Mornington Crescent

Carbomb

I'm holding firm at Euston until everyone has attained at least a level three defence grade, otherwise Mornington Crescent will be taken within seconds of my move.

At this point in play it's obviously worth addressing the elephant in the room. Camden Town is still open for a seal-off from the Northern vector. If we do this we're going to have a stalemate whereby both of us are sent to Nidd, and Mornington Crescent becomes impossible to reach without a third player sacrificing their game by approaching Nidd at speed to propel both players back out. Leonard Van Vankelroy heroically did this in the so-called "Black Saturday" ranking tournament of 1968 and was never heard from again. Let this be a deterrent to any ignorant players. This is fun game, a gentleman's game, but let us not forget that improper play can be frought with danger.

Also, a warning to heed - TFL are running a training exercise whereby Whitechapel station will be used as a substitute Nidd until 9pm tonight. Original Nidd is of course still in play, but do not forget that the current ruleset has capacity for a single player in Nidd-by-Proxy. Be very careful if conducting your play in the East. If you enjoy a gamble though, you might want to voluntarily enter Nidd-by-Proxy and hope you are handed a Wildcard at the manager's discretion. Failing this generosity you will have to enter original Nidd.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

You need to be careful; there's a very marked difference between original Nidd, which you've just explained, and Original Nidd, as outlined and discarded by Lord Knaresborough when he first formulated the prototype rule. I think I speak for all of us when I say we do NOT, at any time, particularly in a gentlemen's game, talk about the latter.

I must say, I'm becoming a bit of a prolific user of the Wilson's 44, but that's because it's so versatile and effective. In this case, I'm using it to slide me across to Redbridge.

Wow, I'm getting a bit overwhelmed here. These quick-fire tactics are far removed from the curmudgeons on my local scene. However, i will not be undone. With southern defences being shored up, i feel a flanking move is in order, and with triple-interchange bonus rounds on offer on the board i have freedom. With that being said, i'll slide over to

Paddington

A three-pronged assault. Not only have I trans-substantiated original Nidd to Original Nidd, the triple-interchange limits disabled travel on all three perpindiculars, and i have unlocked the inner sanctum around MC. Although I am at risk to a helicopter overpass, the weather effects caused by this move makes such an attempt a last ditch option. Preparing smug mode...smug mode initiated.

Alright. I have retreated from my position at Euston. Limited options available to me. Pragmatism dictates I should pursue a transverse/lateral approach but really, we're well past that. Bearing in mind that everyone has poised themselves well for offensive play - as described above - it's clear that I can move unimpeded north of MC. My only real dilemma is which fork of the track past Camden Town I wish to take.

Archway of course presents a lethal proximity burden given my current accumulation. Therefore, I've decided to go to Brent Cross.

Now onto some unfortunate administrative errors:

Mikey, you failed in your move declaration to disclose which branch of Paddington you are at. It is an interchange station, however, given the ruleset we play under, the literal interpretation of the map applies, whereby the Hammersmith and City branch of Paddington is distinct from the Circle/District/Bakerloo branch. While the omission does not void your move (and you're very lucky too - almost all other variants of this ruleset would have seen you consigned to Nidd) you are still ambiguously placed. Convention 117A, paragraph 2 of the MC Handbook 2nd edition defines a similar precedent for Edgware Road, which also has two distinct branches defined on the current map. As such, we refer back to the earliest known route and destination for each component station as a means to determine your orientation. Accordingly, you are positioned westward-facing on the Hammersmith and City line. Sorry to break it to you this way, clearly you were otherwise in an enviable position to march directly to Mornington Crescent within 3 plays or less. Unfortunately, we cannot allow such ambiguity to exist. Even more unfortunately, no interchange stations exist on your current path, given that the line's terminus, Hammersmith, is itself subject to the same convention on the map. My best advice would be to hit your next play at speed, such that you may rebound off the buffers at Hammersmith and return to better position back along the line, by which time some positions for attacking play may have presented themselves.

Despite my grevious oversight, and your cunning attempt to box me in (Not exactly in the spirit of the game, but i digress), you neglected to tell the other players that old service tunnels are not banned under the Imperial ruleset. Therefore I have my freedom. It's time to go on the defensive, since you lot seem to want to batter me into submission. Shoring up the south since the North is pretty much impenetrable seems right.

Tottenham Court Road

I know I havent how shall we say been at the show, for a bit but I thought the Voight-Kompf 1952 expedition warranted more exploration. This came by way of a truly wicked play that left everyone aghast. Im sure their are tomes written of its validity. but who expected that? I mean really

So with that in mind I declare the Sherlock Holmes Proclamation which I believe is valid in this instance and very few others

Baker Street

• Paid Members

Hmmmmmm. This leaves me with very few options if I want to make winning plays, and there's only really one if I want to stand any chance of avoiding having my stack truncated: a thruppence turnpike across the border, which takes me to:

Cyprus

(the DLR station, not the country, which is where I would've ended up if I'd gone for a double huff)

The confusion conjunction can be lethal in such circumstances. I've seen it dump many a better player than me into Nidd for a long stay.

Given that we're two turns away from a possible powerplay and that the weekend rules will be in effect in ten minutes, I think, in the immortal words of Marty Mixer, "It's time to mix things up":

Bond Street

Clearly an April fool move.

Everyone knows that on that day you do not go to a venue that is both A: In Monopoly and B: Green within Monopoly

Whole Tournaments have been lost due to this misplay - who can Forget the Wrestlemania 6 tournement uprising. RIP Slavetsky.

This creates a double back effect sliding through Fenchurch Street, Marylebone and back up to Latimer Road.

Only one thing can save us now, I am willing to take that stand.

Shepherds Bush

Archived