Monday Night Raw: 21/2/2011 Discussion *Includes Spoilers*

Gooner

I always enjoy purplemonkey's posts, they're full of detail and passion and I usually find myself nodding my head, as is the case here. I've just rewatched the Taker/Trips segment as I first saw it live and was falling asleep due to being ectremely tired as opposed to what was onscreen. At the time I thought it was good but on rewatch I think it's great.

I don't understand the criticisms really. Firstly, how can anyone dispute the crowd being into it? Taker got a big pop and Trips got a huge one, making him easily the most over guy on the show this week. When Taker turns to look at the Mania sign (an overused spot but effective when the right guys do it - as seen here) they have the crowd eating out of their hands, and they did it without saying a single word.

For me, the only thing that was a mild negative was the crotch chop, because it's a lame gesture but unfortunately that's Triple H's signature taunt so he's stuck with it. It's worth noting that the place went mental when he did it. If you analyse the piece, they got everything spot-on. Taker's reactions are amazing from his "I can't fucking believe this guy" look on his face when Trips comes out and to his smirk when challenged to his about-face at the end.

Plus, if you look at the subtext - and sadly I doubt they're going to go with Trips as a heel here - it's the ultimate act of disrespect on his part. He waits for Taker to return after months and months and just goes and takes the moment from him, taking the crowd from him (well, the majority) in the process. You don't fuck with Undertaker. That's his character. It always has been whether he's an undead zombie or an ass-kicking biker. I've been one of his harshest critics on here and I don't much care for the guy, but his character is based on respect. That HHH not only steals his spotlight but proceeds to literally march around the ring while barely even acknowledging him save for a couple of "Are you watching me?" glances over his shoulder is akin to him walking right up to the guy and spitting in his face.

It's some of the best seed-planting WWE have done in ages. Granted they have five weeks left in which they could piss all over it but for now they have me - and judging by that crowd, plenty of others - hooked. For anyone who would prefer Triple H rolling over a so-far-down-the-pecking-order-it's-concerning Sheamus and Undertaker going over Barrett in what would be an utterly suspenseless encounter, I genuinely don't understand your way of thinking.

A final point, and do indulge me because I rarely make lengthy on-topic posts; comparing anything on this show - especially this - to the reaction that The Rock got is unfair to absolutely everyone involved. That was special; the kind of noise not really heard in the last seven years in a WWE ring outside of the Flair and Michaels retirements and the kind of noise you might not hear again, so it's really not a fair comparison.

Roll on Mania, says I.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I for one definitely see Miz retaining over Cena. They did with Orton when he was being pushed as a top heel, he went over Triple H and Cena at Mania. Not that thats any indication these days.

It's the only conclusion for Miz retaining. Rock has to interfere and cause Cena to lose by throwing the Miz on top of a beaten Rock on the mat!

Then bring it with Cena vs Rock. Simples!

Just a quick question. Hypothetically speaking here, what would people say if come the Monday morning after Wrestlemania we have a situation where Triple H has indeed broke the streak? Just curious!

I can imagine some would find it horrendous and others would find it a barrel of laughs

• Paid Members

No chance. Rock will not be wrestling any time soon. If he were, it would be at 'Mania. Can you imagine the braintrust sitting around plotting a Mania main event finish designed 100% to promote some other forthcoming match?

Besides, Rock reputedly earns more for one shitty movie than he did in 12 months of bumping. He isnt going to run the risk of getting hurt (and jeopardizing his livelihood) by climbing back in the ring, surely? They havent enough money to make it worth his while.

No chance. Rock will not be wrestling any time soon. If he were, it would be at 'Mania.

I don't think for a second he'll ever return for a match but it would be far from stupid for them to use his return to pop the Mania buyrate then build to an eventual match at Summerslam. Loads of people will be buying Mania on the back of him just appearing anyway. Why throw all your eggs in one basket? Plus wasn't there news a few months back that they were going to put extra emphasis on Summerslam going forward? Including always holding it in LA so they have access to the Hollywood crowd? Would make perfect sense to have his big return there if it were ever to happen.

• Paid Members

HHH and Undertaker was all kinds of fucking epic. As someone who is actually going to Atlanta now, as soon as I saw Trips come out I knew what it meant, and I'll be damned if I'm not seriously pumped about it. Wrestling television at it's absolute finest for me. Seven's post about the segment itself hits the nail on the head, they got awesome reactions and didn't utter a single word. To me, it made the segment that much more powerful than if Undertaker cut a promo, before HHH interupted and babbled on about coming back. The build to this looks to be very much on the right track already and I for one am well up for it.

HHH and Undertaker was all kinds of fucking epic. As someone who is actually going to Atlanta now, as soon as I saw Trips come out I knew what it meant, and I'll be damned if I'm not seriously pumped about it. Wrestling television at it's absolute finest for me. Seven's post about the segment itself hits the nail on the head, they got awesome reactions and didn't utter a single word. To me, it made the segment that much more powerful than if Undertaker cut a promo, before HHH interupted and babbled on about coming back. The build to this looks to be very much on the right track already and I for one am well up for it.

I loved the thing, it was just amazing. It has given me a reason to be excited for Wrestlemania again as well, becuase I'm not into The Miz as Wrestlemania main event quality when The Rock is in the building, it seems second class. But I wish people wouldn't be so negative over the Undertaker/Triple H thing, there is six weeks left for it to get even better yet.

Good Raw. I was never a fan of rapper Cena at the time, but really enjoyed his speech this week. The Cena/Miz/Rock storyline definitely has my interest for the road to WrestleMania.

On the other hand, I don't care about Orton vs Punk at all. Punk's great, but Orton's rarely interesting, and I don't give a toss about their feud predicated on a punt kick that happened more than two years and at least two Punk world title reigns ago.

i thought triple h came out to quick ,I still have no idea what the cabin is about ? anyone have any ideas.

Did you really think that there was going to be a plot point involving a cabin? Undertaker's had comeback hype videos featuring deserts and snakes and all sorts of shit in the past, it doesn't mean they're part of the story.

The Triple H v Taker rumours had been around for a while and it's just totally underwhelming to me. Taker can't be round for much longer and I'd like to see his final Mania matches be against up and comers who get so close to beating him. I don't think it'll be a shit match, however - I just think there's a million better situations for Taker. And seeing Sheamus walk out to the ring in the very next segment, completely ignoring the Trips appearance even though Sheamus has regularly gloated about the Game's hiatus, was just a little sad.

Sums up my thoughts on it as well. This time last year, I'd gotten well into the Michaels vs Undertaker rematch after being dismissive of the idea beforehand. But I still have no excitement whatsoever for Triple H vs Undertaker. I get that it's meant to be the marquee match while the other two mains feature new faces, but I'd have more interest in HHH vs Sheamus and Undertaker vs Barrett. At least if Sheamus and Barrett hadn't been treated like non-entities lately. Sheamus is even doing the losing streak tantrum gimmick now.

I'm amused by the "the crowd cheered, so it's good" argument regarding Trips and Hunter, let's not forget that the WWE audience routinely pops for Cena and Hornswoggle.

i no lol dey suk. crowd shud jus pop 4 bryan n punk

Why is Alboreto Del Rio shitting up Raw every week?

Because you're a dribbler.

Thing is, I can see Vito's point about elevating new stars. I can.

He's not fond of elevating new stars though, is he? He's moaning about Del Rio, who's in one of the main events and debuted about six months ago.

I agree that a Taker/HHH match is a way better Mania match than HHH/Sheamus or Taker/Barrett, so in that sense WWE made the right call.

However, the defending of WWE that "neither Barrett or Sheamus are strong enough to be real threats to HHH/Taker, so they couldn't do them at Mania" is completely mental...

The only reason that neither Barrett nor Sheamus are 'ready' for such big matches is because WWE have done a fucking awesome job of making them both look like total shit over the last few months. It's entirely their own fault that neither youngster is ready for a 'Big Time Wrestlemania Match', as they booked them both to look like complete chumps.

As things stand, HHH/Taker is the much better option, but only because WWE did a crap job of booking the other options in the build-up. It's not like Wade and Sheamus haven't shown that they are capable, WWE just decided to bail on both of their pushes - just like always happens!

Bang on. The king abides.

Plus as Ian says, it's hardly been a huge cover up considering for the past week or two Taker's actually been in the videos, so what does it matter?

Yeah, but to the average fuckwitted loon on here fan, the "Taker" in the videos was actually Shawn Michaels dressed up in Undertaker's gear, body and jaw. So it being the actual Undertaker was still a secret.

Yes it was, it was still not a forgone conclusion. Especially for all the people who were saying the image we saw of Taker in the Video looked like HHH or HBK.

Anyone who was saying that doesn't count as a person.

on JRs site he mentions josh mathews slating him, whhat was said

Something about him being old enough to remember when George Washington was president.

• Paid Members
On the other hand, I don't care about Orton vs Punk at all. Punk's great, but Orton's rarely interesting, and I don't give a toss about their feud predicated on a punt kick that happened more than two years and at least two Punk world title reigns ago.

I think i'm the only one who is but, i'm loving Punk-Orton so far and a big part of that is because it's stemmed from The Punt in 2008.

That event now seems very significant for how each of their characters have become clearly defined. Punk especially. How i see it, that punt, Punk having his World title taken away from him by unjust means, when he was living a dream of holding it and defending it, hanging with the big boys when it was presented as though they believed he was out of his depth and he should enjoy his fleeting time in the main event has molded Punk into the heel he's gone on to become. That he never really retaliated to Orton or got his revenge never seemed right at the time and made him seem like a bit of a coward and as though he was accepting defeat and that he wasn't ready to hang with Orton and the rest. Now, it kinda makes sense that he'd sit back, bide his time and learn from his mistakes and naivety and explains his drastic change in attitude when he cashed in the Money in the Bank again and when he held the World title again. How the title was taken away from him was always in the back of his mind. And also why he's been looking to build and be the leader of his own army for a while. He always planned to get his revenge on Orton and doing it when he had a following he knew didn't doubt him and Orton was a loner and to cost Orton both the WWE title and the chance to Main Event Wrestlemania was the time to do it.

Punks been bitter about it ever since and has become essentially what Orton was at the time, a sadistic cult-like leader in his quest for revenge. I like that. Punk works tremendously in this role and is clearly having a riot doing it and Orton can be really effective in the way he's been handled the past few weeks. They have a good chemistry together and i think they've actually got the potential to steal the show at Wrestlemania.

I'm glad you're enjoying it and you've read all that into the story and connected with it. It's a good explanation. I've joined dots myself before with feuds I've enjoyed that other people haven't thought much of. For me, Orton and Punk haven't clicked but fingers crossed they'll get me into it by the time of WrestleMania.

from lordsofpain.net

- Last night's episode of WWE Monday Night RAW with the returns of Triple H and The Undertaker scored a 3.9 cable rating with 5.8 million viewers, according to Jim Ross on his Twitter. This is the best number for RAW in a while.

guess thats what happens when you bring The Rock back. Pretty impressive.

• Paid Members

I'm loving Punk at the minute, but you could replace Orton with a damp flannel and it'd be just as interesting. I'm not a massive fan of Punk or anything, I wouldn't even list him in my top 5, but you know how people used to say Flair could carry a broom to a 3* match?, I think Punk can carry anyone to a good fued based just on his character and promos.

Orton for a fairly long amount of time looked like he was going to be the next big thing. In his fued with HHH where he was taking out the McMahons, he looked like an absolute monster but that eventually faded out when Shane McMahon kicked the shit out of him. Now he's a bloke trying to be Austin but without any charisma, I mean ignoring the similarities between the stunner and the RKO, he's even stole the Lou Thesz press and does a different-fingered taunt!. I have absolutely no interest in Orton at all, he's became so robotic and dull, and his 1 facial expression is as impressive as a wet fart.

If it wasn't for Punk, there would be little to no interest in the Orton match.

• Paid Members
from lordsofpain.net

- Last night's episode of WWE Monday Night RAW with the returns of Triple H and The Undertaker scored a 3.9 cable rating with 5.8 million viewers, according to Jim Ross on his Twitter. This is the best number for RAW in a while.

guess thats what happens when you bring The Rock back. Pretty impressive.

It'll be interesting to see how much the rating drops after The Rock didn't show up this week. Especially after the returns of both HHH and Taker.

Archived