Monday Night Raw: 21/2/2011 Discussion *Includes Spoilers*

Gooner

There's no need to get all butthurt about it.

I want to see watchable matches and well written feuds that actually make sense. I know that's a bit much to expect from professional wrestling in 2011 but that's what my demands are as a fan.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought the Triple H/Undertaker segment was cringeworthy and have absolutely zero interest in seeing a match between them at WrestleMania, which is a pity because I am a big fan of both (anyone who knows me knows I am one of the biggest 'Taker marks around). I will still buy Mania regardless and I know I do not speak for the entire fanbase, and I am sure it will be a solid match on the big show, but it has zero appeal or aura to me. The segment was silly and I think even the most blinkered fan knew that.

The segment was worth it for the sight of seeing Triple H do the Broony.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Too fucking right. I am willing to bet that Triple H, and maybe even The Undertaker, just can't get enough.

I thought it was tremendous.

HHH / Taker hasn't been done for a while, and I'm pretty pumped for it despite neither of them uttering a single word. How many other lads on the roster could have sparked so much discussion/excitement by doing this? Throat cutting and crotch chop = money.

I'm quite pleased that it was the halfway point of the show too - it seems that Cena/Miz will be the Raw Main Event (and so it should be), although I imagine that the closing image of Wrestlemania will be The Rock holding aloft Cena's arms in victory.

• Paid Members

I'm not butthurt. But thanks for your concern.

Triple H v The Undertaker has only just started, are you saying its not well written already? Vito, i think you should probably skip Wrestlemania, cause whether you like it or not, the two title matches are going to feature 2 old guys (Cena and Edge) and Del Rio, while the main event is going to be Triple H v The Undertaker.

This Vito is a cynical spanner. Stop watching wrestling and stop coming on here if your demands are "a bit too much for professional wrestling in 2011". We'll all enjoy what's looking to be a good Wrestlemania.

What the fuck is the flaw in "the crowd cheered so it's good"? I don't care whether it meets your expectations, whether it's artistically perceived as a great promo or not - if the people are indicating they want to see it with large reactions, it's more than likely going to serve some good business for Wrestlemania. You're an idiot.

Thing is, I can see Vito's point about elevating new stars. I can.

But, a pro-wrestling company can't just continue doing that ad infinitum without eventually just sitting back and taking advantage of the star status they have achieved. So, whilst it'd be nice for 'Taker to be giving the rub to Barrett and Trips to be giving the rub to Sheamus, the WWE are taking the steady road of just cashing in on the star status of they're two biggest assets at a time of the year where i'd say they were entitled to do so.

Plus, if the WWE had really ran with a card of Miz/Cena, Del Rio/Edge, Punk/Orton, Trips/Sheamus and 'Taker/Barrett all in the name of elevating new stars, they'd have been shat all over for not having a main event.

• Paid Members

Except for the fact that your opinion on this one is utterly ridiculous.

They came out there and successfully told a story without ever saying a word. Which just shows how good they both are as performers, and I'm not even the biggest Undertaker fan. I've been bored of his shit for years, however the fact that he and HHH got that segment over by merely staring at each other, then at the sign, a bit of head shaking, and then some sign language (so to speak) was immense.

The whole show was brilliant, in fact the only point I had issue with was Miz costing him and Cena the tag titles. That made absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. Surely the WWE champion should still want more gold (well, bronze) around his waist? Flatten Cena after he's pinned Slater to send a message, you keep the tag titles then. Just made him look an idiot to have taken such a kicking and then just handed the titles back to The Corre.

Except for the fact that your opinion on this one is utterly ridiculous.

They came out there and successfully told a story without ever saying a word. Which just shows how good they both are as performers, and I'm not even the biggest Undertaker fan. I've been bored of his shit for years, however the fact that he and HHH got that segment over by merely staring at each other, then at the sign, a bit of head shaking, and then some sign language (so to speak) was immense.

The whole show was brilliant, in fact the only point I had issue with was Miz costing him and Cena the tag titles. That made absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. Surely the WWE champion should still want more gold (well, bronze) around his waist? Flatten Cena after he's pinned Slater to send a message, you keep the tag titles then. Just made him look an idiot to have taken such a kicking and then just handed the titles back to The Corre.

See I would have understood why Miz cost them the titles, I wouldnt want to be tag champs with someone I hated either, but if Miz was going to just attack Cena, then why did they first of all win the tag titles? So Miz won the titles, then in the rematch decided, actually fuck it, i'll cost us them now. Made no sense after co existing and winning for the turn to come then. Just dont do the switch at all.

• Paid Members
Thing is, I can see Vito's point about elevating new stars. I can.

But, a pro-wrestling company can't just continue doing that ad infinitum without eventually just sitting back and taking advantage of the star status they have achieved. So, whilst it'd be nice for 'Taker to be giving the rub to Barrett and Trips to be giving the rub to Sheamus, the WWE are taking the steady road of just cashing in on the star status of they're two biggest assets at a time of the year where i'd say they were entitled to do so.

Plus, if the WWE had really ran with a card of Miz/Cena, Del Rio/Edge, Punk/Orton, Trips/Sheamus and 'Taker/Barrett all in the name of elevating new stars, they'd have been shat all over for not having a main event.

Of course there is sense in elevating new stars, but WWE is already doing that. The two title matches on the biggest show of the year are going to have two new faces, one of which Vito is pissy about anyway. I reckon WWE are taking the right approach to this years Mania. They have The Rock back on the show, they have Triple H v The Undertaker as (probably) their main event, with the possibility of some HBK involvement. With Tough Enough around the corner, I wouldnt be surprised to see some sort of involvement from Stone Cold too. So that would hopefully be enough to get some of the casual fanbase to buy the show, and then hopefully they can get them hooked and get them to come back with some of the newer stars shining. Miz, JoMo, Del Rio, Barrett, Nexus/Corre, Daniel Bryan etc are all new faces or vastly superior to where their were this time last year, that there is plenty of new blood coming through throughout the card on Mania this year. The only one who seems to have gone down from this time last year is Sheamus.

They are pushing plenty of new stars, more so in this past year in one go than any year I can think of for the last decade or so.

Also, as a side topic, what consititues old guard these days anyway? Is Cena old guard? Punk has been around WWE for what? 5 years now? Is that old? Should they stop pushing him now and push someone new?

Except my opinion isn't ridiculous. A year ago, or whatever, Sheamus took away Hunters livelihood, a man with a young child had his career almost ended by an Irish upstart looking to make a name for himself. After injuring HHH Sheamus spent the next few months bragging on television about what he did while Hunter could do nothing but sit at home and watch. So Hunter waited, healed and trained, he trained and trained, his mind focused on one goal, the goal of coming back to the WWE and finally getting revenge...

...on Undertaker for retiring Shawn Michaels.

How on Earth can anyone explain or defend this? And how about Undertaker, he was actually killed by the Wade Barrett led Nexus. Wade Barrett assisted in the Undertakers murder yet Undertaker is inexplicably more interested fighting Hunter than getting revenge on Nexus, Barrett or even Kane.

Let's put aside buyrates and pops for a moment and try to explain why HHH and Undertaker would fight each other at Wrestlemania when they have way more important things to be doing.

• Paid Members

Wanting them to book a card full of established guys vs. new guys in the hope of giving people the rub and creating new stars would be a lovely idea, if the previous twelve months hadn't proven without a shadow of a doubt that, for whatever reason, they're completely incapable of doing it. The Miz isn't over, he's a chump that only beats lesser chumps. Sheamus isn't over, he's a knobhead dressed like a twat. And as for Wade, he's completely vanished into obscurity on a show that nobody watches.

Putting all of these losers in main event slots on the Wrestlemania card won't magically change any of this, it'll just make the buyrate even more embarassing than it's likely going to be anyway. Anyone with any sense would recognise that this experiment of making new guys has completely failed this year, and as such would book Triple H vs. Taker in order to salvage whatever they can out of Wrestlemania, then start a fresh and try again in the post-mania season. Wrestlemania isn't the time to be experimenting, it's the time for trying to make the most money out of the biggest show of the year. Wade fucking Barrett vs. The Undertaker isn't going to make a penny.

Plus, that segment fucking ruled.

• Paid Members
Let's put aside buyrates and pops for a moment and try to explain why HHH and Undertaker would fight each other at Wrestlemania when they have way more important things to be doing.

There is something more important than ending The Undertaker's streak? Absolute bollocks!

And who says The Undertaker wasn't coming back for revenge on Nexus? Whatever he was coming back for was interputed by Triple H.

You only get one chance a year to end the streak so there is no lack of logic at all. Everything else should drop into place. You need to give them more than one show to decide that it's all wrong.

Yeah, WWE are on the up I think. They're by no means excellent but I think they're in a better position than they've been in years before. Like Legend Killer says, it'd be silly to try elevate everyone at once. It's better to have one or two that are going to be very over than a load that are going to be quite over.

I'd imagine Stone Cold will be there in some capacity. He's on the Wrestlemania video advert.

I can't imagine the first tag title win was a mistake. Miz's music was played almost instantly after winning. It did seem odd but we'll have to wait until the following weeks to see if there was a reason for it.

Archived