Mornington Crescent

Carbomb

You're all fools. There's been a match-winning quadrant shunt open for the last three moves, accessible via the perpendicular. One more person in Nidd and the loop closes. For goodness sake someone use it, you're looking like novices.

I'm declaring myself back in for the next round, there's no point exiling myself in a gentlemanly manner for exotic play anymore. I'll show you moaners some ruddy high spots. I'll play a Shadwell Semi-Circular, an Upstream Interchange Traversal, hell I'll even use the stairs instead of the escalator at Angel if I want.

Don't be a spenk, you can't close a quadrant loop via the perpendicular under ROYAL Canadian rules, you need to be able to straddle the obtuse to do that and it's not allowed. Pay attention.

Anyway, time for a Wilson's 44, methinks:

Alexandra Palace

You've completely forgotten the Jupitus-Kay precedent set at the 1998 Commonwealth Tournament 3rd Round, where a quadrant loop collapsed under the weight of contenders in Nidd. If we're being technical, of course the loop can't close. However, we cannot defy the laws of physics unless you're playing with some unprecedentedly reinforced Nidd (which would be illegal under both MC and urban planning regulations). The quadrant shunt still exists, I'll even give you a clue: it's not Marble Arch.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since the current passage of play is now over, do we want to change the ruleset for the next one? My inclination is that we don't; I'm quite happy with the way things have been going even if I was beaten to the punch in that last session due to my procrastination during the wide play in the fifth percentile.

Enough prattle. To arms, gentlemen!

Arsenal

• Paid Members

And fate twists again. No rule switch means I start off in Nidd, but due to Chris B being put there solely through another player's actions, he can get out and make it as far as Zone 3 (but no further) if he so chooses. I thought it the gentlemanly course of action to point this out, which I hope will make up for any bad aftertaste from the last game.

Sometimes the most error strewn games can be the most entertaining. As long as i'm not the one making the errors!

Anyway; if you'll forgive the interruption of the natural turn sequence, now is the time to play my paired "Line match" cards (Jubilee Line) and take an extra turn. As I'm prohibited from sideshifting or zonal manipulation during a bonus turn, my options are a little limited. However, this should still advance my cause:

Holborn

• Paid Members

Piccadilly Circus

I'm not explaining my reasoning on this one, you can work it out for yourselves. But trust me - one foot wrong, and you'll find yourself in Nidd and Spoon quicker than Willie Rushton.

• Paid Members
And fate twists again. No rule switch means I start off in Nidd, but due to Chris B being put there solely through another player's actions, he can get out and make it as far as Zone 3 (but no further) if he so chooses. I thought it the gentlemanly course of action to point this out, which I hope will make up for any bad aftertaste from the last game.

While I thank opwcs for his gallant play, unfortunately I made the fatal error of trying to go for Harrow on the Hill, forgetting about the 1895 Gatiss-Pemberton rule. It's a basic play which I should have remembered, but I was just distracted. So I'm straight back in Nidd

• Paid Members

pat was a jammy bastard just then - he barely missed spiking himself on the acute perpendicular, which was one of the massive risks in the face of the play I made, which I can now reveal was a Fairley-Browne Slingshot gambit. Seems pat managed to defuse it with his "easing in", the jammy fucker.

Right, new tactic: no mystery this time, just a standard, invasive prong across the lateral:

Queensway

Slingshot gambits are always worth a try, even if it's only for the fun everyone else gets when they backfire. It was either very astute or spectacularly lucky play from pat there, I must say!

Consolidation is the name of the game for me. I'm going to try an inverse Central shift:

Bond Street

• Paid Members

Oh bother, we're still in Toronto variation, which means that a 24-hour stasis lock now nudges me to Nidd and Spoon. I'm going to keep things simple next time, taking risks just isn't paying off lately.

Archived