Mornington Crescent

Carbomb

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a newbie to this wondrous game I have been studying meticulously in the history of MC and have discovered a rarely used move which should give me the upper-hand. The move in question was used at the 1972 Newton Aycliffe Gala by the legendary Mario Camatcho which launched him into an unbeatable position. Therefore I am invoking the Middlesex Trench which will leave me high and dry in Stanmore whilst the rest of you will be struggling to make a move on the next turn.

Both acceptable starting moves, especially for first timers; however, it's always worth making sure you're aware of the variant sub-rules. In this case, we're using a Canadian ruleset which allows for lateral slides, linebreakers after the third turn and Powerplays to be used at any time (yes, you did read that correctly.)

As such, the following is not only open to me as a legal move, but affords me an extra Paired Line card as a bonus:

Kings Cross

• Paid Members

Oh, beautiful plays, sirs. Excellent work, and great studying on your part, Espanacas.

You haven't quite left me in such a vulnerable position, though - the move to King's Cross means I can use a shimmy yet again, in line with the Gregorovich Skewer stratagem, and go to:

Heathrow Terminals 1, 2 & 3

Doesn't that marginalise you for the mid game? You'll be safe from reversals and overtrumping but won't be in a position to take advantage of gaps in the defensive lines.

As for my next move, it's by no means a classic but I think it'll help a few people:

Tufnell Park

• Paid Members

It would marginalise me if Terminal 5 hadn't been built, but as it is, I can simply double back and take:

South Kensington

That should get all but one out of Nidd.

I'm not going to fall into the trap of relying on Powerplays, it's a young man's strategy. Too excitable, not enough patience.

No showboating here, just a simple one stop play, from Holborn to Russell Square

Fail Sir! I think you have forgotten the often discounted but always useful Onomatopoeia ruling from the Newark '69 conference, whereby at spring equinox, any stations that have Onomatopoeia sounds to their names are red flagged and therefore reverse the go.

Russell Station falls within those confines for obvious reasons.

Therefore I take the baton, and go Camden Lock.

• Paid Members
Fail Sir! I think you have forgotten the often discounted but always useful Onomatopoeia ruling from the Newark '69 conference, whereby at spring equinox, any stations that have Onomatopoeia sounds to their names are red flagged and therefore reverse the go.

You double-fail, sir, because there is no such station, Underground or Overground. Which is a massive shame because you would have won in one play if you'd gone for Camden Road Overground.

As it is:

Mornington Crescent

• Paid Members

You double-fail, sir, because there is no such station, Underground or Overground. Which is a massive shame because you would have won in one play if you'd gone for Camden Road Overground.

As it is:

Mornington Crescent

Sorry, Carbomb, but I'm going to void this one. Canal play is rare, but it is allowed, which means that Locks are in play.

Still in Nidd

As it is:

Mornington Crescent

Sorry, Carbomb, but I'm going to void this one. Canal play is rare, but it is allowed, which means that Locks are in play.

Still in Nidd

I think it stands; we are in a Canadian variant, which doesn't use Locks. (Most don't use Locks at all, and those that do have to wait until after Easter and the spring snowmelt.)

We can call an official review if you like but if you turn out to be wrong it'll cost you all of your link cards.

• Paid Members

As it is:

Mornington Crescent

Still in Nidd

I think it stands; we are in a Canadian variant, which doesn't use Locks. (Most don't use Locks at all, and those that do have to wait until after Easter and the spring snowmelt.)

We can call an official review if you like but if you turn out to be wrong it'll cost you all of your link cards.

We don't need an official review. I can just point simply towards the fact that riverboats are in play, which means that canals and locks MUST be.

Archived