Monday Night Raw: 21/2/2011 Discussion *Includes Spoilers*

Gooner

• Paid Members
I see even you have forgotten Jack Swaggers glorious run as champ, and what about the rise and fall of Kofi, Ted Jr, Daniel Bryan? really he is in dark matches now, hell I wouldnt be surprised if him vs Sheamus is a dark match at WM.

Thats true, I'd forgotten about Jack Swagger.

What rise and fall of Kofi or Ted? Kofi's star had fallen before Mania last year, when the didnt pull the trigger on his feud with Orton before the Rumble. Ted has been in free fall since Legacy disbanded, no rise and fall there, just a fall. Bryan is still on the up, I mentioned him in my post, so how did I forget him?

Nexus/Corre are shit, they're not even close to what there were last year

Nexus werent even on TV this time last year, what are you on about? I said everyone in that list was either new, or has progressed a lot since last Wrestlemania. So Nexus would come under the "new" bannner. Get it?

The only name you mentioned who imo has had a real good push is Del Rio.

Hardly. Since Mania last year, The Miz has become WWE Champion and is about to defend the title on the biggest show of the year. Is that not a decent push?

JoMo is becoming the new spot monkey

He is still further up the card than he was this time last year.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There can be a way to tie in some of the old Nexus guys - I'd have Triple H "hire" The Corre to back him up in his quest to end Taker's streak, promising Barrett and co rich, rich rewards if they succeed. Since Trips has clout and all. Perhaps The Game can tell the world he ordered the old Nexus to take out Taker so he didn't have to deal with it himself - hence Trips storming to the ring and confronting Taker as soon as he showed up again this week. Finally, if there was a way to work it out, I'd have it revealed during the WrestleMania match that Triple H is the Raw GM, making the odds against Undertaker even more stacked.

Taker still wins though.

What rise and fall of Kofi or Ted? Kofi's star had fallen before Mania last year, when the didnt pull the trigger on his feud with Orton before the Rumble. Ted has been in free fall since Legacy disbanded, no rise and fall there, just a fall. Bryan is still on the up, I mentioned him in my post, so how did I forget him?

Well if you're starting the year at Mania time fair enough, I just took the whole year as I find that more appropriate, you mentioned Bryan? sorry I must have missed that, I still fail to see how he has risen when he has gone to being the most talked about guy (the whole tie thing, feuding with Miz/Cole, wining the USbelt etc) to not having any matches on RAW and appearing on superstars.

Nexus werent even on TV this time last year, what are you on about? I said everyone in that list was either new, or has progressed a lot since last Wrestlemania. So Nexus would come under the "new" bannner. Get it?

Reguardless of whatever time frame you are using, they are still shit, where as their first month was probably the best thing WWE have done in years(with new guys), as many people were saying on here during that time.

Hardly. Since Mania last year, The Miz has become WWE Champion and is about to defend the title on the biggest show of the year. Is that not a decent push?

His push has been very uncovincing, he won the WWE belt yes, if it was 2005 or before that, that might have been enough, but we know what the belts are now, its the star that makes the belt, Del Rio already looks like star by his aura alone, WWE have done a good job on that, I do not feel the same way about Miz, he beat up JoMo and Lawler, got in a bore fest with Orton (not miz's fault) and thats it, for agruements sake he is better off, than where he was last year, I would hope for Miz fans that he does not fall off the map like Swagger and Sheamus.

remember when undertaker first "died" after casket match with yokazuna?? after 13 guys out him in coffin??

first feud back was against .....no one who put him in coffin

oh and remember when triple h first tore his quad......and it was angle he first went against before jericho

its wrestling, its a far better match than the alternatives for the 2, let it go and enjoy it

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed it. Sheamus and Barrett will look like complete chumps if they are fobbed off or ignored. BUT its too early to assume that.

Edit - Having watched all of Raw now, niether Sheamus nor Barrett mention/are scared of the returns. Thats not a good sign.

We need a long promo from Triple H next week (Argh!) laying it all out and tying it up. It looks good so far though and the people were into it.

Was the lightube Taker sign new? It looked like cheap tat. Awful.

but it's a well known fact that HHH and Taker haven't got much time left

Is it really? People have been saying that about Taker for 5-10 years. Triple H certainly wont be leaving anytime soon.

I hope they dont use a retirement stip for their match purely because its so obvious that Triple H wont be able to stick to it. His schedule will become part-time but if he inherits the company with Steph, he'll be doing Vince style matches in his fifties at least!

• Paid Members
Well if you're starting the year at Mania time fair enough, I just took the whole year as I find that more appropriate,

Well even if you take the whole year, or the last 18 months if you like, sure there are people like Kofi, Swagger and Dibiase who have just drifted, but there are loads more who have been pushed, and are higher placed on the card that they were this time last year. So everyones stock hasnt risen, but plenty have.

you mentioned Bryan? sorry I must have missed that, I still fail to see how he has risen when he has gone to being the most talked about guy (the whole tie thing, feuding with Miz/Cole, wining the USbelt etc) to not having any matches on RAW and appearing on superstars.

I think your being tad silly now. How has he risen? This time last year, the masses had no idea who he was. Now he is US Champion, on the flagship show. He has been in a main event match at Summerslam. Has submission victories over the WWE Champion. He went from nobody to somebody in the last 12 months. No everyone gets the Brock Lesnar/Kurt Angle treatment in their first year. He has a lot more exposure and stardom than he did last year, and thats my point, he is one of many new stars who have found a place on the card since the last Mania.

Reguardless of whatever time frame you are using, they are still shit, where as their first month was probably the best thing WWE have done in years(with new guys), as many people were saying on here during that time.

Your opinion on how talented they are is subjective, and not the point. They may be the worst bunch of wrestlers to ever grace the WWE, but it doesnt change the fact that between the Nexus/Corre, there is about a dozen new faces going to be appearing at Wrestlemania this year that werent there last year, which you know, was my point.

His push has been very uncovincing, he won the WWE belt yes, if it was 2005 or before that, that might have been enough, but we know what the belts are now, its the star that makes the belt, Del Rio already looks like star by his aura alone, WWE have done a good job on that, I do not feel the same way about Miz, he beat up JoMo and Lawler, got in a bore fest with Orton (not miz's fault) and thats it, for agruements sake he is better off, than where he was last year, I would hope for Miz fans that he does not fall off the map like Swagger and Sheamus.

Again, your not really getting the point. His push hasnt convinced you? Thats irrelevant. He has still recieved a big push, and his stock has risen in the last 12 months. This isnt a complicated point I'm putting across, I dont really see were the confusion is coming from. I think WWE see The Miz as a long term main eventer. A lot of people get the title hot shotted onto them in recent years, but by the time Mania comes around, the belt is normally back in the hands of Triple H/Cena/Batista/Orton/Taker/Edge, one of their old hand, reliable main eventers/go to guys. If The Miz had lost the title at the Rumble to Orton for example, it would be the same as them hoping that the title run would make the man ala Swagger/Sheamus, but The Miz is the champ for the last 5/6 months and will be defending the title at their biggest PPV show of the year. He is getting more of a push than the others who have had surprise title victories.

Say what you want, but HHH v Undertaker is a big money Mania match which, aside from heel Cena v Undertaker, is probably the biggest drawing match they have at the moment.

Enjoyed the more 'edgy' Cena at the start and is exactly the kind of character the should revert to with him in my opinion [after all, its what got him over in the first place], rather than the breakfast cereal eating, poopy-joke telling nerd he's become.

Lawler-Cole should have heat if nothing else. It gives Lawler a WrestleMania moment and Cole will get the kicking his character so richly deserves. Loved the angle too. Classic old-school stuff.

The other big part of Raw I enjoyed was the opening segment with Cena. It was almost like a time warp, we started the promo with goofy 2011 Cena, and the shift to badass 2003 Cena was immense. That's the John Cena I was a fan of. Witty, intense and fired up. I can definitely see some little kids scratching their heads over the "pinwheel" line, and while we could debate over how edgy it was compared to his old raps, it was edgy enough to serve its purpose. We didn't need a 15+ quota of swearing to convey the message.

The content was spot on, however my only critique would have been the flowing deliverence to nail his point across to The Rock. A little bit quicker instead of pauses longer than he should! The message stands at he won't back down in his thoughts. Cena played it well for sure with some killer lines. With Rock being the guest host, I wouldn't want to see a guest ref position for him. Just hope they can build this WM match the best they can with Miz. Would a 3 way be out of the question? It could all be last minute stuff on the night for a triple threat I don't know!

• Paid Members

Legend Killer is bang on form in this thread, it must be said. He's spot on with every post he's made.

Really enjoyed Raw. I'm looking forward to the upcoming weeks with the Undertaker and Triple H more than I am the actual match at the moment, which I suppose is the desired affect because it's week one of six before the PPV. These two are big angle performers who wont allow the program to be derailed, so I expect nothing but the best ideas for them. There was something special about this weeks Raw. There was a sense that anything was possible after the promo at the start. The crowd were hot all night I thought. Triple H's reaction was cracking, and Orton was as over as he's been in ages. I cant remember how WrestleMania looked last year with 6 weeks to go, but this one is gaining interest from me.

The Cole/King interview segment was brilliant - Cole getting his arse kicked at Mania is exactly what everyone wants to see so I was fully behind Jerry here.

The Triple H v Taker rumours had been around for a while and it's just totally underwhelming to me. Taker can't be round for much longer and I'd like to see his final Mania matches be against up and comers who get so close to beating him. I don't think it'll be a shit match, however - I just think there's a million better situations for Taker. And seeing Sheamus walk out to the ring in the very next segment, completely ignoring the Trips appearance even though Sheamus has regularly gloated about the Game's hiatus, was just a little sad.

I know, makes no sense for business. It's staring them in the face and yet the company have him lose to Mark Henry. Not the sort of build up for Sheamus to have some part in the HHH/UT match now is it!!

I can't believe how much The Miz has improved in the last year. He's given that belt some credibility, being a cocky bastard heel, the way it shoudl be done. The icing on the cake would be a sneaky win against Cena at WM, but as we all know that won't happen.

Cole is fucking brilliant as a heel, really gets me into the show more when he's arguing with his co-hosts.

And Cena's promo on this weeks Raw really did it for me. A worthy successor to The Rock's promo, as good as anyone could do it really. I'm pretty sure they made a few heads turn with some of those lines ("blow me").

Can't wait for the next episode.

Who would have noticed that though? Nobody watching at home. I certainly didn't, especially since I was expecting Sting to turn up!

I was watching at home, and I did notice it. It wasn't exactly hard to miss if you were looking at the ceiling as the Camera panned around. It was bloody massive.

• Paid Members
Who would have noticed that though? Nobody watching at home. I certainly didn't, especially since I was expecting Sting to turn up!

I was watching at home, and I did notice it. It wasn't exactly hard to miss if you were looking at the ceiling as the Camera panned around. It was bloody massive.

Dont you think the fact the Undertaker actually being in the 2-21-10 video that was played last week, Sunday and last night was a bit of a give away though? Everyone knew it was him anyway, so there wasn't much pre-empting.

Archived