Mornington Crescent

Carbomb

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YES! By sheer coincidence (and by the time that has passed) I fell through Nidd via the Lambton Impala Seclusion and found myself not in Australia as I thought, but in fact at Chalfort & Latimer, which is apparently as close as you can get to Nidd in mortal realms.

I'm back, baby.

• Paid Members

I think it's indicative of the modern generation that they're ignoring the classic moves. I suspect American influence.

I'm keeping it classic and taking the Arthur Conan Doyle leap to Baker Street. I can, at least, rest easy knowing that I'm playing the game properly and not just pissing about.

• Paid Members

Oh, piss off with your purism. Sod off to Stovold's if you think that way, we don't need "holier than thou" types around here.

In fact:

Tooting Bec

Put that in your pipe and smoke it - a bona fide, 100% Colorado Drainpipe Switch, as American a shunt as you'll ever see in any game. What are you gonna do about it? Nothing, that's what.

If we were being truly elitist about it, we wouldn't be playing a Canadian ruleset: American styles of play are well suited to the Canadian variants, (even more so than the British styles, though you'd best speak it in a whisper so that the Council of Manitoba don't have you ostracised.)

Back to the matter in hand, and with such a fluid and fast moving game I'd better go with the ebb and flow of things. I know I risk becoming predictable by using another Widdershins double shift but on this occasion it's the best move available and gets me all the way to

Great Portland Street

• Paid Members

Never one to shy away from the impossible, I've attempted to release myself from my Aldwych purgatory. Noting Carbomb's reference to the Vertical Swipe, I opted to try a Reverse Vertical Swipe in the hope that I'd be able to latch onto a path that could have blocked me, and follow it backwards to a decent playable station. I came so close to pulling it off and ending up at Charing Cross, but as anyone who's been half-paying attention will see, this is a Northern Line station between Mornington Crescent and Carbomb's current position of Tooting Bec, making my re-entry a blocking manoeuvre - illegal, of course, when entering from a disused station. So, I've been forcibly moved along to a National Rail connection, and, for my shot-in-the-dark accidental infringement, ended up in Nidd.

If my run of luck carries on this way, I might end up surpassing even the very worst of the infamous Scarborough 1987 Open Multiple-Forfeiture fiasco. Fortunately the rest of you are playing quite shrewdly, so I doubt we'll end up with anything even comparable to those dreadful "176 players, no winners" headlines. The ever-elitist MC Southern Counties Quarterly had a field day with that one.

• Paid Members

opcws, that's just put me in Nidd as well.

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. 'Never one to shy away from the impossible' indeed. There's no doubt that this is a competitive game, but it doesn't have to be a combative game, except when people start trying to show off. It's one of the many reasons I take issue with this constant 'glitziness' in gameplay.

This is not a crap indy fed, gentlemen. There's no space for constant highspots.

Let's get back to playing properly, and if someone could get me out of Nidd, which I'm now in through NO fault of my own, I'd appreciate it.

• Paid Members

Put your toys back in the pram, Chris. We're playing Canadian ruleset at YOUR insistence, after all. You can't start spouting purist balls when you're the reason we're playing New World variants, and quite frankly, we don't need it. Can't speak for anyone else here, but I think the games we've had thus far have been absolutely stonking.

Highspots? Puh-lease. Both you and opcws are effectively "selling" by being chucked in Nidd. And let me remind you that, throughout the course of this thread, I've been stuck for long periods in both Nidd and Spoon.

Anyway, rant over.

Dalston Kingsland

• Paid Members

You're talking about MODERN Canadian ruleset. I was talking about CLASSIC Canadian ruleset, which only really changes from the classic London variation minorly. Idiot.

Still stuck in Nidd, obviously.

• Paid Members

Well, you've just been playing modern Canadian ruleset since this thread's inception, IDIOT, so if you had a problem with it, you should've said something.

Perivale

• Paid Members

Still in Nidd too, although I suppose I could go back to Aldwych and stay there making no attempt to move and get myself back into the game completely fairly, in case I accidentally put someone in Nidd through no fault of my own. But no, I think I'll stay here, and choose not to behave in a completely unreasonably self-sabotaging manner simply to avoid inadvertently upsetting someone who seems to forget what ruleset we're playing whenever it gives them the moral high ground.

I'll say no more, except to point out that nobody's ever been disqualified from a tournament for flashily playing within the rules. Persistent complaining, on the other hand...

You're all fools. There's been a match-winning quadrant shunt open for the last three moves, accessible via the perpendicular. One more person in Nidd and the loop closes. For goodness sake someone use it, you're looking like novices.

I'm declaring myself back in for the next round, there's no point exiling myself in a gentlemanly manner for exotic play anymore. I'll show you moaners some ruddy high spots. I'll play a Shadwell Semi-Circular, an Upstream Interchange Traversal, hell I'll even use the stairs instead of the escalator at Angel if I want.

• Paid Members
You're all fools. There's been a match-winning quadrant shunt open for the last three moves, accessible via the perpendicular. One more person in Nidd and the loop closes. For goodness sake someone use it, you're looking like novices.

I'm declaring myself back in for the next round, there's no point exiling myself in a gentlemanly manner for exotic play anymore. I'll show you moaners some ruddy high spots. I'll play a Shadwell Semi-Circular, an Upstream Interchange Traversal, hell I'll even use the stairs instead of the escalator at Angel if I want.

Don't be a spenk, you can't close a quadrant loop via the perpendicular under ROYAL Canadian rules, you need to be able to straddle the obtuse to do that and it's not allowed. Pay attention.

Anyway, time for a Wilson's 44, methinks:

Alexandra Palace

• Paid Members
Well, you've just been playing modern Canadian ruleset since this thread's inception, IDIOT, so if you had a problem with it, you should've said something.

Perivale

You know full well it's impossible to tell how a game will go if you're not completely comfortable with the ruleset. I threw myself in the deep end in the spirit of the game, and ended up watching overly glitzy moves from space stations. I couldn't complain about that at the beginning, because I'd have to have a crystal ball in order to know what would happen. It'd be like writing off a sitcom without watching it.

I'm not trying to be destructive. I'm constructively trying to steer the game back towards some kind of track. Pun fully intended.

Except I obviously can't go on any tracks, because I'm still stuck in Nidd.

As seeing as Ive been watching from afar, biding my time this game, watching with fascination as things come to a head as people go into nidd, come out of nidd and get bogged down in the intricicies of rules and booksets, they have utterly neglected the game at hand derailing things much more than they should.

In a game that is all about strategy the continual bicker and flow away from such great moves early on and peoples inclination to some how get into nidd, but largely ignore Spoon means I shall take advantage of the lull.

Im going to use Diefenbaker's Sandwich Offense which is applicable under All variants of Canadian Rules and takes me straight from where I was meandering, straight to Mornington Crescent for my 2nd win. No need for a flashy play this time, many of you just took your eyes off the ball.

Archived