Profession/Job

Shit Poster

I'm acting as Assistant Manager in an out of school care project at the minute having been with the project since I was 16 and I'm 26 now. Hoping to get the job permanently, given that I've effectively been doing it for 3 years now and I put most of our active policies and procedures in place.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

does anyone hear actually have a career that they've focussed on and always dreamt of doing?

ive always seen work as just a job, i've never taken anything seriously and always seen it as a way to get some cash. I kind of regret it because sometimes i wish i'd focussed on something i really like, but ive found that the things im passionate about now are pretty different to what i was passionate about back in school so chances are i would have regretting my decisions anyway...ive always been a bit of a drifter, still am. I'vehad oppurtunity to progress in the job i have but because it's not something i really want to do ive never had the drive to actually commit to it.

Anyone else find themselves in this boat?

I am in a 'planned' career, i love what i do and essentially, it was planned, just not particularly well (i decided what i want to do when i was in university and wasn't doing the best degree course for it) but i was determined and lucky, and was doing the job i wanted within 9 months of leaving university. I did a degree in sociology but wanted to be a youth worker, it was roughly related, i managed to get a job where they there willing to put me in the correct training, once i had done that, i stayed there for another 2 years and managed my service but i worked for a charity and the pay was crap so i left and got a job as a Connexion worker in a high school (which was exactly the area of youth work i wanted to get in to in university, i used to walk past the connexion centre on my way to university and think i want to work there).

I love my job, and really enjoy going to work everyday. Saying that, what i want to do has evolved some what, i since working in a school, teaching has become increasingly appealing, i think in the next few years i will do my PGCE and become a teacher, but right now i enjoy what i do too much

• Paid Members

props to you.

i've just always been someone who just doesn't know what he wants to do, ive always been someone that's focussed more on his social life than his professional life. I like lack of responsibilty...I guess you should try and find the perfect balance and focus on both, but ive always swayed down the social path...the reason i never continued on to Uni. was because i knew in my head that i wouldn't get the work done, bit of a slacker is Ebb.

• Paid Members
does anyone hear actually have a career that they've focussed on and always dreamt of doing?

ive always seen work as just a job, i've never taken anything seriously and always seen it as a way to get some cash. I kind of regret it because sometimes i wish i'd focussed on something i really like, but ive found that the things im passionate about now are pretty different to what i was passionate about back in school so chances are i would have regretting my decisions anyway...ive always been a bit of a drifter, still am. I'vehad oppurtunity to progress in the job i have but because it's not something i really want to do ive never had the drive to actually commit to it.

Anyone else find themselves in this boat?

Yes, to an extent.

I sort of wound up working in procurement through internal transfers in a large company. I never wanted to do it & tbh it pretty much bores me stupid. I took redundancy last year (which has paid for my wedding) & found another buyers job, 20 minutes down the road within a few weeks of finishing at my last place. I'm competent at my job but I've no passion or enthusiasm for staring at & updating spreadsheets all day.

5 years ago myself & a mate started promoting stand-up comedy & since then we've moved to a couple of different venues & are now running at a 300 seater room. This is a council owned venue & we've recently been offered 2 more venues, also ran by the council. Given the current cut-backs I get the impression that the local authority are looking for us to put on shows, take the financial risk (and reward!) whilst they trade off the bar & are still seen as putting on entertainment in the borough. Currently comedy pays my mortgage but I'd like to think that in a couple of years it could be at a level to be my full time job. With me getting married & probably starting a family soon after I can see me being less likely to take the big jump of leaving a decent paid job to go off on my own.

• Moderators

If it's any consolation Ebb, I look at it this way: The things I enjoy doing I enjoy doing with complete autonomy. Even the times at which I've studied things I enjoy it just makes me like them less. I've kinda come to the conclusion that working in a job that I enjoy at times and can provide a decent mental stimulus and wage, and still leaves me with enough free time to enjoy my hobbies as hobbies is not a bad situation.

• Paid Members

yeh, like i said it's kind of a middle ground you need to find yourself in.

another thing with me is, ive always had everything so comfortable, ive worked full time since i was 18ish, so being single for the majority of that time and living at home i had plenty of money...now im renting a place that's dirt cheap with my girlfriend, between us we earn enough money to get by quite easily. I think that level of comfort has kind of killed my drive to better myself as well. It's kinda sad to say that.

• Paid Members

Luckily I am. Half-way through secondary school when the Internet was becoming really big I was enamoured by websites and wanted to be the person who made those dazzling pages millions of people across the world could read. Got myself a book on HTML from the school's library and that set me off.

I went on to do e-Media at college, but made sure my work was focused on web design. Got a distinction for that module, but dropped out in second year when I got hired by a web design agency in Newcastle. Been from Darlington, I felt as though I had hit the jackpot. Since expanded my skill-set and now focused on PHP development. I didn't originally want to be a PHP developer, but my aspirations changed as I grew to know more about the industry, and right now I wouldn't want to be doing anything else. If the Internet was disbanded tomorrow, I really would cry.

Yes. I dreamt of being a broadcast journalist since I heard Bobby Heenan use the term.

I've been involved in radio news for the last 9 years after completing a Broadcast Journalism degree. I was made redundant from Leicester Sound at Christmas when it merged into a regional Capital station, but I got my old job back in Wolverhampton, which worked out pretty well for me - even got a payoff of a few grand, which was gratefully received.

• Paid Members

Yes. I dreamt of being a broadcast journalist since I heard Bobby Heenan use the term.

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

I'm serious. At that careers day you have when you're in the final year of primary school, they asked me what I wanted to be, and I had been thumbing through WWF Magazine that day. They then told me what I needed to study to reach that goal, and I realised it was pretty attainable, so here I am.

Archived