being less juvenile in recent weeks and some mild cursing creeping back in, and also things like the Snooky vignette and her involvement with the company.

I've not noticed him being any less juvenile. He's still talking about turds all the time. WWE haven't had any problem using guest stars from dodgy-content TV shows, either. Jeremy Piven is best known for his extremely foul-mouthed sitcom character. The Osbournes went mainstream by swearing all the time. Snoop Dogg and Cheech and Chong aren't particularly family-friendly. Johnny Knoxville's claim to fame is as contentious and morally-bankrupt as Jersey Shore. WWE are never shy about getting someone famous for naughty stuff in.

I mean less juvenile as in the way the whole him and Rock thing has played out. It's been more adult-orientated I'd say, with real-life sentiments alluded to such as accusations of the Rock selling out and being a phony, and Cena being a soft cartoon character. This is all stuff that adults would argue about these two, not children. A child would argue as to whether the People's Elbow is better than U Can't C Me. So I'd say this is a feud that has been pitched to an older audience for sure. Also there has been the rise in cursing, which, whilst being pretty pathetic, is still more adult-centred.

And as for the aforementioned celebrities used, well that is true, but none of those people were advertised or depicted on Raw in their true, most adult-orientated way were they, whereas Snookie has been advertised straight away with a clear and concise lesbian kiss, and depicted in bed with men, which has no dual meaning and cannot be interpreted in any other way than shocking and adult-orientated. With the people you've mentioned, there was of course the dodgy Cheech and Chong sketch, which insinuated but didn't clearly state drug use, and wasn't there some sort of hidden joke about Snoop and a cloud of weed smoke, which again insinuated but not clearly state or allude to drug use. So I'd say, again, a more direct adult theme showing through, that isn't relying on hidden jokes and double meanings.

• Paid Members
It's like bringin a knife to a gunfight

I'm pretty sure jay Z didn't "make that up".

It's a pretty standard phrase, probably goes back to the days of Cowboys in the Wild West or something.

Yeah, and a pretty standard rap phrase long before Jay-Z uttered it. Master P of WCW-fame was the first person I heard 'spit' that line, and that was long before 2001.

As far as I'm aware, it's a quote from the 1987 movie 'The Untouchables'. Sean Connery is stalked by a guy who's going to stab him, and then turns around with a gun and says 'Just like a wop to bring a knife to a gunfight'. It may predate that as a saying, but that's probably the most famous use of it.

• Paid Members

So just got done watching this.

Cena is just proving week after week that he is awful at this, the line that summed it up for me was the fella from the crowd who on the appearance of a T-Shirt shouted:

"You've got props?!?!?!"

The fact Miz produced a 100% more solid promo after that abortion was the icing on the cake too.

'Taker was great, HBK was great, Dolph served a great purpose. SCSA was alright but seemed to go on forever and I actually preffered the appearance of JBL. Sin Cara promo was excellent, I skipped the Diva match, but did manage to catch the Cole line of "Thank God that's over" which was cracking.

Overall not a bad show, but they have forced Cena/Rock so far down my throat it's starting to leave a bad taste, stop with the

"Look what was posted on Facebook ... look we're modern, we've mentioned Facebook"

And also the mini deconstructions of the promos from the week before, Christ they were average promos at least do we have to see it broken down into three/four parts? It's starting to hurt my eyes.

Overall; Raw was not too shabby, Cena was God awful and slightly embarassing.

• Paid Members
Credit: F4WOnline.com

The RAW segment with Steve Austin, Michael Cole, and JBL was a huge ratings success. It did a 4.46 quarter hour and drew well with male teenagers.

At this point, JBL's return was a one-shot deal and he's currently not scheduled for Wrestlemania.

While that segment did well, the Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan match that followed it lost 1,102,000 viewers.

Christ, thats a lot of viewers to lose. Is that Austin being popular, or Sheamus and Daniel Bryan being rotten?

The RAW segment with Steve Austin, Michael Cole, and JBL was a huge ratings success. It did a 4.46 quarter hour and drew well with male teenagers.

At this point, JBL's return was a one-shot deal and he's currently not scheduled for Wrestlemania.

While that segment did well, the Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan match that followed it lost 1,102,000 viewers.

Christ, thats a lot of viewers to lose. Is that Austin being popular, or Sheamus and Daniel Bryan being rotten?

More Austin being popular I think

But Sheamus has lost so much momentum it isnt even funny,Bryan is floundering as well

• Paid Members

According to the Observer newsletter, Meltzer reckons that it's Austin being popular. People tuned in for Austin, then tuned out until the end of the show, assuming Austin or Rock would do something else. He also said that Austin's announcement caused tickets to just surge hugely in sales.

I am not sure what it says about the Mania card thus far, but the match I am most loking forward to is Lawler V Cole.

Thats no surprise, because its probably the feud WWE have put the most thought into, apart from the fake Rock/Cena feud Id say its the best thing WWE have done this year, infact the seeds were already laid last year as well, its been done very well, while everything else at Mania has been slapped nuts together.

I'm most looking forward to HHH vs Taker and The Rock, and I mean just The Rock, not the Miz/Cena match, seeing Cena Over Come The Odds again is just so done for me.

Well it has to be both for me, for sure Austin is a massive draw, but it just shows when the new guys come out the casual/old fans dont care, and that Sheamus/DB match was just another squash anyway, so any new fan that did stay will think Sheamus is some crappy jobber.

I bet if you told a casual/old fan that this guy beat TripleH they would laugh.

Archived