Mornington Crescent

Carbomb

I've finally hit Heathrow Airport - since we're using a fairly old version of the rules but a relatively modern interpretation, is the Heathrow Express legal? Or do I have to go round the loop as per Chelmington's famous victory in the classic Ditchbury Trophy Final of 1973?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, having dusted myself down after the last brouhaha at the Rounders and Bashall District Fives Match ( of which Iam sure there is going to be much future discussion, as some of the moves were truly outrageous. I can only hope that the Nu (yes, Nu :( ) Hebblesden-Jones Strategy doesnt catch on in mainstream play as it completely negates, Franklyn's Spoilt Broth. It was so disappointing.) I'am going to dive straight in with the relatively straightforward move of South Kensington

• Paid Members

It just went from bad to worse with me. I've not posted because I've been not only In Spoon, but now In Silent Nidd. I've only just got out, so I'm now back In Nidd and Spoon. Some progress being made, I suppose.

• Paid Members

It's fine for you Dean, you at least stand chance to get back on track. What about me? Thanks to my gambit last game I was stuck in the toilets at Skegness. Which means that due to the lesser known "locked in" rules in regards to Thompson's Wembley rules, I am stuck there until such time as either this game finishes, or someone is in the vicinity to unlock the doors to the bogs. Due to the god awful location I got myself stuck in, I highly doubt anyone will be coming by this way, as it doesn't, in fact, lead anywhere.

My only other option is to continue drawing at the quarter turn of each play that is made, on the offchance that I am able to find a hooligan to break the doors down. Which would then leave me in the unenviable situation of trying to get myself out of that problem before I could even consider leaving the station.

My luck appears to be going from bad to worse though, as instead of a hooligan I've got the shits.

Tantalisingly close to victory with my first move. I entered the tube network on foot several moments ago at Mornington Crescent station. Unfortunately, this was a rookie mistake as I am obliged to make a movement by rail before the first move can be deemed complete. As such, I moved one station up to Camden Town. Sadly, I have been swamped by gap year types who believe this area is in someway 'cool' and 'happening', unaware that their presence is a magnet for deviants. As such I have been mugged, including all of my money and travelcard. I must now find my way home on foot.

Result: Movement voided.

• Paid Members
Shit the bed - I fell asleep and have woken up in Doncaster.

Anyone got any ideas as to where to go from here?

It's a long shot Dean, but you could try an Antipositional Exchange, allowing you to move to any station in the region with a high-speed connection to London. This would, however, require a

I tried to get the fast train from Doncaster down to Kings Cross to get back onto the Underground network, but hit engineering works which hampered my progress. So instead I attempted a perpendicular hitch along the Archimedes' Spiral, got caught in heavy people traffic, bumped into Carbomb, shook hands with him, which means that I am now in fucking Nidd as well. Fuck's sake.

• Paid Members
It appears the Infernal Gallop to Old Street has triggered the stasis lock again.

Does that put me in Nidd?

No, but takes me out of it. Unfortunately, I'm still In Spoon, which means I can only use the 2nd lateral for one move:

Westbourne Park

The 2nd parallel is currently bordering the vertical. Axiomatic counterplays being legal and with both clockwise and anticlockwise underscoring proving impossible due to Smith's Seventh (don't we know that feeling), I am forced into a corner. Figuratively and literally, since I am at Hyde Park Corner.

VERY IMPORTANT ADDENDUM: I spoke prematurely - I had not exited the station to complete my turn. Upon arrival at the ticket office through which I intended to exit the station, a member of staff noted my rosette from last month's open invitational and advised me that, due to escalator work and the inconvenience caused to my game, he handed me an intercontinental concurrent play card they had in the duty manager's office. These are incredibly hard to find, and have traded hands for several hundred pounds on ebay. Back in the day of course, these were handed out willy nilly to staff - a perk of the job if you will - but of course few of these exist now in circulation given their ease of use. Naturally I thanked the gentleman profusely. As fate would have it, while undertaking the escalator work, a box of unused cards was found underneath. Years of escalator grease and dirt had damaged many beyond recognition, and certainly beyond use, but 13 cards remained. At the time of writing they had just three remaining. Anyone considering their next move might wish to consider Hyde Park Corner en route to pick up such a goody.

SO, what dare I do with such a rare treat? Money's a bit tight so putting it on Ebay did go through my mind. However, no Mornington Crescent aficionado worth his salt could part with such a card under these circumstances with a clear conscience. In the spirit of fair and honest competition and in the tradition of this fine pursuit, I have elected to redeem this card as follows. It is by no means a winning move, but it is a movement that in the modern era you are likely to see once in a lifetime. I, folks, declare myself in a first class seat on the Shinkansen between Tokyo and Kyoto. I fully realise I have dead-ended myself here, but who could begrudge playing the game with such flourish?

• Paid Members

A spectacular bit of play, sir. But, whilst I'm indeed appreciative you've used it in this gentlemen's game, it's a shame you didn't use it in a competitive tournament game; I'm sure you'd have accumulated hundreds of ranking groats if you had.

• Paid Members

Indeed, one can't help but feel rather privileged to see such a wonderful move grace our humble contest. Good show, sir, good show.

Anyway, that brings it back round to me again, but I'm still trapped with the performance artist at Hackney Wick, praying he doesn't find the copy of Frantic Planet Volume I tucked away in my satchel. Carry on.

Archived