Mornington Crescent

Carbomb

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I fell into the trap.

Like a fool, I fell into the trap.

matbro1984 lured me to head for Hyde Park Corner, with its promises of intercontinental cards and such, and so I traversed from Heathrow using Havington's Loop through the Snarebridge under/overpass rules. Unfortunately, I was not as wary as some others, and didn't realise it to be nothing more than a trap. I hit Westminster hard, came off the rails and landed in Nidd.

I am sincerely upset that you have found yourself in Nidd. My alert of intercontinental cards at Hyde Park Corner was most emphatically not a trap, merely a good-natured heads-up that some very rare cards had re-entered circulation, and I resent any accusation of such underhanded tomfoolery. Remember, I have dead-ended myself and can no longer win this round; there's nothing for me to gain by promoting trap play.

Thank you everyone else for your kind words. My local councillor, himself a keen player, has invited me to the next council meeting to announce my play. The local paper is also considering an article about in this week's edition. Exciting times indeed. I do feel a little pang of regret at not redeeming it in such a fashion that I could accumulate ranking groats, but my enthusiasm was too much to restrain. Having had such good fortune, I'm going to declare myself out for the next couple of rounds and observe from afar.

Speaking now purely as a spectator with no vested interest, dare I wonder out loud why Chancery Lane remains unencumbered to the perpendicular? There's also some excellent counterplay potential along the eastern flank of the Jubilee line. Truly some exciting plays ahead if someone is bold enough to breach the Bakerloo protruberance. I await the next traversal with baited breath. I have picked my words here carefully so I'm not ruining the element of surprise for any of the patient players in the 3rd quadrant.

Quentin Hawley, grandson of the legendary Sir Malcolm Hawley, and former proprietor of the now defunct "MC/2000" magazine, is keeping a very close eye on this game. Rumour has it he's invested a vast amount of his inheritance in a software development house to bring Mornington Crescent to mobile devices such as the iPad. Much like his ill-advised foray into print publications with "MC/2000", I fear this attempt to make our venerable game "modern" and "trendy" will fall flat. I admire his zeal for the competition, but traditional values must always reign supreme with our beloved pursuit. Call me old-fashioned, but he's not the kind of person I want playing our game. For all his wealth, he still ignores convention by neglecting a shirt and smart jacket when he makes appearances at the Westminster semi-professional invitational. Who does he think he is?

Anyway, back to the game at hand. I'll be checking back every few minutes to see what happens. Strategy and poise is absolutely crucial now, the game is wide open.

Let it be known, after my last move, this one was to be as great as the Gambit to End All Gambits, a move so secretive it can only be read about and indeed mastered by playing with the Chipping Sodbury Mechanics Society, where this move is credited as being created. John Ambleton is the pseudonym of the collective of players that created this gambit, and it really could be one to end all moves. Its use in 'open' and invitational play is scarce, and it is forbidden in all major tournaments except the Peru South Championships, where keen for faster games, they allow its sporadic and non continual use as long an Alpaca is donated in the form of a security should the player go 'missing' after playing such a devastating move.

Sadly though I was paying attention when I reached Tottenham Court Road to unleash such a move, yet it wasnt to the trains, nor was it to the buxom wench who stood beside me as I strode through, well sauntered really, but you get the point. I was at the station, lauding over it like I was Lord of the Manor, because I was about to play the Gambit to End All Gambits, unfortunately I made a critical error! I wasnt paying any attention to the direction I was facing.

Now every player should know that this move is so dangerous that its incorrect usage can send the user to places far and wide, but it can also lead straight to the 'hallowed' place for victory. Thus its use at this stage of competition would surely mean a devastating victory.

Now, if you are reading this, then you will already know the consequences of me not paying attention to the direction I was facing. This message has been relayed by NASA for a reason. After making the move, Ive ended up at the International Space Station. I should have listened to old Archie Campbell, who warned me for the dangers of using this move

Anyway I'm due to be rescued shortly, but rather oddly there is a Mornington Cresent Manual here, for the Russian Enthusiast. I wonder if that can be of any help. Only time will tell. At least the food isnt bad

• Paid Members

Hmmmm, I sense that Uncletrunx is on to a moving gambit with a very strong sense that he's onto a winner - no explanation, just a straight play. But I see what he's up to - he's coming dangerously close to straddling without actually doing it; very risky, but very stylish, under Canadian ruleset.

I'm still In Spoon, unfortunately, so someone is going to have to try and stop him - I would recommend blocking his route across the perpendicular stack.

• Moderators

Well, I've just been released from Banishment Circle, which is surely against the Bernard-Shaw Variant of the Rules. But I'll ignore such unfair exploitations of the codes of the game, and perk for Highbury.

Get out of that lads.

• Paid Members

Still in Hackney Wick, where I've attempted to start a game with the performance artist to pass the time. Unfortunately, after checking the rules, Nova Scotia convention forbids "Sub-Crescenting", and as such, I've been bumped (legal under Nova Scotia rules for disciplinary purposes) to Nidd. I thought my clever observation had given me a fairly solid grounding in the game, and that I'd rush in and dazzle everyone, but it really is a different kettle of fish once you're in here giving it a go. I suppose that's the beauty of the game - it truly humbles the arrogant.

Great spot by Carbomb; I'll have to adjust my play, as the risk of a blocker forcing me to straddle due to doubleplay makes the tactic too much of a gamble. I could try it anyway but one only has to look at Winterbottom vs Galuzka from the 1996 Danish Invitational (Semi Final) to see how that turns out.

So, same theme, slight variation for defensive purposes;

St. John's Wood

That Russian book found on the International Space Station, had many, many exciting moves listed. Some that are sharable, others to be saved til another time. There was a slight fascination with Goldfish for some of the moves though which was odd.

What it does allow though is this. The Verkohansk-Lassard Potato Shaker.

I shall play this move, leading me directly to...

Mornington Crescent

• Paid Members

Wow, an orbital insertion from space! That's a hell of a stunt move. Overall, I'd say this game has been one to be proud of, some spectacular stuff we've seen.

Congrats, patdfb.

Right, gents - time for another. I say now we play Royal Canadian, Toronto variation. I'm now out of Spoon, so:

Euston Square

• Paid Members

Quite, some stunning moves in that last session. I feel rather made up to be a part of it.

Anyway, I believe the common Canadian stipulation of Nidd being carried over to the next game is invalidated by the rule switch, so I'm going to try something a bit tricky and start at Kilburn. I'll be interested to see if one of you fine gents can figure out what I'm attempting here.

As promised I'm sitting out the next few rounds. However, I was unable to secure a ticket for the spectators' enclosure, and I will not bow to the extortionate prices the touts are seeking on eBay. Alas, I'll have to follow this one by text.

On an unrelated note, is there any truth to the rumour that Rupert Murdoch and co are seeking the TV rights to competitive matchplay this year?

Archived