Monday Night Raw: 21/2/2011 Discussion *Includes Spoilers*

Gooner

Agree with Supremo here. Maybe they'll blow off the Undertaker/Barrett and HHH/Sheamus storylines on TV over the next few weeks? Considering how many matches they've lost recently, neither Barrett nor Sheamus should pose enough of a challenge to HHH or Taker to keep them busy for more than a throwaway TV match.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts on Raw

- Enjoyed the Taker/HHH staredown, not a fan of either but there is no denying that they are massive names and legends, as they havent wrestled proper in years im looking forward to there Mania match

- Enjoyed The Miz and Punks promos, both have a great knack of winding the crowd up

- Cant believe im saying this but I enjoyed Cena a great deal, his response to The Rock was actually quite good, the fans want this match BAD

- Despite the bad taste im enjoying Cole vs Lawler

Overall good Raw

The ending to the first match made little sense, period.

Heath Slater looked like he was going to stop the count, Barrett was screaming 'Get in there!' and yet they all just stood around like plums when Miz got the three. Very strange.

Exactly my point. Cena's reaction, Barrett screaming, Slater's positioning and the instant rematch and finish to that made me really think that change wasn't planned. As for Miz music being played as Johnny said, It's possible they realised the count wasn't stopping and just had to press 1 button to play it and went with it knowing the rematch excuse would be a good way to sort it, or maybe Miz's music was already set up ready for a beatdown after the planned (2nd for us) finish. Who know's that might be how it was supposed to happen but something just didn't seem right about it.

Undertakers murder and HHH's career threatening injury can't simply be explained away on TV. I'm sure they'll address it over the coming weeks but bulldozing headfirst into HHH/Undertaker at Wrestlemania did nothing but make Barrett and Sheamus look like complete idiots. And this is coming from someone who doesn't even like Sheamus that much. I'm not suggesting that Barrett should have ended Takers streak, but it's a well known fact that HHH and Taker haven't got much time left and in my opinion they should be using their time to elevate the guys who will inherit the company when they've gone. The company needs new stars for it's long term survival and someone like HHH, who has a day job with the company, should understand this.

Well those who thought Sting would be appearing must have had a bad reaction to that. I thought it wasn't too bad, the Taekr and Triple H staredown was okay in my books. Before I was thinking it was awful as neither man spoke and they just stared at each other and then the Wrestlemania logo insinuating a match at Wrestlemania. I was thinking it would have been much better with some speech but then realised it did what it was supposed to do, it had them announce the match but left me wanting more, it left me wanting to hear them speak and build it up more which is why I'll be tuning in next week, which is obviously what they want.

People moaning about the Lawler and Cole thing must know the two guys are probably really good mates in real life and it was probably all okayed with Lawler first of all and who's to say Lawler didn't ask them to do it himself? Last week they were very respectful and I can't see someone coming up with that so maybe Lawler told them to say something like that to get the heat going. I loved the way that was done with Cole legging it through the crowd too.

Also the moaning over Cena, I can't understand, people moan because they think he's childish and his insults are weak and make him sound like an idiot saying stuff like poopy. Then he pulls out one of his raps where he says some pretty insulting stuff which doesn't make him sound very immature and actually reminded me of his old school rapping back on Smackdown when he first started. This is heading towards the sort of Cena I want back, the one who did the insulting raps that were controversial, it's much better than hearing him say someone is poopy.

Then people moaning about these two things whilst usually we'll have some moan about the PG rating. I loved how it pushed the PG rating this week and hope they continue down this road.

Also it was good to see Cena and Miz win the Titles only to lose them again, at first I thought oh dear, not another Tag Team Champions are enemies and are facing each other for the Title soon story. But to have Miz win the Titles firstly only to then go and cost them the Titles straight after it has put a lot more fuel into the rivaly than just having them as Tag Team Champions would have done.

Overall not too bad a Raw, must say a slight disappointment but I guess the returns were just there as a teaser for it to build up more next week. Those saying Triple H and Undertaker's pops weren't that great, especially compared to The Rock, must realise the genuine surprise that The Rock returned after he was away for seven years and people didn't really know what to expect with the guest host. Whereas everyone knew Triple H and The Undertaker were going to return at some point, Undertaker had the video build up and Triple H is the boss's daughter and there were stories coming out all the time, even a few months ago, saying his return was expected.

I thought it was a good show with a lot of very entertaining segments. Cena rapping again was great, The Miz cut a good promo, the Triple H and Undertaker staredown was good and I thought it was great how they managed to tell a story without even saying anything. Cole is probably the best heel in the company at the moment because you genuinely get his arse kicked, although I don't know why they had to make the comment about his mother.

The only thing I thought was a bit pointless was Miz and Cena winning the titles only for Miz to cost them the titles a few minutes later. I'm glad they didn't go with an enemies as Tag Champions storyline again though as that has been done a little too much. When the match was announced, I certainly expected them to recycle that again.

I do hope they don't just forget about Sheamus and Barrett putting out Taker and HHH respectively. That just sounds like something TNA would do. Even if they wait until after Wrestlemania and that is both mens next feud afterwards, I won't have a problem with it. I just hope they don't forget about it altogether.

Undertakers murder and HHH's career threatening injury can't simply be explained away on TV. I'm sure they'll address it over the coming weeks but bulldozing headfirst into HHH/Undertaker at Wrestlemania did nothing but make Barrett and Sheamus look like complete idiots. And this is coming from someone who doesn't even like Sheamus that much. I'm not suggesting that Barrett should have ended Takers streak, but it's a well known fact that HHH and Taker haven't got much time left and in my opinion they should be using their time to elevate the guys who will inherit the company when they've gone. The company needs new stars for it's long term survival and someone like HHH, who has a day job with the company, should understand this.

I reckon that Undertaker could still feud with the core I mean theres still about 5 weeks of TV left till Mania. Depends whever they have alot of brand interaction and again I reckon that will be mainly Taker going to Raw every week. Triple H could Just beat down Sheamus or Put Sheamus in Money in the bank and then Sheamus can have a reason to avoid the game until backlash at least.

Well It says alot about the company that Two stars who have only Just come back will main event wrestlemania. It Just shows that apart from elevating Del Rio anyone they,ve given a push too they just dont have enough faith in them when the biggets show comes around.

Personally, the rap segment was the most entertaining I've found Cena in about 6 years. Pretty weak ending to it, but got some good digs in there that were a definite improvement on his generic 'happy-go-lucky joker>hellfire preacher' promos. I think if they allow them room to improvise and cut loose like seems to have been the case in the last few weeks, a duelling promo between the two of them in the next few weeks or at the show itself could be gold.

Let's put aside buyrates and pops for a moment and try to explain why HHH and Undertaker would fight each other at Wrestlemania when they have way more important things to be doing.

If you are going to take that much of a pedantic, microscopic stance on a pro wrestling show then let's put aside the entire thing first and work out the real world implications of a man raising from the dead, shooting his own cool as beans promos and then getting them aired for weeks prior to his arrival - accompanied by a Johnny Cash tune he took a license out on for his own nationally televised resurrection party.

I know that's a cheap, shitty argument to use on people that serves to make it's perpetrator look like he has no care for any amount of logic or consistency in wrestling but seriously ... I doubt anyone in the building gave a toss either way in this case considering the excitement about this match, the good causation for having it and the fact that much bigger plotholes have and will continue to exist in the WWE. If you want a degree of logic and consistency to the shows you are going to have to do the same with your arguments.

I'm sure WWE have their own incredibly logical reasoning for doing this too. They obviously have more faith in this match - this storyline - heading into the biggest cash cow of the year than anything involving Sheamus, whose also getting buried alive these days, and Wade Barrett. Who is still a very good asset but has undeniably suffered as a result of being placed in a watered down, generic faction on WWE's de facto B-Show. Sheamus was last seen getting pinned by Mark Henry clean and Wade is currently running around making the all smiling, all waving world's largest athlete weally, weally angwy.

If ditching those two guys in favour of doing Triple H and 'Taker doesn't make logical sense I don't know what does. Who gives a fuck if it was ignored. Calling the segment anything less than a job well done is complete insanity.

I agree that a Taker/HHH match is a way better Mania match than HHH/Sheamus or Taker/Barrett, so in that sense WWE made the right call.

However, the defending of WWE that "neither Barrett or Sheamus are strong enough to be real threats to HHH/Taker, so they couldn't do them at Mania" is completely mental...

The only reason that neither Barrett nor Sheamus are 'ready' for such big matches is because WWE have done a fucking awesome job of making them both look like total shit over the last few months. It's entirely their own fault that neither youngster is ready for a 'Big Time Wrestlemania Match', as they booked them both to look like complete chumps.

As things stand, HHH/Taker is the much better option, but only because WWE did a crap job of booking the other options in the build-up. It's not like Wade and Sheamus haven't shown that they are capable, WWE just decided to bail on both of their pushes - just like always happens!

I agree that a Taker/HHH match is a way better Mania match than HHH/Sheamus or Taker/Barrett, so in that sense WWE made the right call.

However, the defending of WWE that "neither Barrett or Sheamus are strong enough to be real threats to HHH/Taker, so they couldn't do them at Mania" is completely mental...

The only reason that neither Barrett nor Sheamus are 'ready' for such big matches is because WWE have done a fucking awesome job of making them both look like total shit over the last few months. It's entirely their own fault that neither youngster is ready for a 'Big Time Wrestlemania Match', as they booked them both to look like complete chumps.

As things stand, HHH/Taker is the much better option, but only because WWE did a crap job of booking the other options in the build-up. It's not like Wade and Sheamus haven't shown that they are capable, WWE just decided to bail on both of their pushes - just like always happens!

I'll agree with that. WWE were Sheamus and Wade's undoing. I love the two of them and in no way will any of my arguments blame them personally for not being able to handle the ball, so to speak.

Of course there is sense in elevating new stars, but WWE is already doing that. The two title matches on the biggest show of the year are going to have two new faces, one of which Vito is pissy about anyway. I reckon WWE are taking the right approach to this years Mania. They have The Rock back on the show, they have Triple H v The Undertaker as (probably) their main event, with the possibility of some HBK involvement. With Tough Enough around the corner, I wouldnt be surprised to see some sort of involvement from Stone Cold too. So that would hopefully be enough to get some of the casual fanbase to buy the show, and then hopefully they can get them hooked and get them to come back with some of the newer stars shining. Miz, JoMo, Del Rio, Barrett, Nexus/Corre, Daniel Bryan etc are all new faces or vastly superior to where their were this time last year, that there is plenty of new blood coming through throughout the card on Mania this year. The only one who seems to have gone down from this time last year is Sheamus. They are pushing plenty of new stars, more so in this past year in one go than any year I can think of for the last decade or so.

Also, as a side topic, what consititues old guard these days anyway? Is Cena old guard? Punk has been around WWE for what? 5 years now? Is that old? Should they stop pushing him now and push someone new?

I see even you have forgotten Jack Swaggers glorious run as champ, and what about the rise and fall of Kofi, Ted Jr, Daniel Bryan? really he is in dark matches now, hell I wouldnt be surprised if him vs Sheamus is a dark match at WM.

The only name you mentioned who imo has had a real good push is Del Rio.

JoMo is becoming the new spot monkey, I hope its worth the shit he is putting his body on the line for, because Im getting the impression WWE arent too sure what to do with him.

Thats it really, its alright pushing new guys but they have to have talent in first place, Nexus/Corre are shit, they're not even close to what there were last year, I cant even name them all, CM Punk would be a star without them.

I know WM is about the big events and stars, but it doesnt say much when WM27 is going to be headlined by Taker vs HHH, not the match itself, Im sure it will be good, it just shows WWE have not moved forward much since 2002.

I can actually see TripleH retiring, I mean he probably took a look around the locker room and saw it was just him and some kids now, even though he should do it, I cant see him putting over the likes of The Miz etc, and he realizes he cant keep facing Cena/Orton, HBK is gone so he cant do the DX stuff either.

Takers probably 2months away from being injuryed again, my disappointment with Taker is I thought WWE were going to freshen up his gimmick, but its still the same old stuff.

The Cena promo was probably the best thing he has done in years, but all it did for me, is make me want to see Cena vs Rock.

The Miz just came across as a spare tool, I would bet most people watching WM are looking forward more to the Cena/Rock face off, than the actual Miz/Cena match.

It reminds me of when Cena was in his fired story, nobody gave a whats it about Wade vs Orton, everyone was wondering what Cena was going to do.

Archived