Profession/Job

Shit Poster

does anyone hear actually have a career that they've focussed on and always dreamt of doing?

Yes and no. I never had a dream profession but I always wanted to be my own boss, doing a job I enjoy, and to this end I have succeeded.

However, when something you enjoy becomes your primary source of income it does take the fun out of it. Creativity is replaced by profitability. In my case, I could work on a really fun, interactive website with lots of Flash gimmickry, or in the same time I could churn out 10 run of the mill, corporate, samey websites for just as much money if not more. The appeal of my job to begin with was that I enjoyed the creative aspect of it. However, now I do my job because I'm good and efficient at it, and because I make far more money and have better perks working for myself than for someone else, not because I enjoy the job.

I guess what I'm getting at is that turning a hobby or a sideline into a business is not always for the best thing if you want that hobby to remain interesting to you.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
does anyone hear actually have a career that they've focussed on and always dreamt of doing?

Half and half for me.

I always dreamt of being an astronaut or Peter Schmeichel when I was growing up, but neither of those were ever likely to happen. I've only realised what I want to do with my life in the last 18 months.

I took a basement level finance job and within 18 months was promoted to finance manager. In that 18 months I was able to see the various roles that were undertook in the company and I found QSing to be the most exciting, varied and well paid. I made some enquiries and based on my reputation from the last 18 months was able to bag an assistants role. In this role i've learnt so much and due to the shortage of competant, qualified QS's, i've got the chance to enjoy a great career. I'm focussed on that and I love my job.

Freaky, that's an awesome story. Kudos to you for living the dream.

• Paid Members

My main job is a Cad/Cam programmer for a overhead conveyors and bearings company. I have loads engineering qualifications which helped me get the job, I get in a few hours before everyone else test the 12 machines and do any kinda maintenance which needs doing. I then input the program in each machine for what ever item they are going to be producing that day, I have to just quality test the machined item ever so many and make any adjustments to the machine needed. Its a ok job pays very well and if I do everything right in the morning then I spend most of the day sitting in the office waiting for the new company apprentice to do something wrong and try and destroy 1 of the machines. I got my hours cut a year ago from 40+ to 30 which actually works out better. I get in do my job and almost clock watch on most days. Thing is there is never a week when somebody don't do something wrong and as soon as I work longer then 30 hours, I get overtime pay which gets taxed to fuck because of having another job.

My other job is 4 nights a week and every other week for close family friend, I work in a kennel which has load of border pets Dogs and Cats mostly. But the owners of the kennel also breed Bengal Cats and Lhasa Apso dogs, My job is to just sit around and make sure the animals are ok. But when there is a birth late at night it can get interesting. To be fair its amazing as it very quiet and I spend all day on the net or playing 360.

Me and my wife also own 3 flats that we rent out. 2 are renting to friends so there is never any problem's, but the other 1 is pain in the ass sometimes.

• Paid Members

I work in a factory/drive forklift truck etc. Not exactly an enjoyable or glamorous job but it keeps me out of debt and I'm working with mates so it's not all bad. I've worked on building sites in the past too but it was fucking my back up something rotten.

I've also had office jobs but to be honest they bored the fuck out of me. No offence to anyone who works in an office, them jobs are important too but I wanted to top myself after a few months. It didn't help that my boss was almost exactly like David Brent.

I'm thinking of trying to get into plumbing/pipe fitting cause the money's better than my current job. Not exactly the dream job messing with people's bogs but that's what I get for pissing about at school :/

It seemed like a right laugh at the time, wagging school, smoking weed at dinner and fingering the class slag instead of doing my coursework but I really regret not at least trying a bit harder at school. Or at least showing up more often.

• Moderators

What I do speaks for itself really. I do the day to day management of these forums!

A typical day involves reading angry PM's, approving new accounts, making up new rules and generally keeping the forums mad chill. It's alright, the pay aint nothing to write home about (15% skimmed off of all paid member donations) but good enough seeing as I still live with my mother.

• Paid Members
What I do speaks for itself really. I do the day to day management of these forums!

A typical day involves reading angry PM's, approving new accounts, making up new rules and generally keeping the forums mad chill. It's alright, the pay aint nothing to write home about (15% skimmed off of all paid member donations) but good enough seeing as I still live with my mother.

Lies.

I know it seems strange to say but does anyone think that there's a huge link between how you did in school and your later career? Now before I get heckled, let me explain.

I've never been asked about my GCSE's and probably got my job through busting my balls, having an outgoing personality and a bit of flair. I know plenty of people who did fuck all at school and whilst not living the dream, earn decent money in ok jobs.

I understand that if you want a specific or high flying job then qualifications, degrees etc. have to come into play but at the same time if you're dull as dishwater alot of the time that goes against yoiu.

To be honest I'm glad that I didn't try harder at school. I had a laugh, fucked about (I remember one night my mum saying to me 't on with your homework, you'll never get anywhere reading stupid Wrestling magazines' as I was reading all about KOTR 1994.Well f**k you mum!) and ended up with a pretty fab job and got to enjoy my early teenage years.

All the people of Libya love me! They are marching in support of me! I have no authority, I'm just like the Queen.

We all know you make millions selling our wrestling scoops to internet dirtsheets. Meltzer sometimes prints Supremo's opinions practically verbatim.

Archived