Raw Discussion *Spoilers* 7/3

Super Cena

In fact someone (can't remember who) referred to this as a transitional-mania, where the focus was on building future stars (Del Rio and Miz) as oppose to giving us that feel good ending like a most manias.

I would say this is far from a transitional WrestleMania. Last year bombed badly, with the buying being much lower down than previous years. This year, they tried to get Lesnar in and they have gotten the Rock and Austin on board. This year is all bought getting WrestleMania's buyrate up to its traditional standards, because the year end report showed the PPV buys have taken a consistant dip for all of 2010.

Isn't that because the prices of the PPVs increased? I.e. they made less sales but made more money regardless?

From Wiki:

- WM24: "Over one million people ordered the event on pay-per-view, grossing $23.8 million in revenue."

- WM25: "Approximately 960,000 people ordered WrestleMania XXV, grossing $21.0 million in revenue"

- WM26: "Approximately 885,000 people ordered the event, grossing $39 million in revenue."

(BTW, I've no idea if the above figures are accurate... I just generally curious as to how much each show MADE as oppose to how many tickets they sold.)

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Cena's promo was awwwwwwful. Whoever wrote that should be shot, it lacked the flow of the first promo, and had absolutely no killer lines. I might have missed something, but what the shit was the pearl necklace about...?

A pearl necklace is a necklace meade of pearls ... or spunk. Why John Cena spunking neatly around The Rock's neck is a threat, I've no idea.

You are right, the promo was awful. The delivery lacked the pizzaz of the one the other week too. The T-Shirt was a good gag and the last line about the knife in a gun fight but the rest was dire.

'Taker's promo was very good, same for HBK and The Miz. Otherwise, not a great show. The Austin segment was the most obvious thing they have ever, ever done.

That last line sounded so much better when Jay Z made it up

The takeover, the break's over nigga

God MC, me, Jay-Hova

Hey lil' soldier you ain't ready for war

R.O.C. too strong for y'all

It's like bringin a knife to a gunfight, pen to a test

Your chest in the line of fire witcha thin-ass vest

You bringin them Boyz II Men, HOW them boys gon' win?

This is grown man B.I., get you rolled into triage

Beatch - your reach ain't long enough, dunny

Your peeps ain't strong enough, fucka

Roc-A-Fella is the army, better yet the navy

Niggaz'll kidnap your babies, spit at your lady

We bring - knife to fistfight, kill your drama

Uh, we kill you motherfuckin ants with a sledgehammer

Don't let me do it to you dunny cause I overdo it

So you won't confuse it with just rap music

This was released on september the 11th 2001

Cena should have just taken the whole thing and re-worded it like this

The takeover, the break's over Rocky

God Wrestler, me, John Cena

Hey lil' soldier you ain't ready for war

John Cena, too strong for y'all

It's like bringin a knife to a gunfight, pen to a test

Your chest in the line of fire witcha thin-ass vest

You bringin them Via satellite's , HOW you expecting to win?

This is grown man B.I., get you rolled into triage

Beatch - your reach ain't long enough, Rocky

Your peeps ain't strong enough, Rocky

John Cena is the army, better get the navy

John Cena will kidnap your baby, spit at your lady

I bring a knife to fistfight, Like carlito back in 01

kill your Grandfather

Uh, I'll kill you motherfucker with a sledgehammer

Don't let me do it to you Rocky cause I overdo it

So you won't confuse it with just rap music.

You hollywood sell out

That would have proper rinsed The Rock no come back. If he is going to borrow a line why not just re-write it a bit and use the whole fucking thing.

• Paid Members
It's like bringin a knife to a gunfight

I'm pretty sure jay Z didn't "make that up".

It's a pretty standard phrase, probably goes back to the days of Cowboys in the Wild West or something.

Jay z was around in the 1800's fighting with the likes of Nas the destroyer and Mobb deep the Barbarian. Also Kayne wild wild West used to make his guns and knives.

I just worded it wrong hopefully I don't get ripped into like Triple H.

It sounded much better when Jay Z spat it in 2001.

I have not seen RAW yet but im guessing, we see the usual boring repitition of :

1) Steve Austin walks up to *insert bad guy here*

2) Talks a little, repeating the same crap catchphrases

3) Maybe puts in a quick punch

4) Does a Stunner

5) Poors Beer onto his face, only ingesting about 0.06 fl oz

6) Leaves

Seriously, im bored of him now... punch kick stunner..... YAWN.

• Paid Members
A pretty enjoyable show on the whole. The Austin/JBL/Cole stuff was obviously the highlight.

It is still rather worrying though that so much focus and so much of the better stuff is coming from the old crowd...

Rock

Austin

Triple H

Taker

Michaels

Or non-wrestlers cutting better promo's and getting better heat than the actual wrestlers, with Cole and JBL.

It is weird how suddenly 'ass' and 'bitch' seem to be OK, as well as hyping up a show (Jersey Shore) that seems to be entirely about getting drunk and fucking stupid people. Who exactly are their target audience these days???

Cena promo was painful to listen too. Just really, really bad and un-funny. Knock-out blow? Yeah, right!

Sunny in the Hall Of Fame is awesome.

I have a theory on this.

I believe its possible that they focus on 'a' generation. I started watching in the late 80's early 90's, i was a youngster at the time and lots of my chums were also wrestling fans, because they were aiming it at that generation. Parents who didnt really know about the steroids thing or didnt see the WWF as harmful were happy for us to watch it as it was basically crazy characters running around pretending to hurt each other.

When i was a teen, the attitude era hit, again, my generation (and a lot of yours) were now teens and got a kick out of swearing and tits, its fair enough, WWF may have thought 'lets not lose this generation of viewers because they in fairness have made us what we are'.

Eventually, they ended up losing some of that generation, late teens/early 20's... people move on, some of us dont, but you know, a lot of these young adults put wrestling behind them. WWE may have thought, 'right lets start again.. lets aim it at the kids and grow up with them'.

If this is the case (which i believe loosely, it could be) then maybe the generation they have been aiming at for the last 4 or 5 years are hitting that teenage 'attitude' part of life, WWE could simply be targeting those people, much like they did with us.

I could quite easily be very wrong, but it seems quite believable.

• Moderators

I don't think you're wrong with that idea of the lifecycle they're following but I think it's a bit too soon for their PG audience to be growing up already.

I think they're still targetting a younger market, but they know that they have to do something for the older fans as well in the run up to 'Mania.

A pretty enjoyable show on the whole. The Austin/JBL/Cole stuff was obviously the highlight.

It is still rather worrying though that so much focus and so much of the better stuff is coming from the old crowd...

Rock

Austin

Triple H

Taker

Michaels

Or non-wrestlers cutting better promo's and getting better heat than the actual wrestlers, with Cole and JBL.

It is weird how suddenly 'ass' and 'bitch' seem to be OK, as well as hyping up a show (Jersey Shore) that seems to be entirely about getting drunk and fucking stupid people. Who exactly are their target audience these days???

Cena promo was painful to listen too. Just really, really bad and un-funny. Knock-out blow? Yeah, right!

Sunny in the Hall Of Fame is awesome.

I have a theory on this.

I believe its possible that they focus on 'a' generation. I started watching in the late 80's early 90's, i was a youngster at the time and lots of my chums were also wrestling fans, because they were aiming it at that generation. Parents who didnt really know about the steroids thing or didnt see the WWF as harmful were happy for us to watch it as it was basically crazy characters running around pretending to hurt each other.

When i was a teen, the attitude era hit, again, my generation (and a lot of yours) were now teens and got a kick out of swearing and tits, its fair enough, WWF may have thought 'lets not lose this generation of viewers because they in fairness have made us what we are'.

Eventually, they ended up losing some of that generation, late teens/early 20's... people move on, some of us dont, but you know, a lot of these young adults put wrestling behind them. WWE may have thought, 'right lets start again.. lets aim it at the kids and grow up with them'.

If this is the case (which i believe loosely, it could be) then maybe the generation they have been aiming at for the last 4 or 5 years are hitting that teenage 'attitude' part of life, WWE could simply be targeting those people, much like they did with us.

I could quite easily be very wrong, but it seems quite believable.

The idea of 'catching' another group of fans and then taking them through the same cycle has certainly been brought up before, but as you said, we won't know if that is their plan until it actually happens.

There still seems to be some weird choices though, I mentioned the extra level of foul language they suddenly seem OK with and the pushing of Jersey Shore, but also with their sponsorship; they have been advertising Killzone 3 for the last month, a game that is rated for Adults only.

It just seems odd that they suddenly seem to be relaxing on a few things. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, just wondering if this IS a sign of things to come, or if they are simply trying to branch out just a little bit to reach more people (without going all 'Attitude' and putting off their current, child-friendly sponsors).

In three weeks they have gone from frantically trying to bleep out 'Ass' from Rock's promo, to letting a few people say that and bitch a bunch of times, without a bleep in sight!

• Paid Members
I don't think you're wrong with that idea of the lifecycle they're following but I think it's a bit too soon for their PG audience to be growing up already.

I think they're still targetting a younger market, but they know that they have to do something for the older fans as well in the run up to 'Mania.

Quite probably chest.

You never know though, their 'bitching' this and 'assing' that at the moment, next year they could step it up to 'ho' whilst implying that someone is a 'retard', the year after 'slut' with a hint of racism, the year after Tatanka comes back and calls Vicky a 'fucking cunt mong'.

"WWE - helping kids in to adulthood since 1990"

But yeah, we'll see what happens after Mania, its probs just a case of pandering to the older 'attitude' audience seeing as Rock and Austin are on board and they need the viewers for Mania.

And yeah, i know exactly what your getting at Eddie, strangely enough, after watching this weeks Raw and a few snips from the last couple of weeks, im slightly more interested in watching future Raw.. hopefully they can carry on down this route. Im not saying 'bring back attitude' blah blah, but im happy to see it being turned up a bit.

Quite probably chest.

You never know though, their 'bitching' this and 'assing' that at the moment, next year they could step it up to 'ho' whilst implying that someone is a 'retard', the year after 'slut' with a hint of racism, the year after Tatanka comes back and calls Vicky a 'fucking cunt mong'.

"WWE - helping kids in to adulthood since 1990"

But yeah, we'll see what happens after Mania, its probs just a case of pandering to the older 'attitude' audience seeing as Rock and Austin are on board and they need the viewers for Mania.

And yeah, i know exactly what your getting at Eddie, strangely enough, after watching this weeks Raw and a few snips from the last couple of weeks, im slightly more interested in watching future Raw.. hopefully they can carry on down this route. Im not saying 'bring back attitude' blah blah, but im happy to see it being turned up a bit.

I agree with this, though on the whole I do tend to lean more towards Chest's angle on reaching out to the Attitude era fans.

They seem to look to the older, lapsed fans for the extra buys for Mania each year now, and I have a feeling the more relaxed attitude over the last few weeks has a lot to do with the fact that the two top stars of the Atttitude era are featuring heavily in the hype for this year's card. The fans they're reaching out to with Rock and Austin are going to notice something as conspicuous as not letting Austin do his middle finger taunt or beer bath, or Rocky say words like 'ass' and 'piss'. Similarly, they're taking the reigns off Cena a bit in the meantime because they don't want him to seem even more lame and neutered in comparison to the stars of the past.

Again, though, I want to believe it's a sign of the product growing up a bit with its audience. It's also worth noting that one of their top babyfaces is going around kicking people in the head and deliberately injuring them, so maybe they are moving away from the one-dimensional 'goodies and baddies' we've seen the last several years.

I have not seen RAW yet but im guessing, we see the usual boring repitition of :

1) Steve Austin walks up to *insert bad guy here*

2) Talks a little, repeating the same crap catchphrases

3) Maybe puts in a quick punch

4) Does a Stunner

5) Poors Beer onto his face, only ingesting about 0.06 fl oz

6) Leaves

Seriously, im bored of him now... punch kick stunner..... YAWN.

I don't know why people who have views like this on wrestling continue to watch it. I'm not saying that everybody should like every bit of a wrestling show, but bashing the return of one of the all time greats in what was on the whole a hugely entertaining segment is ridiculous. If you're wanting to see Steve Austin breaking down barriers and setting the wrestling word on fire, then there's no shortage of footage floating about on the internet.

Or is it just easier to not bother to watch wrestling and just say that you're bored of a guy who we've not seen in fuck knows how long?

Archived