Monday Night Raw: 21/2/2011 Discussion *Includes Spoilers*

Gooner

• Paid Members
That was embarrassing for everyone involved.

How was it embarrassing? Two of the great WWE superstars come out and have a staredown with a hint towards a little bit of revenge for one of thier friends.

They didn't say a word people were still cheering like mad. Triple H got a bigger pop. The Rock got a massive pop last week much bigger than both why? Oh because he was away for 7 long years. Taker has been away what 6 Months max Triple H has been away 9 Months or something like that. Only person who is going to get a bigger pop than The Rock is Stone Cold.

Also having not said a word it will make more people tune in to next week knowing both Taker and Triple H will be there and talk so was probably a good move.

I thought the segment with Taker and Trips was good. It just show's how much people bitch. Everyone not so long ago moaning about the lack of star quality on Mania and now its oh its going to be awful.

Crowd was popping like a frenzy and neither man said a word through the entire segment!

Really I thought TripleH's pop was weak, I think Taker should have started talking then Trip comes out, not just walk out right behind him, daft that was imo.

It got better with the staredown, but still weak compared to the Rock, not sure how a feel about this, defently better than Trips vs Sheamus or Taker vs Wade, Sheamus push must be over.

The Rock out for 7 long years

Triple H out for 9 short months.

I still thought the Triple H pop was very good. I was more excited to see him back than The Rock. If The Rock came back and was wrestling I would probably have a whole lot more interest in him.

That was embarrassing for everyone involved.

Was it fuck!

It was fucking stupid and embarrassing to watch.

Who wants to see Undertaker and Hunter just stroll in and plod their way through what will inevitably be a boring match? I don't have a problem with 'Taker or Trips being at Mania, but why not have them elevating some talent instead of hogging the limelight?

Mystic Vito already predicting a boring match. They have not sqaured off against each other in ages. They are two massive stars that have entertained millions of fans worldwide for years yet because Vito says so it will be boring. Yeah because its done to death like Orton vs Cena or Triple H vs Cena/Orton that sort of type of match. Oh wait no it is not they have not faced each other is ages and it will probably play out as a revenge match. How exactly is that going to be boring?

Can anyone honestly say that they've missed HHH or Undertaker? I've only started enjoying Raw since they began pushing younger guys like Miz and Punk. I know it's Wrestlemania and 'Taker has to be on the card but I have absolutely no interest in seeing Hunter and 'Taker wasting valuable TV time for the next month hyping up a match which is more than likely going to be shit anyway. At this point I'm far more interested in King and Cole than anything Undertaker's involved in.

I have not missed them as such but seeing them back is great and can only add to Wrestlemania. While they have been gone we have been spoiled with great angles and stroylines like Nexus etc.

On Raw as a whole i thought it was good. Some good build up after the chamber people on here were saying Miz has not been built up enough.

He has beaten Randy Orton, Taken out a legend, Defeated JM in a first great match of the year, Beaten Daniels in a really good match oh and Won the tag team titles before shitting over Cena. Yeah so how else would you like to build a guy up. Miz vs Corre and Nexus in a 8 on 1 handicap match Miz going over clean not really going to happen.

I call it now Miz will retain at Wrestlemania thus cementing him as Main event long stay.

Also will somebody please sack Mark Henry he is fat boring and useless i have no interest in him what so ever.

The only match i am not really stoked about going into Mania is Orton vs Punk. Orton has gone from oh no not another head lock to oh no not another clothesline. He has just become really bland and he will never be Stone Cold just turn him heel and let him boot people in the head makes him interesting at least.

Cena's rap showing he has still got it he could of been a bit harsher but he got his message across. What about The Rock screwing Cena out of the title at Wrestlemania could be a possibilty.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was really good.

I can do without the "ooh! you're gay!" stuff generally, but Cena's promo was, as someone said, sufficiently edgy enough to keep things spicy with The Rock. And the Miz's promo and the booking of the tag-team match(es) - as bad as it may have been for The Corre - did everything it was supposed to: the Miz/Cena, Miz/Rock and Cena/Rock feuds are all just cranked up a little more, and that has to be the point.

I'm another who's shocked by the cynicism here regarding the HHH/Taker segment. For a start, why on Earth would anyone be disappointed that it wasn't Sting? Even if do you still want to see the guy, the promos were abundantly clear that it was The Undertaker and so any disappointment should have been nicely tucked away weeks ago. Secondly, regarding the promo itself, I got a kick out of it. How many Superstars are there who could go out and cut a very complete promo, creating and advancing a story, without ever saying a word? No, it wasn't the best thing you'll ever see, but it spoke really well of the cache these guys have and ultimately it was only a prologue to what will become a proper feud in the coming weeks. Am I excited about seeing HHH/Taker? Well, maybe "excited" isn't the word, but as someone said, seeing Wade Barrett or Sheamus wouldn't have been any better. And if the rumoured Career vs. Streak II stipulation comes up, then I'll be much happier. I feel like I've seen enough of HHH, to be honest, and a farewell match with The Undertaker at 'Mania a year after his best friend was retired feels like a good way to go out.

CM Punk is doing great work at the moment, but WWE need to continue minimising Randy's presence to keep him over. He's so dull as a face that I can only handle him in little bursts like this. Let Punk continue to do it all and I think I'll actually be excited come 'Mania; let Randy snore it up in too many promos or matches over the next six weeks and I'll lose interest.

Michael Cole...wow. I've got to admit I'm kind of over the outrage people feel when a real-life death is used to garner heat. I mean, who cares? If Lawler wasn't okay with it, they wouldn't do it. The guy has been around the business forever, it's nothing new and it bloody well worked brilliantly. Michael Cole was fantastic, so was Lawler and it's about as good a jumping-off point for a match as I've seen in ages. I can't wait to see how it develops.

Sheamus' loss wasn't the end of the world. I was actually thinking earlier in Raw "who would be a good opponent for Daniel Bryan at 'Mania?" and I decided to myself Sheamus would be brilliant. Yes, it may seem like a step down into mid-card, but 'Mania is just like that: there are the title fights, the Taker match and then everything else. Just being on it is good, and if he does get onto it with Daniel Bryan, I think you can be fairly assured that he'll be in one of the better matches of the evening. The thing is...I think DB should go over him too. Sheamus already has a couple of memorable DB beatdowns under his belt, so a Daniel Bryan David/Goliath US Title match could be interesting, but the natural ending is surely DB to eke it out for the big win. That said, whatever happened, I'm sure it'd be a good match either way. Or alternatively, both guys in the MITB match could be fine too. Honestly, I think Sheamus is well served whatever happens. Not making it into one of the three biggest matches in all of wrestling is hardly reason to hang it all up. The guy will be just fine.

Triple H and Undertaker was absolutely fine last night. It created a buzz, left a lot of questions unanswered, and left a lot of scope to develop and peak in 6 weeks.

The only thing I would say though, as another poster has pointed out, is that both of these guys have more obvious scores to settle upon their immediate return, which need to be acknowledged somehow for us to take a match between the two seriously. Undertaker has revenge to seek against Kane and Barrett/Corre/Nexus, so we need to know why he would be willing to put this to the side to face Triple H first. And for Triple H, he was destroyed by Sheamus, so why is he not going straight after him, and why is he willing to wait for his revenge there? Merely because the Undertaker retired his mate is not enough for me. Unless these issues are addressed first, I must admit that for me it may seem this feud is a little contrived.

It is a difficult one though, because as Rick says above, Triple H vs Sheamus and Barrett vs Undertaker are both important feuds that could a) draw in the barren post-WM months, and b) aid the development of two guys that would benefit tremendously from feuding decisively with a major star. Kane vs Undertaker could maybe be done and dusted in a Smackdown main event as no one ever wants to see that again, but Barrett and Sheamus deserve more consideration and respect. So I see it as very difficult to do all of this justice whilst making the Wrestlemania match between Triple H and Undertaker as believable and meaningful as possible.

I sure hope they pull it off though as this could be another classic.

• Paid Members
I thought everyone was fed up with HHH vs Undertaker!

Yeah cause thats so way over done.

I think I now understand the whole "free pass" system that goes around on the net regarding wrestling. Triple H got no reaction? Where you watching it on mute? The segement was embarrassing? The crowd were popping for them just moving body parts. The crowd popped like nuts when Triple H did the suck it gesture.

The crowd also dont care for Randy Orton, in spite of the really loud Randy chants echoing around the area during his segement.

Yet, Daniel Bryan's acting was apparently just fine and The Miz cut a good promo. Free passes huh? Unbelievable Jeff.

I really hope Triple H ends the streak, just to see the reaction on here.

• Paid Members
I thought everyone was fed up with HHH vs Undertaker!

Yeah cause thats so way over done.

I think I now understand the whole "free pass" system that goes around on the net regarding wrestling. Triple H got no reaction? Where you watching it on mute? The segement was embarrassing? The crowd were popping for them just moving body parts. The crowd popped like nuts when Triple H did the suck it gesture.

The crowd also dont care for Randy Orton, in spite of the really loud Randy chants echoing around the area during his segement.

Yet, Daniel Bryan's acting was apparently just fine and The Miz cut a good promo. Free passes huh? Unbelievable Jeff.

I really hope Triple H ends the streak, just to see the reaction on here.

Spot on, all of it.

I'm still hoping that the "Streak vs career" tagline is just an internet rumour, but if it's true I'll be cheering on HHH, no doubt. I'd rather see the streak end than know I've just watched HHH's last match. Plus, the reactions across the net would be unreal!.

Some of you lot need to get a better tv, or at least stop watching shitty quality streams.

Surely they'll have Triple H settle his score with jobber Sheamus on Raw and have Taker probably obliterate Kane/The Corre/Nexus (minus Punk who has a great escape clause seeing as he wasn't involved in the original attack) on Raw/Smackdown over the next few weeks, at the same time they can continue the build up for their match at WM.

I'm amused by the "the crowd cheered, so it's good" argument regarding Trips and Hunter, let's not forget that the WWE audience routinely pops for Cena and Hornswoggle.

Why is Alboreto Del Rio shitting up Raw every week? I watched the Elimination Chamber PPV with a bunch of guys who hadn't watch WWE in a few years and they took the words right out of my mouth when they turned to me and said words to the effect of "Who is this guy? He's shit." Interestingly I watched Raw with the same group and boy did I have egg on my face when I'd swore to them that the WWE had changed and that it wasn't about guys like HHH and Undertaker stealing the spotlight anymore. Whoops.

Did anyone else think the tag titles wern't supposed to change the first time? Just something about Cena's reaction made me think "this wasn't supposed to happen." I'm guessing a botched finish followed by some quick words down the refs earpiece and a message passed on to Cena along the lines of "just go with it we're fixing it."

Maybe it was supposed to happen just the reactions of certain people there and the fact I can't see why they switched the titles at the PPV only to lose them the next night to get them back less than 10 minutes later in a finish that wouldve had the same effect even if it hadn't cost Cena/Miz the belts.

• Paid Members
I'm amused by the "the crowd cheered, so it's good" argument regarding Trips and Hunter, let's not forget that the WWE audience routinely pops for Cena and Hornswoggle.

Yeah, Hornswoggle is all over my TV right now. Can barely go two minutes without seeing the little fucker. The crowd pops for Cena, Triple H and The Undertaker? Its such a shame that their main eventers are so over, isnt it? What kind of fucking retarded point are you trying to make this time?

I'm amused bt the "Vito didnt like it, so it must be shit" argument.

The crowd cheered (pretty loudly) is a better indication of it being good, than the crowd cheering being an indication of it being an embarrassing segement for all concerned.

Also, you dont want WWE to be focusing on old guys like Triple H and Taker (who were a mid show segement), but also dont want fresh faces like Del Rio on screen either. What do you want? Do you even know?

Only downer for me when it comes to Triple H Vs. The Undertaker is that its been done before but its obviously going to be a bigger draw then Triple H Vs. Sheamus who is now doomed to the mid card where he belongs or watching Undertaker destroy Wade with no one giving a toss because no one is going to take Wade serious as a threat to the streak.

Archived