Profession/Job

Shit Poster

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm an ecommerce manager for a DVD/Blu-ray publisher - it's a job that didn't exist when I was at school so no, it's not my dream job. It's a job I enjoy though and I get to choose Tagged Classics combinations.

Can't remember ever having a dream job. As I got older I wanted to work in marketing, which I do now part of the time. Though back when those thoughts first materialised I seem to remember having aspirations to work at Saatchi & Saatchi.

• Paid Members
I'm an ecommerce manager for a DVD/Blu-ray publisher - it's a job that didn't exist when I was at school so no, it's not my dream job. It's a job I enjoy though and I get to choose Tagged Classics combinations.

Can't remember ever having a dream job. As I got older I wanted to work in marketing, which I do now part of the time. Though back when those thoughts first materialised I seem to remember having aspirations to work at Saatchi & Saatchi.

Your name was mentioned in the 'Missing people' thread and someone went on to say you now worked for Silvervision.

Congrats!

Me, I'm a lowly advisor for HM Revenue and Customs. Dealing with PAYE and Self Assessment tax.

It's as good as it sounds. :(

• Paid Members
I'm a software developer. It's tedious and I hate it but I couldn't earn the same money doing anything else so I'm stuck with it.

Swanky. What languages/platforms?

It's a .net product, VB mostly, bit of c#. Plenty of SQL thrown in. Alternate between support desk and development. I was never interested in IT, I just kinda fell into it.

• Paid Members

I'm an Academic Delivery Planner for a well known University. Basically involves Resource and system management.

Not a dream job at all but it's a reasonable salary. However applying for a new job this week in University Partner Relations.

My dream job is "Charlie Sheen".

does anyone hear actually have a career that they've focussed on and always dreamt of doing?

Not my 'dream job' as such, but out of the realistic options that began to present themselves once I realised I was shit at football, it's one of the better ones. I'm a pretty sociable and creative person and hate the idea of being stuck in an office with the same group of people for several years of my working life. I'm not settled with a lass or kids so having a fulfilling job is a pretty big priority for me, and I find lecturing gives me an opportunity to meet new people every semester (the fact that a lot of them are fit 18-21 year old girls doesn't suck) and exercise my creative/gobshite side. The only problem is it takes ages and a lot of hoop-jumping to get a permanent contract, but once you do the pay is pretty decent too.

I know it seems strange to say but does anyone think that there's a huge link between how you did in school and your later career? Now before I get heckled, let me explain.

I've never been asked about my GCSE's and probably got my job through busting my balls, having an outgoing personality and a bit of flair. I know plenty of people who did fuck all at school and whilst not living the dream, earn decent money in ok jobs.

I understand that if you want a specific or high flying job then qualifications, degrees etc. have to come into play but at the same time if you're dull as dishwater alot of the time that goes against yoiu.

To be honest I'm glad that I didn't try harder at school. I had a laugh, fucked about (I remember one night my mum saying to me 't on with your homework, you'll never get anywhere reading stupid Wrestling magazines' as I was reading all about KOTR 1994.Well f**k you mum!) and ended up with a pretty fab job and got to enjoy my early teenage years.

I can see you're reasoning, but it's very dependent on being in the right place at the right time and getting a few lucky breaks. On the one hand getting experience of work straight from leaving school can allow you to steal a march on those who go on to further education, particularly with regard to staying clear of debt, but on the other a lot of jobs (not necessarily 'high-flying' ones either) now see a degree as an entry-level requirement. I'm thinking pretty much any sort of white-collar work these days.

I personally fucking hated school, but would just put that down to the nature of the place rather than because I didn't spend enough time fucking about. Of course it's possible to luck or blag your way into a decent living after pissing about at school if you have enough drive and ambition (tortoise and the hare and all that), but for the most part it makes it far harder. I think the phrase 'school days are the best days of your life' generally only applies to the people who arsed about for 5 years and got stuck in the resultant rut afterwards.

Currently an account manager for a national pub chain - I work closely with their Marketing and Design teams.

In terms of doing what you always saw yourself doing, I was in the police for 3 years but decided that it wasn't what I wanted to do for 30 years, despite being able to retire at 51 with a humungous pension!

I will join the fire service at some point, but it seems that recruitment has been on hold for a few years now.

• Paid Members

I work in aviation.

:cool:

Not really.

does anyone hear actually have a career that they've focussed on and always dreamt of doing?

Yes. From a very young age I wanted to do something creative. At first I thought it was writing and focused mainly on journalism then realised I had more of a talent for design so I went down that road instead. Did a degree in journalism but concentrated on editing and design rather than writing. Took my 4 and a half years to get into the industry but I'm now an editor/graphic designer. I quit my last job with nothing to go to as I hated it so much and was lucky enough to get a temping job as a sub-editor after just over a month. 2 and a half years later and I was taken on permanently, had 4 promotions since then and am now a senior manager running the editorial team. It's not exactly the subject matter I dreamed off but it doesn't matter because I love what I do which is basically to make things look pretty. I've even won awards within the company for my design skills.

So yeah, I guess I have a career I've always focused on although my next goal is to sort out the subject matter.

Archived